YAMAHA DTX8 TCS X ROLAND TD27KV2?

Diverticulo

Hi!

I am looking to buy my second edrum kit. My first kit is a CarlsBro EDx100, and thankfully I think I outgrew it.

I'm beetween a Roland TD27kv2 and a Yamaha DTX8 TCS.
I am inclined to the Yamaha kit, but there's something I can't make it quite clear.

Is the DTX8 TCS snare capable to differenciate cross stick and rimshot triguering automaticly?
(I like to play samba, and cross sticks are really important)

I saw the long version of Simon Edgoose's video on the DTX8 and DTX10.
I was under the impression that the snare had only 2 chanels. He also mentions that the mesh head pads did'nt automatic made cross stick sounds, but maybe he meant it only for the mesh heads, and not the TCS.

Then I saw this second video from another post in this forum.
Maybe de cross stick sound triguers only based in strengh, or intensity?

I've also saw the 65drums first impressions on the TD27kv2. He mentions that the triguering of the cross stick happens everytime the hand toutches the mesh head. He also say's that the sensibility of the triguering is not awesome.

Anyway, I really don't know wich kit to choose based on the acuracy of automatic cross stick triguering. I live in Brazil, and I've looked in many stores, no one has neither of this kits for me to try before buying, wich makes the decision making even harder.

Any tips are very very welcome.

Thank you so much in advance.

Is the DTX8 TCS snare capable to differenciate cross stick and rimshot triguering automaticly?
(I like to play samba, and cross sticks are really important)
If snare rimshots/ cross-sticking are your main concern then both seem capable of doing the job BUT I believe you get the digital snare with the TD27KV2 which has an electrostatic layer (same tech as touch screens) which sense when your hand is resting on the mesh head and automatically sense what you want to play.

AFAIK the Yamaha snare doesn't offer this feature....

Yamaha XP125SD-X​

This is a completely new design of 12-inch snare pad. It uses a high quality birch drum shell , and is finished with the same color finishing technology as Yamaha's professional acoustic drums.
The playing surface uses Yamaha's Textured Cellular Silicone (TCS) material, which has a unique structure that encloses numerous air bubbles of a precise size and frequency. The surface material of the TCS imitates the feel of a coated head.
By changing the thickness of the TCS material, and the number of bubbles, we can create a tactile feel suitable for snare drum performance. In addition, the pad is 2-zone for the head and rim triggering, and it can accurately translate rim shots and cross-sticks. Both the head and rim detect the impact point, allowing the pad to offer a uniquely detailed, positional sensitive performance.
The shells are formed and finished at Yamaha's acoustic drum factory, and the lugs and hoops are the same as those used on Yamaha's acoustic drums.
This pad is every bit a beautiful as a Yamaha snare drum.

Roland PD-140DS​

The PD-140DS digital snare pad works with the high-speed processing in the TD-27 module to bring the ultimate expression to your snare work. A three-layer mesh head is fitted to a standard 14-inch shell for natural rebound and feel. The multi-element sensor system tracks your playing across the pad, with head, rimshots, and cross-stick techniques all instantly detected in real time—without needing to change settings in the module.

Really, you need to go and try both options for yourself and see what works for you :)

[opinion bit]
Given those two:
TD = proprietary cable snake and fake modelled synthesized sounds.
DTX = individual inputs and multi-layered sampled sounds (up to 120 samples a pad).

Note the DTX does also support the "older" TCS (and rubber) physical 3-zone pads as well which have three totally distinct zones (head + 2 rim areas) so there's always room to use those should you feed that module software isn't working for you. (same tech that's used on the multiple 3-zone cymbals that kit has - not just the ride).

1692698224669.png1692698284873.png

Back