Which snare would you choose?

Well the Canopus sounds better to me in those videos but I don't love that it's a 7x14. The Ludwig sounded a little too dry for my taste.

The Luddy is more versatile because it's so widely-used. It sounds its best at a medium-high tuning. The wenge has more depth/punch to the sound, and actually sounds better at low and high tunings, but not mid-range. The Luddy will also probably sell faster if you ever need to sell.

I'd say I like the wenge's sound better, but resale and general acceptability are definitely the Luddy's strengths.

The bronze Supraphonic is probably the nicest sounding and most versatile snares I've ever played. Normally I like the Drum Center videos, but I agree that in the video posted it sounds oddly dry. It doesn't sound that dry in person in my experience.

Ludwig Supraphonic are nice.
I have a 6-/12" Lualloy snare, sound great at medium to high tunings.
I also have a 5-1/2" bronze Pearl snare.
Bronze is a very warm sounding drum material, warm and full but not too dark.

Last edited:
I'm with Walter, if you're ready to spring for a Bronze Supra, check out the Copperphonic at the same price. I have 98 snares including all of the metal Supras and a Canopus Zelkova and other esoteric snares, and the Copperphonic is my 'desert island' drum.

Bermuda

I'm with Walter, if you're ready to spring for a Bronze Supra, check out the Copperphonic at the same price. I have 98 snares including all of the metal Supras and a Canopus Zelkova and other esoteric snares, and the Copperphonic is my 'desert island' drum.

Bermuda

I can understand why. I tried out a 6.5 copper phonic and it's like a supra, but with an earthiness to it. Meaty...almost woody sounding, but with metal overtones like a supra.

Bermuda

I feel that way about my copper Oriollo Bakar. And my copper shell kit, too.

Thanks guys! Great advice. I'm seeing a lot of love for the Ludwig, and I'm definitely looking into the Ludwig Copperphonic.

What about this Jenkins-Martin? > https://reverb.com/item/2754124-jenkins-martin-6-x-14-bleen-blue

Does that change anyone's recommendation?

At this point, it's all a matter of taste. You're the guy who's going to up close on whichever drum you pick. Listen carefully to demo videos of each one, sleep on it for a few nights, listen again, and then pick. They're all potentially the drum you'll love for the rest of your drumming years. Just listen and pick.

Back