What Are You Doing While Riding Out This Period Of Social Isolation?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
This may be a fun topic. We all play drums, so playing aside, how are you keeping from going stir crazy?

I’ll start...So far, I’ve planted 11 bushes and a tree and fully reorganized my garage. Plan to do some rust repair and repainting on the house tomorrow and if time permits, re-die my wife’s car’s leather seats. Taking it one day at a time. More to come I’m sure, but figured it’s way better than listening to another minute of news or reading anything about this virus. May as well do something positive.
Your turn...

Oh some people are going to get productive.
I plan to get outside house and garden going a little earlier. I too will take baby steps.
Also plan on majorly cleaning up the garage.

My wife and I were on the path to selling the house this spring/summer... but that has been immediately put on hold. Still, I’ll work on the details that need fixing or sprucing up... if we should rebound quick enough.

I can only speak hypothetically in the event that I actually contract the virus and need to be isolated.

I'd want to do a massive clean out of my house..... de-clutter all my old hiking gear, action figures that I don't want anymore, sell off some old (but still awesome) cymbals, get rid of some militaria that I've collected over the years (medals, division patches, collar discs, regimental pins, insignia pins), dust down and vacuum/mop the tiles, collect more Lego Star Wars Minifigures, watch my Pat Torpey instructional video that I've just downloaded, maintain my current practice routine, clear out the shed and contribute so much to this forum that members will get sick of me and I'll get locked out by the mods.

Oh....... I'd love to have a phone conversation with Bermuda, Andy, Grundersdad, Larryace and MrInsanePolack before I cough so much I can't be understood ?

Last edited:
I've spent the last couple of days just trying to survive an undiagnosed, but highly likely, coronavirus infection - I haven't been sick in a few years, and now I've seen the three main symptoms of this virus over the last month - dry cough, fever, shortness of breath. The cough has been off and on for the whole month, since Feb 21. The fever lasted one night - Wednesday night. The shortness of breath lasted one night - Thursday night. Today I felt well enough to take a bicycle ride in the countryside. About 10 miles.

kFwwxsG.jpg

lZVDR6j.jpg

Schools and childcare/kindergartens are all closed, so I have less free time than ever. We're trying to keep our four-year-old entertained and mentally healthy, while also still trying to work as much as possible from our respective home offices. We'll split the workday 50/50, with one person working, the other mainly looking after our son (and maybe trying to sneak off to reply to some important e-mail or what have you), and then swap around lunchtime. Then once he's in bed we may try to catch up on a bit more work, or just exhaustedly slouch on the couch for a couple of hours before going to bed and it all starts again.

I fully realise we have it a lot easier than others, but I do get jealous when I see all the "so what are you doing with all this new free time" memes plastered all over the internet ;)

Forget drums, I can't play those at home anyway, but I'm able to pick up my guitar and/or bass for short periods of time now and then. They definitely help keep me sane.

Last edited:
I've spent the last couple of days just trying to survive an undiagnosed, but highly likely, coronavirus infection - I haven't been sick in a few years, and now I've seen the three main symptoms of this virus over the last month - dry cough, fever, shortness of breath. The cough has been off and on for the whole month, since Feb 21. The fever lasted one night - Wednesday night. The shortness of breath lasted one night - Thursday night. Today I felt well enough to take a bicycle ride in the countryside. About 10 miles.

kFwwxsG.jpg

lZVDR6j.jpg
Sure sounds like SARS-CoV 2/COVID-19. So glad you recovered. What you were describing scared me-esp respiratory problem. Beautiful ride So glad on the mend. I wonder how many others directly impacted with sickness. Haven’t heard from Alex in Spain and others in Europe. Hope all are ok

What am I doing? Closing on a new house and packing to move back to Georgia. Yes after two years in my wife's new job her parents are doing poorly (no other family member is going to step-so the busiest gets to do it-don't get me started) so she got permission to live in GA-but adds an hour to her daily drive. She is the salt of the earth-I"m the pepper LOL. Surpisinlgy many in my area act like business as usual-in fact the County I moved from and back to announced it wasn't closing any businesses or bars. WTFH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So should have no problem getting painters to paint new house, movers, etc since apparently everyone is in denial there. I asked my wife "You sure you want to move back there?". Really just got this house where we wanted it, and the back yard is the lowest spot in neighbored so was a sink pit till I moved tons of earth and laid French drains and drained off downspouts and house French drains. It's beautiful now. There is a nice white oak, Eastern cedar and pine forest right behind the house I had opened up so can see well into woods from my deck and was making a nature trail for the neighborhood and kids cause it's just beautiful in there. I love the woods-spent most of my life running around barefoot- (day or night) still do at times. I always felt at home in woods and wanted to be in wildlife or forestry management.

Sure sounds like SARS-CoV 2/COVID-19. So glad you recovered. What you were describing scared me-esp respiratory problem. Beautiful ride So glad on the mend. I wonder how many others directly impacted with sickness. Haven’t heard from Alex in Spain and others in Europe. Hope all are ok
Yeah, nice ride! I actually did some walking up a grade just to give my lungs a little break - cold day in the 50s so didn’t want to get started on pneumonia or aggravate the situation. It’s easy to forget sometimes when you enjoy riding so much.

The self-diagnosis is all we’re left with here in the US, since they are short of test kits, and they won’t test you unless you’re just about severe enough to present to an ER. So I’ll never really know for sure if I’m immune or not, assuming I do in fact get over this. Apparently, from news reports today, the usual case involves a period of about a week where symptoms improve, then they either disappear altogether, or the condition then becomes severely worse. So I figure that means Thursday next week I’ll know on which path I’m on.

Might as well start drafting my will. I have no one to leave my cymbal collection to, nor my 6 drumsets and 10 snares. On the shortness of breath, yeah that is scary. I actually opened up the front door of the house and stepped outside to see if the extra oxygen would make a difference. It felt good. I then cracked the back sliding glass door, and crawled back into bed. Maybe that did it.

It's scary because there's nothing you can do about it. It would be interesting what the statistics are for survival for those that do end up on a ventilator.

Rumbagirl .You can later get tested with immunoassay to determine if you have anti-SARS-CoV 2 antibodies and you've been exposed. Spring is busting out here so my allergies got me feeling like stink-sinus draining and cough but no fever so I'm thinking just my seasonal allergies. After the black mold exposure I now get exercise induced asthma when swimming, etc so I know it's a scary feeling when your airway closes up and I have some COPD. Are the hospitals overrun there so if you get worse you would have an issue with treatments? That's my fear is people will die because of lack of care because of limited resources."Medical surge" is the main problem across the globe-the various testing is for scientist to characterize this pandemic (most people infected will probably never know it till an annual physical and then tested by immunoassay for exposure long after pandemic passed) so that data will be gathered for epidemiological studies. SARS and MERS data still coming in so it takes years in some instance. They have identified the possible original host with the pangolin (meat and scales prized in Chinese medicine) likely the host of this coronavirus. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32197085

Last edited:
practicing on my pads and playing my computer games. theyve shut all the bars, clubs, theatres, gyms and most of the shops here in the UK so theres very little to do outside of the house.

though saying that, im a big fan of sid meiers civilization games, and i blew pretty much the entire day yesterday in one game of civ 5, and ive got the entire collection so i can blow through a fair bit of time playing them all :) plus i have some more recent games like state of decay 2 (funny enough,a post apocalyptic survival game!) and a few more so i have enough stuff to keep my occupied :)

I can only speak hypothetically in the event that I actually contract the virus and need to be isolated.

I'd want to do a massive clean out of my house..... de-clutter all my old hiking gear, action figures that I don't want anymore, sell off some old (but still awesome) cymbals, get rid of some militaria that I've collected over the years (medals, division patches, collar discs, regimental pins, insignia pins), dust down and vacuum/mop the tiles, collect more Lego Star Wars Minifigures, watch my Pat Torpey instructional video that I've just downloaded, maintain my current practice routine, clear out the shed and contribute so much to this forum that members will get sick of me and I'll get locked out by the mods.

Oh....... I'd love to have a phone conversation with Bermuda, Andy, Grundersdad, Larryace and MrInsanePolack before I cough so much I can't be understood ?
I don't think you'll feel like doing much except stay in bed if you actually contract it.

I’m spending time with the kids and wife at home when I’m not at work. In a way it’s relaxing to not have anywhere to go, like church/class/etc.. It’s kind of stressful to deal with driving and dealing with my kids out in n public. Staying at home is less stressful.

Oh I got lost in Red Dead 2-I'm now Arthur Morgan-hence my new pic. Maybe not the best choice given his fate. I knew Micah Bell was a scum bag when I first saw the character. My extinct was correct. Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 8.08.11 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
Walking our dogs.
Staining our new fence.
Cleaning/maintaining location audio gear.
Re-sealing grout in our kitchen and bathrooms.
I've been mapping out a financial roadmap over the past four months for my girls if anything should happen to us to make it easier for them by having everything in order. List of accounts, policies, our primary investor, etc. I just spent a few days assembling photos, serial numbers, descriptions of every drum, cymbal, hardware and accessory. Listed what I paid for things and an estimate of what each piece could be sold for. (Not planning on checking out, my goal is to outlive Keith Richards).
Increasing the stock value of Redbox.
Helping my church do livestreams on a weekly basis until we can all leave Corona-ville.
Next week: landscaping and cleaning out rain gutters.

Not really an interruption for me. Since November, my wife and I swapped rolls. I now stay home and she works.

It has effected my housework plans though. I need to rebuild my deck. I want to remodel my kitchen. I need a new roof. About a week before I got the money, and a week after I priced everything, the price of lumber went up. So my projects are all on hold. That and I don't feel like going into town too much for supplies while this mess is going on. I also have to do a transmission swap in my car soon, but again, don't really want to go out into the world too much for parts.

So when I'm not cleaning and dealing with dogs, I'm playing drums, bass, guitar, video games, reading, watching TV and movies, working on the cars, just normal stuff that needs to be done.

I keep telling my wife I have it. Just to be a pest mostly but I have felt like crap lately. It's allergy season, here in Arkansas it's 70, then 30, then 70, then snows, then rains, then 70 again. And I've already had the flu, so I know it isn't that. I'm sure I'm fine. If I need to get tested at some point I will, for now feeling crappy is dealable.

As a side, I'm loving this stay at home thing. It drove my wife nuts when she did it. One of us has to, we have 5 dogs and 2 have separation anxiety. If left alone, those two will destroy the whole entire house.

Walking our dogs.
Staining our new fence.
Cleaning/maintaining location audio gear.
Re-sealing grout in our kitchen and bathrooms.
I've been mapping out a financial roadmap over the past four months for my girls if anything should happen to us to make it easier for them by having everything in order. List of accounts, policies, our primary investor, etc. I just spent a few days assembling photos, serial numbers, descriptions of every drum, cymbal, hardware and accessory. Listed what I paid for things and an estimate of what each piece could be sold for. (Not planning on checking out, my goal is to outlive Keith Richards).
Increasing the stock value of Redbox.
Helping my church do livestreams on a weekly basis until we can all leave Corona-ville.
Next week: landscaping and cleaning out rain gutters.

Funny you should bring up Keith Richards someone just sent me this . That guy can survive anything !

F20B3245-59E4-4F0E-BF42-328B0EAD91AC.jpeg

What am I doing?
I'm losing my drumming strength, dexterity, stamina and muscle tone. I don't like to practice unless I'm learning a new song that I'm required to play. Yeah, yeah I know it's my own darn fault. I'm sure at some point if I can't play live music with others I will start practicing..............

Back