you can only pick two snare drums...

The Edge

What do you pick? I'm choosing my 5x14 Gretsch USA Custom. The 2nd one...not sure. What are you choosing?

5 x 14 Ludwig Black Beauty doesn't matter which era they are all great.

7 x 14 Noble &Cooley Classic SS - the snare that got everyone interested in steam bent snares again.

Honorable mention would go to :
Ludwig Supraphonic 400 or 402

I'd have an LM402...and maybe an LM400 as well.

I would go with the 6.5 Black Beauty and the second one would be a 6.5 Black Beauty.

My 14" x 5" ebony stave with cast hoops.

My 14" x 6" mahogany stave with segmented wood hoops & symphonic triple throw strainer.

Both by Guru Drumworks, & between them, cover everything from ultimate crack to ultimate woodiness, & everything in between.

A 5" or 5.5" metal drum for crack, clang, ping, pop and ritty-titty.

A 6" or 6.5" wood drum (probably maple) for blam, boooosh, thwap and ratatat-tat.

Couldn't agree with this more! Need to get me a maple snare

14 x 6 maple 1 3/4" thick Peavey radial pro 1000
14 x 6.5 hammered brass Worldmax black dog

I'd take 2 Tama 1980's Bell Brass' - only thing i regret selling...

Attachments

• BELLBRASSsmall.jpeg
    BELLBRASSsmall.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,313
I would have to go with one of these as my second pick. Just a great sounding snare drum. I have a bunch of other excellent choices as we go third, forth and fifth, lol.

DSC_0087-1.jpg

Dennis

80's vintage Ludwig Black Beauty bronze shell hammered 6 1/2x 14
40's vintage Slingerland Radio King steam bent maple WMP,7x14

Steve B

Couldn't agree with this more! Need to get me a maple snare

Yeah, my current go-to snares are a 5" Black Beauty and a 6.5" DW Craviatto Solid-Shell Maple.

Both are incredibly versatile, however, and the BB will tune down nicely for a Gadd-ish sound and the Craviatto likes to be tuned up for jazz and big band.

Ultimately, I want versatility from a drum, because I make adjustments on the same gig frequently - adding or subtracting muffling, changing snare tension and even tuning if I have the time, though that's seldom a luxury.

I do have a little collection of snares that are more specific, however.

Wood: My 6.5" x 14" x 1/2" thick custom bubinga stave shell mounted in a Pearl Free Floating frame.

Metal: My Sonor D508 ferro - 8" x 14".

Barry

Last edited:
I only have two at the moment and am not looking to add anything.

6.5x14 Black Beauty
6.5x14 Supra

Both are smooth shells with Imps, P-86 with PureSound Blasters, and S-Hoops on the batter sides.

Jalapeno Prestige 16x6

prod_snare_4bott_full.jpg

And probably either a Jalapeno Elite 8x5.5 or a Pearl JJ-1365 13x6.5

djOaZXrof2bAtWKUUy7TJa56-ItaagAkbvtKHzlFBl3TRxizaJPzQaUE_LX9RIdKAMJ6WQDwtZPLrZZ8vO4mJX7md6bGfNqBj3lnyyiD95QiiCDXGOlfo2joVV_JN6MXxu5H_v0fwddAdkBouPnvk7tP6MkK

my 6.5 x 14 Black Beauty and my 14 x 8 Brady Blackheart.

F

Back