"Wake 'n Break" Series

Today's wake 'n break is similar to a train groove but the snare pattern is closer to a caixa rhythm that would be found in samba. It's important to note that this pattern is not being played with a samba feel at all. The similarity is simply in the placement of the accented notes. Taking the snare first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a" with accents on 1 and the "a" of 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, 3 and the "a" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Next, our hi-hats are keeping a quarter note pulse with chicks on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Last but not least, our bass drum is falling on 1, the "&" of 3, and on the "e" and "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1694 - Train Groove With Upbeat And Anticipated Bass Drum Notes

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! Today's wake 'n break is a heavily syncopated sixteenth note groove. Taking the hi-hats first, we have notes falling on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a" with an open note on the "a" of 3. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, and on the "e" of 3. Last but not least, we have our snare drum falling on the "&" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "a" of 3, and on the "e&a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1695 - Heavily Syncopated Sixteenth Note Groove

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove that utilizes a single caxixi shaker. :) Looking at the shaker first, we have a soft sixteenth note pulse falling on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a". Moving along to the bass drum, we have notes falling on "1e" and on 2 the first bar, with the second bar being the same except we are omitting the 1. Next, our snare drum has accented notes falling on 3 and on "4e" and the "a" of 4 in the first bar, followed by an accent on 3 in the second bar. We also have a semi ghosted note on 4 in the second bar. Last but not least, we come to the hi-hats. In the first bar, we have notes falling on the "&" of 2 and the "&" of 3, followed by notes on the "&" of 3 and on the "&" of 4 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1696 - Two Bar Groove Utilizing A Single Caxixi Shaker

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a groove that I refer to as the "Charlie Watts bossa" because the hi-hats and snare drum are never falling in unison. To clarify, Charlie Watts is notorious for never playing the snare and hi-hats in unison when playing a backbeat. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, 3 and the "a" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1e" and the "a" of 1, on 2 and the "&a" of 2, the "e&" of 3, and on "4e" and the "a" of 4. Last but not least, our cross stick is falling on the "&" of 1, the "e" of 2, on 3 and the "a" of 3, and on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1697 - My Charlie Watts Bossa Nova Groove

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a 6/8 groove where the upbeats are being emphasized on the hi-hats while the bass drum plays a short three note flurry. This groove is based on the underlying polyrhythm of three against four. Taking the hi-hats first, we have notes falling on "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" with accents on 2, 4, and 6. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1, the "&" of 2, a short three note flurry starting on the "&" of 3, and then a final note on 5. Last but not least, our snare drum is falling on 4. Sorry, no notation today but as always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1698 - 6/8 Groove With Emphasized Upbeats And An Underlying Polyrhythm

Today's wake 'n break is a four on the floor groove with sixteenth note triplets (counting: "1 trip let & trip let") broken up between the hi-hats and snare, with ghosted notes on the hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have a steady quarter note pulse on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Next, our snare drum has a single accented note falling on 2. Last but not least, our hi-hats are falling on "1 trip let & trip let", on the first "trip" and "let" of 2 as well as the "&" and second "trip" and "let" of 2, on "3 trip let", an open note on the "&" of 3, and finally on the second "let" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1699 - Sixteenth Note Triplet Groove w/ Ghosted Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Saturday night's alright for fighting and even better for drumming. Today's wake 'n break is a backbeat that is played over the traditional baiao foot ostintato, and it utilizes an exhaust pipe and a floor tom with an extremely dissonant tuning. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, on 3 and the "a" of 3, and on the "&" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes falling on 2 and 4. Next, our wacky tuned floor tom is falling on 1, the "&a" of 2, on "3e&a", and on the "&a" of 4. Last but not least, the exhaust pipe is falling on the "&a" of 1. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1700 - Baiao Backbeat With An Exhaust Pipe And Dissonant Tuned Floor Tom

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a dirty and funky groove that has what I sometimes refer to as a "broken" or "stiff" swing pattern being played on the ride cymbal. Taking the ride cymbal first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes with the stiff swing feel falling on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a". Next, our bass drum is falling on "1&" and on the "a" of 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes falling on 2, the "&" of 3, and on the "e" of 4, with somewhat ghosted notes on the "a" of 2 and on 3. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1701 - Dirty And Funky Groove With A "Broken" or "Stiff" Swing On The Ride Cymbal

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! Today's wake 'n break is a syncopated linear groove that is mostly made up of doubles. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 2, on 3, and on the "a" of 1. Next, our hi-hats are falling on the "&" of 1, the "e&" of 2, the "a" of 3, and on 4. Looking at the snare drum next, we have notes falling on the "a" of 1, on 2, and on the "e&" of 4. Last but not least, our ride bell is falling on the "e&" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1702 - Syncopated Linear Groove Made Up of Mostly Doubles

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar pattern inspired by a new break that I've been working on with Samba Novo. At rehearsal, I got down the bell and snare pattern and then this morning, I interpreted it for the drum set by adding the bass drum and hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" in the first bar followed by notes on 1, the "a" of 1, and the "&" of 2 in the second bar. Next, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Moving along to the ride bell, we have notes falling on the "&a" of each beat throughout both bars. Last but not least, our snare drum is falling on "3&" in the first bar followed by notes on "4&" in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1703 - Syncopated Groove With Upbeats On The Ride Bell

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a sixteenth note triplet groove (counting: "1 trip let & trip let") that utilizes a set of Pete Engelhart blossom bells and has the 3/2 son clave being voiced on the bass drum. Looking at our feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the second "let" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Last but not least, we come to the bell part (which is broken up among four tones) where we have a steady slew of sixteenth note triplets on "1 trip let & trip let", "2 trip let & trip let", "3 trip let & trip let", and on "4 trip let & trip let". Don't think that this groove isn't useful if you don't have bells. You can simply apply the sixteenth note triplet pattern to any other drums or sounds that you have to work with. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1704 - Sixteenth Note Triplet Bell Groove With 3/2 Son Clave On Bass Drum

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a raw yet laid back and somewhat sparse groove with a slight sixteenth note triplet (counting as "1 trip let & trip let") to eighth note triplet ritard/stagger on the hi-hats. For those who aren't aware, "ritard" is the actual musical term for when something gradually slows down, so please don't mistake it for anything offensive. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "e" of 2, and on 3. Next, our snare drum is falling on 2 and the "a" of 2, as well as on 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats have notes falling on "1&", on 2, an open note on the "a" of 2, on the the first "let" of 3 and the "& trip let" of 3, and finally on "4 trip let". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1705 - Sparse Groove With A Slight Triplet Ritard On The Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Last edited:
Thank goodness it's Friday! Today's wake 'n break is a heavy and plodding rock waltz with a Bonham vibe to it. This groove can also easily be interpreted in six but we're going to be approaching it as two bars of 3/4. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on "1&" while our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 3. Now let's take a look at our hands. First, our hi-hats have notes falling on 1 and 2 and last but not least, our snare is falling on the "&" of 2 and on "3&" in the first bar, followed by notes on the "&" of 2 and on 3 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1706 - Heavy And Plodding Two Bar Waltz With A Bonham Vibe

Today's wake 'n break is a boom bap backbeat with a cymbal choke falling on the one. Looking at the feet first, our bass drum has notes falling on "1&", the "a" of 2, the "a" of 3, and on the "e" and "a" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Now let's look at the hands. With the hi-hats, we simply have a single note on the "a" of 4. Next, we have a single choked ride note falling on the 1. This is followed by the snare drum on 2 and 4 and last but not least, our tom has a single note on the "e" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and that your weekend is a good one!

Wake n Break No. 1707 - Boom Bap Backbeat With A Cymbal Choke On The One

Notation available at:

It's Sunday Drumday! :) Today's wake 'n break is kind of a hybrid between a Brazilian baiao and Jamaican dancehall, with the similarities lying in the foot ostinato. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1 and on 3 and the "a" of 3. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Last but not least, our snare drum has notes falling on "1 trip let", on "2&", "3 trip let", and on 4 with flams on 1, 2, 3, and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1708 - Hybrid of Baiao And Dancehall with Flammed Snare

No notation because I'm currently in route to a gig.

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove dedicated to the memory of Ginger Baker. He messed with the minds of drummers everywhere when he emphasized the 1 and 3 on the Cream classic, "Sunshine of Your Love", so this is a funky sixteenth note groove that has the snare emphasis on the 1 and 3. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on the "a" of 1, on 2, the "a" of 3, and on 4 in the first bar, with the second bar being the same except for an additional note on the "&" of 2. Moving along to the hi-hats next, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a" throughout both bars, with chicked notes on the "&" of 1 and on the "&" of 3. Last but not least, our snare drum is falling on 1 and 3 throughout both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1709 - Funky Two Bar Groove For Gingers (Snare Emphasis On 1 & 3)

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a samba groove that utilizes an old Hammerax Bash for a metallic clap sound. The pattern that is being clapped is loosely based off of a common caixa part of Unidos Da Tijuca. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, 3 and the "a" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Last but not least, the clap has accented notes on the "&" of 1, the "&" of 2, on "3e" and the "a" of 3, and on the "&" of 4, as well as somewhat ghosted notes on 1, 2, and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1710 - Samba Groove With A Metallic Clap Loosely Based On The Unidos Da Tijuca Caixa Pattern

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a boom bap groove that utilizes two sets of hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on the "e" of 4. Next, let's break down the hi-hats. Our main set of hats are being chicked on the "&" of 3 while our auxiliary hats are being chicked on the "e" and "a" of 3. Moving along to the snare drum, we have notes falling on 2, the "&a" of 2, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Last but not least, our ride cymbal is falling on "1&". As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1711 - Simple Boom Bap Beat Utilizing Two Sets of Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a plodding four on the floor groove that utilizes a short cymbal chain (shout out to Nathan Hubbard!) on the snare to emulate a backwards cymbal effect. Taking the bass drum first, we have a quarter note pulse on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Next, our snare drum is falling on the "a" of 1 and on the "&" of 3. Moving along to the hi-hats, we have notes falling on the "e" of 2 and on the "e" of 4. Last but not least, we are lifting the cymbal chain on the "a" of 2 and the "a" of 4, and then bringing the chain back down to the snare drum on 1 and 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1712 - Four On The Floor Groove Utilizing A Cymbal Chain To Create A "Backwards" Cymbal Effect

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a mid to uptempo quasi-linear backbeat (we have a single unison) with a busy hi-hat pattern. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on the "a" of 2. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "e&a" of 1, the "e&a" of 2, the "e&a" of 3, and on the "e&" of 4, with open notes on the "a" of 2 and on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum is providing the backbeat on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1713 - Quasi Linear Backbeat With Busy Hi-Hat Pattern And An Anticipated Hi-Hat Opening

Notation available at:

Back