What about remo drums?

If they are like the old Remo kits - they are made from a composite material called "Acousticon". I think it's similar to fiberglass.

I only know I cat who plays a kit. Remo is simply known for making drum heads, not kits. Great sounding drums. Just a "secret" few know about.

Remo currently has a couple different lines of drums - TSS and Gold Crown. Both are made out of Remo's proprietary Acousticon shell, which they also make a lot of their hand drums out of. It's (to my understanding) a process that involes a long, thin sheet of some kind of fiber composite schtuff that is wrapped around and around and compressed to turn hundreds of layers of this stuff into a shell. (Not sure of this, but that's what I've been able to figure out by looking at them.) What I can tell you for sure is that they are LOUD and have SUSTAIN beyond belief. We had a guy bring in an older 4-piece kit, 16x20, 7x10, 14x14, and a 14x3 piccolo. The drums themselves didn't have a super-pleasing tone to my ear, sounded too synthetic and bongy, like a weird mix of acrylic, steel-shell and dense wood. Confusing sound. However, they tuned really well and sustained for longer than any other drums I've ever heard - a full 4.5 seconds by my count on the 10" tom w/ a coated Ambassador once I got it well in tune. It was crazy! But the snare sounded fantastic though - cranked super-high with an e-ring sounded like Keith Carlock's side snare, it was nice. The build quality of the kit was just as good as any other high-end builder, but the sound has to be for you. It wasn't quite for me. While the kit had a ton of sustain and resonance, it lacked the warmth and penetration I want from a kit. But if you dig more synthetic sounds, I'd definitely suggest finding one and checking it out. :)

I have a 15 year old Remo Acousticon snare drum and it sounds incredible. Other drummers that have played it have loved it also. It has a sound all it's own with hints of brass, acrylic, and solid maple.

A friend of mine has a Remo kit. I don't know anything about it in terms of its age or what have you, but it sounds pretty amazing.

I thought that in Acousticon, they put in wood chips in the shell mold and vibrated them so they were all in the same direction, then injected glue and everything kept its shape and orientation that way.

Traditional drums are also made of a wood composite called plywood, which isn't that much different than Acousticon, which (as I understand it) is related to oriented strand board. Plywood is a wood composite consisting of veneers glued together under heat and pressure.

I found out they actually still produce drum kits, but there is no information on their site regarding shell material. Does anyone know how those kits are?

I owned one of these kits from the early 90's into the early 2000's. It was a good kit. Sounded great when tuned properly. I had power tom sizes with Remo Pinstripe heads. The shells were a kind of composite fiber, much like particle board actually. They were fairly thin. The only downside that I saw was that they were prone to getting moldy. I let a friend borrow them for a while and his basement flooded. The kick got a little wet and developed mold very quickly. Most drums don't like water, but these were particularly sensitive, and I can see them warping easily also. Anyway, they served their purpose, but I would never buy that kind of kit again. Real wood is the only way to go, IMHO.

they offered different thicknesses .I think acousticon 516 meant 5/16 thick,716 meant 7/16.that kind of thing,and I believe at one piont they were offering a few different bearing edges also,because of the technology they developed for the percussion stuff.They haven't really pushed the kits very much lately,but alot of people have really liked the snare drums,and the snares and kits are priced very attractively, a few years back MD did a comparison of pro line 6 piece kits and remo was by far the least expensive,out of at least 12 makers.I think the shells are a wood pulp and resin composite,I saw a how it's made or made in america segment and the shells are "spun"around a form,like a clockspring so theoretically they could make a shell at just about any depth or thickness.

They were good enough for Louie Bellson. I'm guessing he could have played any set of drums.....

I owned a 14 x 7 acousticon snare in the 90's... it was fine.

Somewhat late in my post but I only want to remark that Remo drums are made in USA in their California factory. The shells which they call Acousticon (220, 316, R, etc) are made of wood resins as far as I know. I own a Bravo kit for about 18 years, they still sound great, specially the bass drum, hardware is still very good, and they have had excellent response towards humidity which is a very important factor depending on the place you leave in (like my country).

Jeff Hamilton plays Remo drums too. They can't be that bad, haha.

I saw a Memphis Drum Shop video for a Remo bop kit that Jeff Hamilton played at a clinic there. They sounded incredible, very bop... very very bop.

I played Louis Bellson's Remo kit a few years ago at a clinic and thought they sounded great!

What’s the difference between the bravo and bravo 2? I’m dying to know!!! Thank you, Anthony.

Back