Yamaha 12" Manu Katche Junior Snare Drum

double bass man

Years ago I bought S/H a Yamaha 5 1/2"deep 12" snare drum to get into jazz style. Put it away for a number of years and recently got back to snare drumming--jazz style. The heads are the original Yamaha heads. I have been doing some research on heads and the snare wires. Is the snare drum I have worth spending money on upgrading to the following heads---would the upgrading get me a decent jazz sound?

a)The batter head---Remo Fiberskin 'Diplomat' head
b)The Snare head---A transparent extra thin head? Which make?
c) Regarding the snare wires---Which one to get for a 'jazzy' sound?

I am a newbe to the drum world--hence questions. Your advice most welcome. In time I hope to get a 14" snare drum.

Many thanks.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There are two schools of thought about "jazz" drum heads. The first is to replicate "dark and warm" sounding animal heads with synthetic fiberskyn/calftone/modern vintage heads. The other is to go the all-around single-ply 10-mil coated ambassador/g1/texture coated route. Its your choice. I'm guessing the stock Yamaha heads is the latter. If it isn't worn out to the point that brushes don't make a sound anymore, just keep it.

For snare side heads, any 3-mil clear or hazy head will do. That means ambassador snare/300/classic clear snare side. Again I think this is the stock Yamaha snare-side head. So unless you need extra sensitivity, and can't put up with shorter life of a 2-mil head, a 3-mil snare head will do just fine.

Stock snares will probably do also. No need to change unless they're broken, bent, or missing strands.

Many thanks makinao for your reply. Great advice. I will keep what I have
'as is'. Where I am currently at on the snare I should think upgrading what I have would not make a lot of difference at the moment in time. When it is time to move on I will move on to a better snare.

Back