Triditional grip trouble shooting

MattParker

for the passed years now i have "reinventing myself as a drummer". And part of my new change is that i have switched to the tridition grip and down sized my kit big time from my "vinnie paul style drum kit" to a jojo mayer size kit. I am a metal drummer and have taken jojo's dvd as my root of my style.
The problem i have had happen is about 2 months ago i had a dumb idea as to super glue my stick in my hand to help as a teaching aid to make sure i was getting a good grip on my stick. (build a better muscle memory) But in result i took the cales off that i work so long to get off and then was very tender in the web of my hand. Ever sence then, i had this really tender spot when i hit the rib just right it hurts. 2 days ago i was at practise and ran through one song, just as we started to try it again we stopped due to a mix up on the song, all of the sudden my thumb felt like it popped (i didn't even hit anything with it) and started to swell with in seconds!!! i was freaking out at this point sence i could no longer move my thumb. i ran to the bathroom and ran under cold water and then went to the ER room. they have me on meds and it's all wrapped up[ and i'm not allowed to used it for a while.
Has this happened to anyone? what am i doing wrong with my grip to have that happen? I live in atlanta ga so if theres someone in the area that can help me that would be great!

Matt Parker

Back