What's your latest purchase?

Well I did it again , I could not resist getting the Version 2.0 of the Sonor Benny Greb . I have previously sky owned the first version and liked it but ended up selling it to find other purchases when I went on a bit of a Sonor purge .
I am back on the Sonor bandwagon again thanks to that Enabler Darth Vader .
I was going back and forth between the beech and the brass versions and finally decided to settle on the beech version . I am a big fan of beech shell drums . image.jpg

Well I did it again , I could not resist getting the Version 2.0 of the Sonor Benny Greb . I have previously sky owned the first version and liked it but ended up selling it to find other purchases when I went on a bit of a Sonor purge .
I am back on the Sonor bandwagon again thanks to that Enabler Darth Vader .
I was going back and forth between the beech and the brass versions and finally decided to settle on the beech version . I am a big fan of beech shell drums .

View attachment 106131

What are the knobs for?

6.5x14 Tama Star Grand Reserve birdseye maple steambent (solid ply). Yes, I’ve fallen off the wagon hard and really need to figure out how to get back on. One of five worldwide. Thank you DCP!
Rich that's beautiful. Thanks for posting the pic. As soon as I read the description in a previous post I knew I wanted to see it.

I love birdseye for snares. I think the hoops should be chrome though. I like seeing a TF hoop as opposed to DC as well.

I have a Carolina steambent birdseye maple. 14 x about 6 now after I redid the edges twice. It's probably the most "alive" snare drum I have. Major afterglow after the strike.

Rich that's beautiful. Thanks for posting the pic. As soon as I read the description in a previous post I knew I wanted to see it.

I love birdseye for snares. I think the hoops should be chrome though. I like seeing a TF hoop as opposed to DC as well.

I have a Carolina steambent birdseye maple. 14 x about 6 now after I redid the edges twice. It's probably the most "alive" snare drum I have. Major afterglow after the strike.

I've always been intrigued by those Carolina Drum Works snares. They look beautiful!

I finally but the bullet and purchased one of the new Benny Greb snares today . It is the version 2. Beech shell version . I had been playing it at my local shop since it came in and I was undecided between the Beech and Brass shell versions . Both are excellent but I prefer the beech shell slightly more to the brass .
Well, I like both but wanted to try a metal snare as I don't have any so, I went up with the brass, still waiting for it, I need to pay it of... But it was as well a good deal like the one I had on the Tama Sendan Snare.

I didn’t even know those existed 😯
Granelli Audio Labs dose the conversion. Its called a 5790. I had three of the regular SM57s and sometimes I had to compromise placement on snares due to the long body plus the XLR connector. I like all the mics to be facing me and parallel to each other to avoid electronic phase issues. They talk about it in this book along with a million other things I didn't know. Great book for the home studio.

Attachments

• book.jpg
    book.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 4
Looks lovely but why twice as many lugs when double lugs would lighten the load and preservce some resonance

The first completely fingerprint-free cymbal I've gotten in 20 years.
It’s primo!
I remember in a video somewhere seeing Neal Peart’s drum tech handle his cymbals with white (cotton?) gloves and thought he was a genius.

Is theirs any different than doing it this way? It seems easy and inexpensive.

A 90 degree Neutrik gives me all the clearance I need but I do like this concept.
There might be a difference with handling noise - the airtight cavity inside a 57 contributes to the acoustic suspension system, reducing handling noise. This adaptor might still maintain that, or it might not. Of course, with drum mic’s on a stand it might not be an issue anyway.

Reactions: J-W
Granelli Audio Labs dose the conversion. Its called a 5790. I had three of the regular SM57s and sometimes I had to compromise placement on snares due to the long body plus the XLR connector. I like all the mics to be facing me and parallel to each other to avoid electronic phase issues. They talk about it in this book along with a million other things I didn't know. Great book for the home studio.
Years ago, I bought a kit from Granelli and did the conversion myself. I'm not sure if they still offer that option.

This just showed up at my doorstep......I'm so excited to play it!

Ludwig Raw Brass Phonic 5" x 14"

Mine has the same kind of "blue-ing"... beautiful!

Back