Zildjian A custom or K cymbal pack?

muszogo

Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy a cymbal pack, but unfortunately I can't decide between the Zildjian A custom and the K cymbals. I'm gonna need them for a wide range of music styles. What's your experience? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Both sets are very high quality and versatile.
The A Customs will be a 'modern' sound - slightly cleaner and brighter with less 'shhhhh' in the sound, and slightly louder.

The K's are a more traditional sound, lower pitch, more wash from the ride, a deeper, washier sound from the crashes, and softer, washier hats. Not as loud, but never harsh.

The K's are more fashionable at the moment, and probably favour jazz and quieter styles.
AC's were really popular in the 90's with big loud kits, and probably favour rock styles. Both sets can be used for any style of music if you play them right.

My only recommendation is to go with the A391 pack over the A Custom pack. I had an A Custom pack for two years, and while they were great cymbals, I had difficulty getting them to produce some quite/lower dynamic stuff. I ultimately migrated to a set of giant K's, but am still eyeballing a set of A's once my budget allows them.

I'd also recommend Sabian AA's, but their pack doesn't include the 18", which makes it a very poor value.

I would opt for K's. To me they are the more 'refined' sound. A Customs are very bright, mostly 'classic rock' sound (being general here).
If it matters, I would say the resale value of a K is higher than an A, if you ever sell them.

My only recommendation is to go with the A391 pack over the A Custom pack. I had an A Custom pack for two years, and while they were great cymbals, I had difficulty getting them to produce some quite/lower dynamic stuff. I ultimately migrated to a set of giant K's, but am still eyeballing a set of A's once my budget allows them.

I'd also recommend Sabian AA's, but their pack doesn't include the 18", which makes it a very poor value.

Yup,I'd take traditional A's over A custom any day of the week.

Yep....Zildjian A391 pack. Done.

I bought a pack of A customs about a month ago from Cascio. I really like them! I have to admit, that one of the deciding factors is that although MAP is $749, the had this set priced at $619, plus had a 15% coupon deal. Hard to pass up a nice ride, two quality crashes, and a great set of hats for about $515!

I will admit that what got me to their sight was that they still had a few A rock packs with a 22" ride and 15" hats. I was torn between the two, but the great deal tipped the scale. Plus I'd never tried brilliant finish before. A customs sound great, AND look great.

Questions like these are similar to someone asking ME what kind of ice cream THEY should like.

Personally, I'd go for the Mocha Almond Fudge. (K) There are plenty of people who like Caramel Swirl, though, so you'd be safe if you chose that one, too. (A Custom)

Questions like these are similar to someone asking ME what kind of ice cream THEY should like.

Personally, I'd go for the Mocha Almond Fudge. (K) There are plenty of people who like Caramel Swirl, though, so you'd be safe if you chose that one, too. (A Custom)

This is why I don't play K's... I hate almonds!! ;-)

Back