Which Cymbals to BUY?

Drummerboy22

I was looking at either Paiste pst5 or meinl HCS/MCS, i play rock and metal soon. i have an old pair of sabian solars, want new crisper sound. Tell me what you think.

My advice would be to look into used pro level cymbals. Go to a store that has a decent variety of cymbals and play each one till you find your sound. You'll know that's your cymbal when you hit it. I know that's not very helpful but that's my advice.

I would also suggest looking at the used market. Used music stores have the best deals on stuff. They also have factory clearances some times. I got a set of new Zildjian Armand Hi-Hats ($350 reg.) on factory clearance for $120. My whole cymbal set up (Those hats, Armand 16" med thin ride, and an Avedis Medium ride) cost me $340. Sure, the MCS and Paistes are a little less then that, but trust me: you'll want to replace them eventually. Why not get the best now?

Used Pro level hi hats :p?
Look around for Stagg if you want new, they make great cymbals at great prices. You might be interested in the DH, Myra and Furia lines, the most rock oriented ones. Maybe SH would do, too, if you want a darker sound.

Fox.

definatly used. you can find some great deals. ive got sabian aax xcelerator 14" hats i got them for £130 basically new, cheaper than the pst5 14"

A cheap HH sounds cheap. The very versatile Z New Beats are great. The bottom hat is thicker than the top. You can flip them over and get a way cool/different sound. I agree with another post....get the best stuff you can.

I found some Xs20's medium brilliant 14" for 116 on ebay, and zildjian a customs for 185 but that seems a little expensive still, thinking in the 100-150 range, anyone help me find a pair on ebay or craigslist? i live near stockton, CA. (should i get Xs20s). Would like paiste 2002, alphas, or sabian aax for around 150

I'd recommend Paiste Alpha hi-hats. They're technically an intermediate cymbal line, but imho they sound fantastic and a lot of pro drummers use them anyway. They run about 220 new so with a little looking it shouldn't be hard to find some in your price range. I know Paiste has some new Alphas specifically for metal that should be hitting stores either this month or next so that might be something your interested in. Definitely check out the sound files on Paiste's website, in particular the metal edge hi-hats.

After Sabian Solars I'm not surprised you want a new sound. They are dreadful.

I'll just echo what everybody else said; go used. You'll get a lot more for your money.

Last edited:
Regarding the XS20's..... Dig deep into these threads about XS20's and you'll notice a common theme from owners and it seems a high percentage LIKE the hh's in particular. Im new and don't have an "ear" but of my XS20's 4 pack I like the hats the best and at current time have no intention of replacing the hh's. I've added some high end crash's to compliment my XS20 16" and the 20" ride will probably get replaced someday but I honestly think the hh's will be in my set for the duration...?????

Not sure how they would stack up for heavy rock or metal.......

well im bidding on some Zildjian A Mastersound hi hats 14" only $105 w/$20 ship. Arent these like one of the best?

If you like their sound, they're one of the best. If you don't, then they're not worth very much to you. You should go by the sound that you like, not by what other people say they like.

Dennis

A Mastersounds should work for Rock. Avedis Zildjian line cymbals are historically very versatile.

Went to San Fran today and got some really nice Xs20's for only $90 used. They look almost brand new and sound great. Probably next purchase is going to be a tama metal works 6.5" by 13" steel snare. sounds awesome. tried it out at GC, only 179.99 but might look on craiglists or ebay. Thanks EVERYONE for the input, really really helped!

Back