What is the best riser for a small bass drum?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Hey guys, I have had a bit of a search and couldn't find a topic about this.

What is the best bass drum riser for small kicks e.g 16 and 18? The kind of risers that lift your bass drum higher so the beater hits more in the center of the head.

I'm probably more interested in the compact options that you can throw in your carry bag but I'm open to all ideas.

Another vote here for the Dixon. It has the added bonus of not being affixed to anything so your drum won't take up more room in a bag or case.

I don't use a riser on 18" bass drums, simply lower your beater by a fraction of an inch. The Dixon one never worked for me and any of them that clip on to the hoop cause your pedal to hit the hoop, don't waste your time or money. If you don't mind drilling the shell I HIGHLY advocate something similar to the pearl midtown style of riser or the sonor aqx style of riser. I have owned, gigged, and record on over a dozen different 16" and 18" bass drums. Most of the time I don't even use a riser on 16" bass drums anymore but I do own the Tama classic series pedal which allows my the flexibility to use 16"-28" bass drums with the simple raising or lowering of a single post.

I had great luck with the Pearl Jungle gig. You have to mount it to your drum, but it was great for conversion.

1659471146430.png

Thanks guys. There appears to be different dixon risers. I think you are all referring to this one, but just checking, by Dixon do you guys mean "the bass drum riser" that dixon purchased the rights to?

Or this traditional one?

Anyone here use a lift on a 20"? Or larger? (I'm getting ready to switch from 24 to 20 and just wondering if I'll need a lift since I use my beaters all the way extended)

Thanks guys. There appears to be different dixon risers. I think you are all referring to this one, but just checking, by Dixon do you guys mean "the bass drum riser" that dixon purchased the rights to?

Or this traditional one?

The one that Evans now owns. Does not attach to the hoop

What is the best bass drum riser for small kicks e.g 16 and 18? The kind of risers that lift your bass drum higher so the beater hits more in the center of the head.
I really like the Yamaha Duck Foot system. I think it first was introduced with the Daxdad ..... which was 12 (diameter) x 22 (deep), I believe.
My Manu Katche Jr. kit has one., and it works great. I have an RMV 18x that has their version of this kind of lift system, and it works well. too. One of my Yamaha 18x15's came with a Gibraltar lift ..... and I'm not a big fan. I'm gonna install a Duck Foot.
yamaha daxdad.jpg
Anyone here use a lift on a 20"? Or larger? (I'm getting ready to switch from 24 to 20 and just wondering if I'll need a lift since I use my beaters all the way extended)
Yamaha started equipping the Recording Custom 18 and 20 with a lift. I read it was in conjunction with advice/consultation of Steve Gadd.
They went with a different type lift, which attached to the hoop. However, this lift is apparently discontinued now. So ..... I would gather this became not a very popular feature.
yamaha drum lift.jpg

I really like the Yamaha Duck Foot system. I think it first was introduced with the Daxdad ..... which was 12 (diameter) x 22 (deep), I believe.
My Manu Katche Jr. kit has one., and it works great. I have an RMV 18x that has their version of this kind of lift system, and it works well. too. One of my Yamaha 18x15's came with a Gibraltar lift ..... and I'm not a big fan. I'm gonna install a Duck Foot.
View attachment 122509

Yamaha started equipping the Recording Custom 18 and 20 with a lift. I read it was in conjunction with advice/consultation of Steve Gadd.
They went with a different type lift, which attached to the hoop. However, this lift is apparently discontinued now. So ..... I would gather this became not a very popular feature.
View attachment 122510
I'm totally guessing here, but I would think drummers didnt like that it wouldnt fit in a drum case anymore, unless you bought one 4-6" larger than the drum itself.

Which is why the Dixon is brilliant because it stays attached to your pedal .. no bigger case needed and nothing messing up the hoop or even worse having to drill holes in the drum to attach a riser
But will your pedal still fit in it's case with the riser attached?

The Evans/Dixson is the one I use. I have 3 of them.
I have.tried out the other "clamp on style" (pictured above) and it didn't work for me because of pedal placement--aside from having to clamp it on.
The Evans/Dixson is sturdy, fast to use, and stable.

I mainly use a 26" bass drum in my bands, but I record with a 24--so YES, it works with a drum larger than a 20.
I use the Dixson with my 24's because it puts the beater in the spot I want without adjusting, and I like the sound better with the drum off the floor.
I used one gigging with an 18x24 for almost two years with no problems/hassles in stability, setup, or pedal placement.

At the very least, it's inexpensive to try out, and it won't mar your finish.

The Dixson/Evans lift is foolproof. Simply detach your kick drum pedal from it if your pedal has its own case.

I just leave them together and transport as one unit.

View attachment 122513
I prefer to collapse the Flying Dragon pedal myself to fit it in the Crosstown bag.

The Duckfoot is cool but I leave the memory lock off, so I can just push it in when being transported.

CA7BD1C8-202F-4CA5-A4F8-8358153C7258.jpeg

I believe the Oak Custom 18” gen 1 had it slightly earlier than the Dax.

To add. With woodhoops it doesn’t work properly with some pedals as it brings the pedal drive too close to the hoop.

This Yamaha build-in riser is also an idea that can be made by yourself:
FD08C997-63AA-4212-A3ED-8F47AAEC020B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back