Two broken windows whilst playing !! WTH ??

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I'm practicing in my basement today and my daughter comes down to tell me that her bedroom window on the second floor just broke. I was blowing some music through my studio monitors and my drums through a small PA, 2500W Mackie pwr amp and some Yamaha A15's. It was kinda loud. Is it possible that was responsible for windows cracking. Another bedroom window in our room had cracked previously but I never associated it with what I was doing in the basement/studio 2 floors below. I knew this black widow kit was nasty but ....hehe. I barely have it breathing through the PA. I don't get it but it makes me wonder.

90 year old brick house. All updated double pane Anderson windows. Windows are cracked on the inner pane. DOH !!

Last edited:
By any chance are both windows on the same side of the house?

Do the cracks start perpendicular at the edge of the glass?

More than likely it's a thermal stress crack. Not uncommon to happen in newly installed windows than older windows.

Not likely due to settling.

If it's a thermal stress crack it's due to expanding and contracting glass due to a significant temperature fluctuation.
Has a lot to do with the amount of shifting shadow lines on the window glass from daylight.

You can contact Anderson with photos of the two cracks, or have your contractor that installed the windows take a look.
It's either a thermal stress crack or a pressure crack. Anderson or your contractor should be able to identify the cause.

Not likely due to settling.

If it's a thermal stress crack it's due to expanding and contracting glass due to a significant temperature fluctuation.
Has a lot to do with the amount of shifting shadow lines on the window glass from daylight.

You can contact Anderson with photos of the two cracks, or have your contractor that installed the windows take a look.
It's either a thermal stress crack or a pressure crack. Anderson or your contractor should be able to identify the cause.

Makes alot of sense in that it was down to around freezing 10 days ago and was up to 64-F just last night.

What floor is your high efficiency washer and dryer on?

They're both in the basement with the drums, keyboards and studio stuff.

Back