Worship drummer - variety?

Worship music is made to be simple so that the widest variety of people can easily sing and worship to it. It ain't prog rock, that's for sure.

Around 2008 I was asked to play in a band of "school of rock" teachers for a one-night gig. The material was all my favorite 60s & 70s music. Within a day of practicing to the music, I realized I'd lost a lot of my feel & chops for the music. It was very disappointing. I began to play in bar/club bands in an effort to get back what I lost, eventually playing in several funk bands. As a Christian, why not play in clubs & bars? WWJD? He'd be jamming in the clubs!

For me as a Christian, I don't play in church at all (many good drummers in my congregation), but do my best to maintain my Christian values while playing in clubs and bars. I like the music I play better anyway & it keeps me on point with creativity.

I fully understand how worship music can be creatively stifling after a while as many of what's played sounds like the other. And if you become "That Guy" in the church band who wants to take the songs to a new rhythmic level, you get the stink eye from the others who "don't want to rock the boat".
A few drummers in my congregation have passed the sticks onto another because they felt like they weren't going anywhere musically.
In no way did their faith wane, they just didn't feel playing the music did anything for them.

The progressive god botherer himself Mr Neal Morse.

Get your teeth into The Door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JZm5rRfEhQ

Failing that anything from Testimony or Grand Experiment would suffice.

I love his solo stuff, easily the strangest genre out there and one that's hard to top christian progressive rock.

Slayer
Cannibal Corpse
Backstreet Boys
Postmortem panty-raiders

With the exception of Slayer, those are probably entirely inappropriate.

G7tJm3ot.gif

I played on a praise & worship team for nearly 20 years and toward the end of my involvement, which was around 2012, most of the music sounded the same to me. Hillsong, Jesus Culture, etc.

As for mainstream Christian music, I do enjoy listening to Third Day. Some of my favorite Christian artists:
Phil Keaggy - Any, but I'm partial to 220 (instrumental album)
Gideon's Press - Bound For Nineveh (2009) This was their only release. Music has a clear Rush influence & great drumming. I dig the album. I saw them at a summer festival in my town. Amazing talent.
Dogs of Peace - Speak (1996). I LOVE this album. Clearly influenced by the Beatles and Pink Floyd. 1st rate musicianship.
Dogs of Peace - Heel (2016). Just learned of their (20 years later) follow up to Speak. I haven't heard it, but plan to buy.

Check out Planetshakers. Kind of pop-ish feel good but I’d say they’ve got an eccentric sound and their arrangements are uncommon and innovative. Drummers in the modern worship community have far-reaching talent way beyond what the music calls for. Keeping it tasteful and “not about me” is where I fall in the mix myself. That is super-important for worship - both in writing and playing.

Interesting thread. I had never really listened to any Christian music till late in life-as a post doc my mentor got really interested in Hindu mysticism and other religions, and that provoked an interest in Abrahamic religions in me-Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. After a bunch of reading I started attending church with my wife , who grew up in the church ,so I got involved with all kind of outreach and also their orchestra. The church had a huge choir and a good size orchestra with brass and strings-lot of Brooklyn tabernacle choir influence so it was popping at times. It was a mix of traditional hymns and then more big band jazzy orchestrated songs-it was a lot of fun. Anyways I don't have any suggestions but since we recently moved I found this painting I did back in 1999 or 2000. I always wanted to be an artist growing up-during 70s I wanted to create album covers-thankfully that never took lol, but I still dabble and after my Abrahamic excursion I came up with an idea for a painting symbolizing these three religions. My daughters are bone fide artist, and I grabbed a canvas and starting painting my idea for the Christian part of my opus. Sadly poor planning the size got away from me so its sort of a snap shot of part of a greater image in my mind-that I never finished obviously. The root was going to be Judaism as a sort of horn of plenty with lots of symbolism that flowed to the Christian fish part and also a flowing sky scene of crescent moon and stars for Islam on top. Anyways I thought I'd share-not evoking any religion debate just religious inspired art-as the music discussed.

Attachments

• IMG_0226 2.jpeg
    IMG_0226 2.jpeg
    601.1 KB · Views: 132
Thanks for all the recent replies - this should keep me busy for a while, but I REALLY appreciated personal recommendations.

Back in the early 80s I listened to a lot of Koinonia: instrumental Christian jazz rock, starring a.o. Abe Laboriel and Alex Acuna. Imagine top notch players in small back street theatres, raving about their love of Christ in between laying down the coolest grooves..

Dutch

This question is for the many drummers on this site who listen to Christian music and/or play in church.

I'm looking for music that is outside the Hillsong genre (which I commend, but it's starting to all sound the same to me ). You folks have any favorite bands that play bluegrass, folk, funk or R&B from a Christian perspective? I'm longing for a musical change of pace. I listen to and play a wide variety of music and would like to expand my playlist.

Thanks.

Finding good Christian music is quite difficult in my opinion. Maybe I over complicate myself, but... Neal Morse is my favorite Christian artist. If you want something different tryout Planetshakers.
I normally tend to listen also other artists not necessarily Christian, but it really depends on your personality, a lot of people feel uncomfortable or believe we shouldn't listen to it.

Besides, as a composer (the mediocre composer I am) and worship drummer, I find contemporary worship going through a change of direction. If you listen to the old Hillsong back in 2008, Jesus Culture, etc. You can really hear the difference from back then. The "worship" style is becoming a bit more unique and a bit more "defined". The only big downside I find is that lyrically they start to repeat themselves so often it's not really fun anymore. Lot's of times I have heard songs that I thought they would never end because of their everlasting bridge section repeating over and over. I can understand that situation live, but on studio... hmmm..

Musically it's fairly a "simple" and straightforward style, but if I have to be honest, I believe that serving God doesn't per se have to be THAT exaggeratedly simple. As long as the focus is on Him.

PS: the drummer of Planetshakers is REALLY GOOD.

I have to say that I have been so inspired by upperroom in dallas this past few years.

I am a drummer myself and the worship that comes out of that church is free, jesus centred and is not produced like alot of the other bands of late.

Here is a link to one of many of theyre songs

Back in the early 80s I listened to a lot of Koinonia: instrumental Christian jazz rock, starring a.o. Abe Laboriel and Alex Acuna. Imagine top notch players in small back street theatres, raving about their love of Christ in between laying down the coolest grooves..
If it's instrumental, what's Christian about the music? Not being a smart-alec here, sincere question.

I've been following this thread, hoping to find something different than all the same-sounding stuff I hear at Zaxby's. (Do they all play CCM in-house or just the ones near me, as well as Cook-Out [regional NC chain]? And no, fast food joints are not the only places I hear Christian music.) Not only do they all sound the same to me lyrically ("God, you're the greatest thing ever, I love you with all my heart, I'm your humble servant, I give you all the praise", etc), but also musically. It's all so sappy. One of every 30 songs I hear is actually interesting, but by the time I notice it, the song's over before I can wet-nap the buffalo sauce off my fingers and launch SoundHound on my phone. I'm not knocking the concept of contemporary Christian music; on the contrary, I'm semi-actively seeking some that doesn't bore me to sleep. Is there really 10,000 different angles from which to write a love song, but for Christian music, about 3? I did find Planetshakers a refreshing change, music-style-wise (even though they're not my bag), but as soon as they start singing, it sounds like all the rest to me. I did try 4 or 5 more that have been listed here; still sounded the same to me, so I stopped.

King's X has resisted the Christian tag, not because they're not Christian individuals (they are, self-affirming), but because they write lyrics from a more generally spiritual place rather than specifically Christian themes. They've managed to write about their spiritual thoughts/quandaries/etc. from many different lyrical angles. Further, (this part should have nothing to do with the musical style or lyrical content), even within the hard rock style they live in, they manage to make songs as different-sounding from each other (in mood and other ways) as any other mainstream rock band. Why can't I find that amount of variety in a CCM artist's work? Am I going to have to skip over "regular-sounding" rock music and go straight to Christian screamo metal? (I've been told it exists.) I hope not, because that's not really my bag either.

So, let's use some secular artists just for the sake of the point. I'd like to hear some Christian bands/artists that each have the variety of material within their style- like Pearl Jam, Brand New Heavies, Prince (well, that's tough for anyone to do), Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Tori Amos, Tom Petty, Public Enemy, Dave Matthews Band, Led Zeppelin, Living Colour, etc- but who are Christian and represent it lyrically. (And I don't mean sound-alikes, just artists who come up with material with equal variety.) Does it exist? If not, might it be because most CCM artists are catering to who they feel comprises the music- and ticket-buying market for it? I'd hate to stereotype all CCM music fans as resistant to stuff that doesn't sound so churchy-sappy (and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way), but, is it true? If it sounds too much like secular rock/pop/r&b, but with as much Christian lyrical content as stuff they DO like, do they dismiss it- i.e. if they don't feel they can hold their hands up to the sky and sway to it, it's out?

Last edited:
King's X has resisted the Christian tag, not because they're not Christian individuals (they are, self-affirming), but because they write lyrics from a more generally spiritual place rather than specifically Christian themes. They've managed to write about their spiritual thoughts/quandaries/etc. from many different lyrical angles.

From what I understand, none of them claim to be Christians anymore. Not sure if they ever did specifically claim to be? They certainly had gospel-like lyrics and themes from C. S. Lewis, and once were the backup band for Phil Keaggy, a CCM artist. Regardless, I love their early material. I listen to it quite often.

Why does religion put up so many walls and put out such boring music? Listen and play to musicians playing music. Use your brain, use your heart.
If it's instrumental, what's Christian about the music? Not being a smart-alec here, sincere question.

I've been following this thread, hoping to find something different than all the same-sounding stuff I hear at Zaxby's. (Do they all play CCM in-house or just the ones near me, as well as Cook-Out [regional NC chain]? And no, fast food joints are not the only places I hear Christian music.) Not only do they all sound the same to me lyrically ("God, you're the greatest thing ever, I love you with all my heart, I'm your humble servant, I give you all the praise", etc), but also musically. It's all so sappy. One of every 30 songs I hear is actually interesting, but by the time I notice it, the song's over before I can launch SoundHound on my phone. I'm not knocking the concept of contemporary Christian music; on the contrary, I'm semi-actively seeking some that doesn't bore me to sleep. Is there really 10,000 different angles from which to write a love song, but for Christian music, about 3? I did find Planetshakers a refreshing change, music-style-wise (even though they're not my bag), but as soon as they start singing, it sounds like all the rest to me. I did try 4 or 5 more that have been listed here; still sounded the same to me, so I stopped.

King's X has resisted the Christian tag, not because they're not Christian individuals (they are, self-affirming), but because they write lyrics from a more generally spiritual place rather than specifically Christian themes. They've managed to write about their spiritual thoughts/quandaries/etc. from many different lyrical angles. Further, (this part should have nothing to do with the musical style or lyrical content), even within the hard rock style they live in, they manage to make songs as different-sounding from each other (in mood and other ways) as any other mainstream rock band. Why can't I find that amount of variety in a CCM artist's work? Am I going to have to skip over "regular-sounding" rock music and go straight to Christian screamo metal? (I've been told it exists.) I hope not, because that's not really my bag either.

So, let's use some secular artists just for the sake of the point. I'd like to hear some bands/artists that each have the variety of material within their style- like Pearl Jam, Brand New Heavies, Prince (well, that's tough for anyone to do), Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Tori Amos, Tom Petty, Public Enemy, Dave Matthews Band, Led Zeppelin, Living Colour, etc- but who are Christian and represent it lyrically. (And I don't mean sound-alikes, just artists who come up with material with equal variety.) Does it exist? If not, might it be because most CCM artists are catering to who they feel comprises the music- and ticket-buying market for it? I'd hate to stereotype all CCM music fans as resistant to stuff that doesn't sound so churchy-sappy (and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way), but, is it true? If it sounds too much like secular rock/pop/r&b, but with as much Christian lyrical content as stuff they DO like, do they dismiss it- i.e. if they don't feel they can hold their hands up to the sky and sway to it, it's out?

Yep, that's definitely where I see this too. There's far more heart out there in music, instead of the corporate "heart" aka, $$ driving most CCM.

Lots of music is spiritual in nature but seems lots of non-traditional Christian music (rock, Hiphop,jazz influenced) is more a niche out reach thing trying to appeal to secular taste of younger crowds or more educated, etc. It seems an odd marriage. Plenty of great classical composers weren't creating christian music but sure gave the inspiration and praise to their faith-the same for probably most Nobel laureates in science (who have been christian, hindu, muslim, jewish-though now more modern ones probably not so) and often reflect how their faith impacts their work (like Francis Collins). I wouldn't have a problem playing secular music at any religious event if it inspires and speaks to a crowd. "Praise him with a clash of cymbals; praise him with loud clanging cymbals. ... …Praise Him with tambourine and dancing; praise Him with strings and flute." I don't think David was talking about playing Christian music LOL. David was an adulterer, a murderer, a real slime ball yet the apple of "God's" eye (sounds like your typical drummer LOL). Likely because he was a rocker bashing cymbals and what not is my hypothesis-sounds like a rocking band. Maybe it's been backwards all along with traditional music and nothing but a piano and a choir (and never the Devil drums) was all wrong and we should have been beating the "hell" out of drums and raising a racket. with every instrument all along?

From what I understand, none of them claim to be Christians anymore. Not sure if they ever did specifically claim to be? They certainly had gospel-like lyrics and themes from C. S. Lewis, and once were the backup band for Phil Keaggy, a CCM artist. Regardless, I love their early material. I listen to it quite often.
I thought I recalled from years ago, they said in one or several articles that they were Christians individually, but pointedly did not directly address themes of spirituality from that specific angle in their music. Could be they've updated that stance and I just missed it. Or, maybe they were just incorrectly pigeonholed due to their origins. I used to see features on them in a CCM magazine that we had at a record store I worked at a long time ago.

Personal favorites are, and, or were Newsboys and Audio Adrenaline.

Audio Adrenaline is done while Newsboys have a new lead singer.

Pete

Back