Yamaha 7000

gish

Confession time- I’m always on the lookout for a nice Yamaha 8000 kit. I just love those drums, and will have one someday. Anyway, I spotted this ad on Craigslist recently. After doing some research I believe these are Yamaha 7000 drums (which until now I never knew existed). Can anyone confirm if the shells are the same formula? Also curious about the overall quality of the shell hardware; lugs, Spurs, and if those metal bass drum hoops are original. I’m thinking this kit could possibly be a real sleeper, but I have been wrong before. If anyone has experience with these drums, I could use some feedback.

Last edited:
Never knew Yamaha made drums in ROC in the 80s. If anything else made at that time in ROC is an indication, I would say run!

Never knew Yamaha made drums in ROC in the 80s. If anything else made at that time in ROC is an indication, I would say run!
Close up of the badges say made in Taiwan, Republic of China, so not actually made in the mainland. Interior of the shells look nice though, don’t you think?

They do, but even back then Taiwan wasn't what it is today with their manufacturing. The set looks nice though. Tough call. I'd say if you always wanted the 8000 series, hold out for those. I take no issue with stuff made in Taiwan today. Just recall Taiwan being associated with all things super junky back then. These may be different. I just don't know.

Lol part of me says do it, its Yamaha. The other part of me says dont buy anything from a drummer who can't correctly set up gear:

20200728_091423.jpg

I'm not seeing a double tom mount either. How are you supposed to mount the extra rack tom?

Confession time- I’m always on the lookout for a nice Yamaha 8000 kit. I just love those drums, and will have one someday. Anyway, I spotted this ad on Craigslist recently. After doing some research I believe these are Yamaha 7000 drums (which until now I never knew existed). Can anyone confirm if the shells are the same formula?
From the info. I've been able to gather.

The 7000 series was kinda Yamaha's research baby. They originated in 1978. At that time, there was only the 9000 and 7000 series. 9000's became the Recording Custom. 9000's are all birch shells.

In 1978, 7000's were camellia/philippine mahogany.

1980, the 7000's went to birch/philippine mahogany formula.

1981, the 7000's went to agathis/philippine mahogany (probably what this kit you question is).

Now .... I believe the 8000 series was birch/philippine mahogany. And that WAS the 1980 7000 formula. Yamaha took that shell, and added the 9000 series split lug (RC's went to the long lug in 1980) ...... and that became the 8000 series.

7000 series lugs were used in the Stage (5000) series ..... which grew into what is now the Stage Custom. I believe those early shells were philippine mahogany (1980-1995)

I have 7000's in sizes 14x10 and 18x16 (Dark Wood finish) which date them to be 1982 or later. Excellent drums. I'd buy that kit in a minute ...... sell off all the hardware and cymbals ....... and have a really nice, fairly rare Yamaha kit, for a couple hundred bucks.

Killer kits.

And Made i. Taiwan, ROC means nothing in Yamaha terms.

They even made the RC there.

I had a mixed RC kit and it was all the same great quality and sound.

The good thing anout the hesitation of some is, kits like these 5 and 7000’s, can be had for 150-350 without any problem

Back