Yamaha EAD10

That is a nifty little gadget. It seems like it is great for jamming along and recording, but I guess that is what it was designed to do. It sounds good through my office computer speakers. Nice playing too. My good speaker setup is in the conference room so I may have to bring it up over there.
How do you like the other sounds and scenes in the unit? I would like to get one, but I will wait until there is a v2.

Hi,

I only use it at home but hope to gig with it soon. Some of the provided scenes I will most likely never use but many of them are nice just they way they are. You can also make your own up as well. Very easy setup and the Rec-N-Share app from Yamaha works great.
Thanks

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts if you use it live. So you can upload your own samples? That's good. I would love to see what the next generation can do.

I only use it at home but hope to gig with it soon.

I used the EAD an a few gigs. It perfomed better in low volume settings, where bleed from amplified instruments was limited. On larger/louder stages I had to dial the sensitivity right back - which kind of defeats the purpose.

Based on my experience, for louder stages, some kind of isolation (plexiglass shields, etc.) is required to get the most out of the EAD.

It is an outstanding effects tool for drums. For drummers taking their first steps in home-recording, the EAD is THE cost-effective way to get going.

Edit: I use Yamaha DT50S & K triggers with a Yamaha module for one project. For loud stages, it's still the best option for layering sounds.

Last edited:
I used the EAD an a few gigs. It perfomed better in low volume settings, where bleed from amplified instruments was limited. On larger/louder stages I had to dial the sensitivity right back - which kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks for this. I just bought one of these and plan to give it a go when I start gigging with a new cover band next month. I'm hoping the venues and stage volume will fit within its limitations. We'll find out.

So, I used the EAD10 @ two gigs and, so far anyway, I've not been able to take advantage of the microphone, just the trigger. It's not the device's fault, it's just the size of the venues and stage volume (as sumdrumguy noted) make it impractical. I wasn't sure how useful this would be going in; it's a new band and new venues for me, but at this point, I might as well just be using a bass drum trigger and sound module. I do dig blending the kick drum voices with the drum's acoustic sound (lots of compliments on the drum sound overall) and I'm using a pad to play percussion. But again, the EAD10 is overkill for that. And, I wonder if a trigger that touches the drum head would offer up a bit more sensitivity than the hoop-mounted EAD?

Practicing with it is a lot of fun. For a person like me who is not well-versed in signal processing, it's a quick and easy way to create sounds I find pleasing. And, it's easy to make brief recordings of things I'm working on that I can listen back to right away. So I'll be holding onto it for now.

So, I used the EAD10 @ two gigs and, so far anyway, I've not been able to take advantage of the microphone, just the trigger. It's not the device's fault, it's just the size of the venues and stage volume (as sumdrumguy noted) make it impractical. I wasn't sure how useful this would be going in; it's a new band and new venues for me, but at this point, I might as well just be using a bass drum trigger and sound module. I do dig blending the kick drum voices with the drum's acoustic sound (lots of compliments on the drum sound overall) and I'm using a pad to play percussion. But again, the EAD10 is overkill for that. And, I wonder if a trigger that touches the drum head would offer up a bit more sensitivity than the hoop-mounted EAD?

Practicing with it is a lot of fun. For a person like me who is not well-versed in signal processing, it's a quick and easy way to create sounds I find pleasing. And, it's easy to make brief recordings of things I'm working on that I can listen back to right away. So I'll be holding onto it for now.

Yea it's hard to gig with just that and nothing else on some bigger stages. And on smaller stages you can get bleed from other instruments sometimes. I like to use it with other microphones. Like tom mics, bass mics, snare and sometimes overheads depending on the venue size. If you have enough room in your board or mixer it's a nice device to make your kit sound just a little bigger and more full

One thing I really like about it is using a little bit of reverb, turning the volume pretty low and then barely EQing the rest of my kit except the bass drum which I mix a lot. But then it blends with the regular mic sounds of my kit real well and I still get a nice organic sound of the drums with a little reverb in the background

But yea it's hard to use just the Ead10 in a live setting, it's amazing like that for practice though. I haven't even messed with the trigger add ons yet

The EAD module applies the chosen scene/effect to whatever the bass drum mic picks up. Great for drums in isolation - home practice/studio recording. In a live environment, with sound leak from other instruments, things get muddy.

For performances needing a hybrid setup, I use Yamaha DT50S & K triggers with a DTX900 Trigger module. Or triggers plus a DTX-Multi 12 if I need more pre-sets.

Another update: After a couple of gigs with the EAD, I'd found I wasn't able to get a wide enough dynamic range with the hoop-mounted trigger. Specifically, I couldn't get it to respond to the softest strokes without running into double-triggering issues with louder strokes. So, I bought a DT50K trigger, which puts the transducer directly on the head and bam, much better tracking.

Still a cool device but this is another limitation that makes it not so useful for my purposes.

Hi, I am curious, is it possible to convert a video I created on the EAD10 to audio? Say I wanted to just listen to a recorded track without the video?

Hi, I am curious, is it possible to convert a video I created on the EAD10 to audio? Say I wanted to just listen to a recorded track without the video?
The Yamaha EAD10 doesn't record video. To record video you need to hook up an iPhone or iPad. For audio, you can record a small amount directly to the unit, or an almost endless amount onto a USB drive (30 minutes at a time).

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/0/1133900/ead10_en_om_a0.pdf

To extract the audio portion of the videos you've created, you should be able to do that with some sort of file conversion or audio software.

I just got one of these last week. At home, it's a blast to play with. The built-in click and ability to play along and record are awesome. I used it at a live gig, but it was a small-ish room, so we ended up not running it through the PA. But I did use it for personal monitoring. In that it excelled, but the mics reject a lot off-axis, so I could hear myself very well, but not so well the other instruments. I think running it into a small mixer along with a room mic would be a good solution for simple live monitoring. Then again, if you're already bringing a mixer and a mic, then just tossing in another mic for an overhead and kick drum combo might do just as well if you don't need the effects.

I usually play in small bars, and I think this would do well for that application, where you just need a little reinforcement to fill out the sound and provide some low end through the speakers. Looking forward to trying it out at the next gig and at band rehearsals.

Back