Your choices for Best low price , mid price and high end kit

You think Renown and DW Design are the equivalent of a Starclassic Maple or Ludwig CM?
I just think once you get past say a Ludwig Neusonic that it's a sea of change. I've owned 3 of the 4 you mention (not the DW) and I can tell you there isn't as much difference between them as you might think. I see your point price wise but if you're asking me if I think either a CM or SCM is worth over $3K I'd probably say no. They both seemed reasonable when they were in the 2200-2500 range. That's what I'm referring to when I say that ship has sailed. Who'd have thunk that you'd see Mapex Saturns in the $3K range? Nothing against them but they were a lot more fun when they were $1750 or so.

I just think once you get past say a Ludwig Neusonic that it's a sea of change. I've owned 3 of the 4 you mention (not the DW) and I can tell you there isn't as much difference between them as you might think. I see your point price wise but if you're asking me if I think either a CM or SCM is worth over $3K I'd probably say no. They both seemed reasonable when they were in the 2200-2500 range. That's what I'm referring to when I say that ship has sailed. Who'd have thunk that you'd see Mapex Saturns in the $3K range? Nothing against them but they were a lot more fun when they were $1750 or so.

No doubt the price hikes have moved everything above their previous price points. But as prices fluctuate universally the structure of the relativity between the brands and their drum series remains.

And between $1K and $3500 you have an overlapping of mid range and high end series.
So while I might consider the Renown, for example, the finest in it's price range, if it's price range includes $3500 kits, then you have apples and oranges in one class.

Last edited:
Low: Stage Custom
Mid: If the price goes up to 3500$, I will put the Yamaha Live Custom Hybrid Oak in there, just because I'm so satisfied with my own kit. You might not get the most drums for the price (someone would probably rate them as high-end now) , but they ticked all my boxes at least. Tama Starclassic W/B or Mapex Saturn are more "bang for the bucks" so they should also be mentioned.
High: Tama Star or Sonor SQ2

Low - There's some amazing kits that will last a lifetime and in the right pair of hands will sound amazing. Stage Custom, Pearl Exports, Mapex Armory, Tama Superstar

Mid - For me it's the Mapex Saturn. Insanely well made drums for the price and yes I am biased. Everyone else offers professional quality drums at this price.

High End - Never needed to venture into this neck of the woods. If I did I'd get something a bit special like a segmented or steambent kit. Maybe one day I'll bite the bullet and lie to the missus and get a Craviotto!

Last edited:
No doubt the price hikes have moved everything above their previous price points. But as prices fluctuate universally the structure of the relativity between the brands and their drum series remains.

And between $1K and $3500 you have an overlapping of mid range and high end series.
So while I might consider the Renown, for example, the finest in it's price range, if it's price range includes $3500 kits, then you have apples and oranges in one class.
So chop it up more like @s1212z did in his post. It's @RickP 's thread. I didn't make the rules. What are you pickin' on me for? I just woke up! ;):coffee:

It's a tricky question, there are a number of great kits that sit at lower price points to pick from and a range of mid and high end that many may prefer over really high end boutique without even considering the price, myself include. I think almost every major brand has a 'high-end' or professional line that would fit well in the $2000-3500 zone I didn't get to mention that could be topic in itself; I limited to 3pc just because I could live with that and range of options opens up a bit and finish option changes it completely too. I appreciate the boutique stuff, the craftsmanship that goes the extra mile for something unique and inspirational....and a mountain of creative custom builders out there to check out and give attention. Admittingly, if over 10k or something crazy, it gets a bit weird...don't want to stress handling it or traveling.

Irrespective of recent price hikes, I am struck by the number of quality kits available at "affordable" prices.

If the mid-range is 1k to 3.5k then it seems there is a huge selection that would qualify as life-time kits.

Affordable is of course subjective. The used market expands this definition.

Low....... Pearl Export, the old long lug type.

Mid........Mapex Armory in the 10,12,14,16 22x18 configuration.

High.......Premier Signia.

As far as low end kits below 1,000. I love my poplar shelled Tama Imperialstar kit. I guess for not much more you could get the maple shell Superstar (I picked up my kit for $500 brand new so could not pass it up). With Ambassador heads top and bottom the kit sounds great.

shell construction looks like good quality and the HW is great for my needs.

No comment on the other tiers since I have no first hand experience.

Low End - Yamaha Stage Custom
Mid Price - Gretsch Brooklyn (since your definition of mid price goes up to $3500)
High End - Gretsch Broadkaster (modern build > vintage build)

Personally, I think $3500 is too high to be considered mid priced. I'd cap it at no more than $2500, or possibly even $2000. If that's the case, then my mid price selection would change to a Gretsch Renown since a Brooklyn kit would no longer come in under that budget.

Least expensive - any of the imports under $1k - doesn't really matter unless it has some specific feature you like.

Mid priced and above - anything made in the USA - my preference is Ludwig first, and Gretsch second.
Imports not in the running for me at or above mid price.
Like no Sonor? No Canopus?

Low end: Tama Superstar Classic. $799 3 piece kits. Low end $$$ Pro quality drums.
Medium: DW Performance (can be found for same $$ as Gretsch Renown). Canopus Yaiba.
High end: Sonor SQ1 SQ2. Prolite. Vintage.

Low End - Yamaha Stage Custom
Mid Price - Gretsch Brooklyn (since your definition of mid price goes up to $3500)
High End - Gretsch Broadkaster (modern build > vintage build)

Personally, I think $3500 is too high to be considered mid priced. I'd cap it at no more than $2500, or possibly even $2000. If that's the case, then my mid price selection would change to a Gretsch Renown since a Brooklyn kit would no longer come in under that budget.
I agree. I say Tama Star, SQ2, PHX, even DW Exotics or whatever they call them are like luxury high end.
I consider Absolute Hybrid Maples, Starclassic Maples, Gretsch Brooklyn / USA Customs, Ludwig Classic Maples to be high end. All can be had for around 2500 to 3500.
Once you get into Star, top of the line DW and SQ2’s your in lux territory.

Not everyone has the disposable income or desire to own those lines. Give me an AHM, Starclassic Maple or USA Custom and I can play any professional gig, on the biggest stage, on the planet and put the extra cash in my retirement account.

Last edited:
Entry level:
acoustic: Tama Rhytme mate. Electronic: Yamaha DTX6-K1
mid level:
acoustic: ASBA stainless steel kit. Electronic: Efnote 3
high level:
acoustic: Yamaha AHM & Dw Collector’s. Electronic: Efnote 7

Back