What's a song that you didn't like, but you like a remake of it?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
For whatever reason, I absolutely couldn't stand the song was "You Get What You Give" by the New Radicals back in the 1990s. This song grated on my last nerve. I don't know if it was the bucket hat, the lack of dynamics in the song, the words, or whatever. I especially hated the lyrics where he named all of these random people and then said, "Come around, we will kick your a$$e$$." My 10-year-old could beat that lead singer. Everything about that song is just horrible to me.

So the other day, I'm on my way home from work listening to the Chill station on XM which plays all low-key house music, almost chillwave-like tunes. It's awesome for driving. Then, this song comes on, and it's the coolest freakin' thing I've heard in a long time.

Do I like the original song now? Nope. Do I like this reworked version of the song? Absolutely.

Do you have any songs that you 100% dislike but you enjoy a remake of it?

Hard to say I don't like the original. And it's also hard to imagine anyone could improve on any part of the Sgt Pepper album.

But Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help..." eclipsed the original by far, IMO.

I savor his version, rather than obligingly listen through it on my way to Lucy.

"Under my thumb" by the Rolling Stones. Didn't care much for the original but the Canadian band "Streetheart" hit it out of the park with their remake.

This is a classic:

Trent removed it from his setlist, said it "belongs to Johnny now, he did it better than I ever did"

RATM -The Ghost of Tom Joad
Orgy - Blue Monday
Both are better than the original, IMO

For whatever reason, I absolutely couldn't stand the song was "You Get What You Give" by the New Radicals back in the 1990s. This song grated on my last nerve. I don't know if it was the bucket hat, the lack of dynamics in the song, the words, or whatever. I especially hated the lyrics where he named all of these random people and then said, "Come around, we will kick your a$$e$$." My 10-year-old could beat that lead singer. Everything about that song is just horrible to me.

So the other day, I'm on my way home from work listening to the Chill station on XM which plays all low-key house music, almost chillwave-like tunes. It's awesome for driving. Then, this song comes on, and it's the coolest freakin' thing I've heard in a long time.

Do I like the original song now? Nope. Do I like this reworked version of the song? Absolutely.

Do you have any songs that you 100% dislike but you enjoy a remake of it?
whisky in a Jar, I don't like the original, but I like the cover that Metallica did, same for Cat scratch fever, I hate the Ted Nugent original (I just hate Ted Nugent because he is an absolute moron) but I like the cover that Pantera did. There are a lot more but those two are good examples IMO.

I can't say I dislike the song, but I always thought the original of Tweeter and the Monkey Man was a bit tepid.

The Headstones, however, kicked it into a gear more apropos of the lyrics.

Last edited:
I'm a serious Bob Dylan fan, so I won't say I disliked his version of "Chimes of Freedom," but I didn't think it was a standout even on his Another Side of Bob Dylan, even given that it was maybe his least acclaimed early album.

But the all-star cover on an Amnesty International tour, by Bruce Springsteen, Tracy Chapman, Sting, Peter Gabriel and Youssou N'Dour (who positively soars) absolutely made me see it in a new light.

Love Gryphon. Saw them in concert for the first time in '78. They were warmup band for 'Yes'. They were great. Some guy with a full beard hopping around the stage with a bassoon? lol I was hooked immediately.

I definitely prefer Linda Ronstadt's version of Blue Bayou, but I didn't exactly dislike Roy Orbison's version.

Usually I like the original version of the song at least a bit. I'm not crazy about Leonard Cohen's version of Hallelujah, but I like it some.

Best I can think of is Bob Dylan's version of All Along The Watchtower. Jimi's version is definitive and compelling in various ways that Dylan's version just falls flat.

Back