Throne Design Flaw

I guess no one reads the posts lol. I HAVE a Roc n Soc. It swivels. Whole point of this thread was to point out I want to try a round seat, not the tractor/bicycle style on my Roc N Soc, but when trying the Tama Standard I found folly of a seat post that just clamps vs a bolt or screw-type.

I wanted to try a new throne. The place we practice has a simple cheap round throne, but I seem to be able to generate more power and balance myself better on it than my Roc-n-Soc. I dunno - it at least seems that way. So I ordered a Tama "Standard" Throne. I thought I would like the memory lock and clamp, too, instead of other simple thrones that have a bolt you must remove, put in another hole, and re-tighten sorta thrones I had in past and what is on our practice kit. Wrong.

I think it has a basic design flaw. The seat does not swivel, but my body does move as I move around the kit. So what happens is the entire post moves back and forth back and forth and no matter how tight you clamp post and tighten memory lock, the post slowly loses height with the action of the back and forth rotation under my weight. And it's a small rotation, but under weight of my body (180 pounds) it causes post to slowly lose height. I thought about not tightening seat onto post but that's just a recipe for a disaster on-stage if I forget it's not secured to post.

Seems a design flaw in this type of design. I'm thinking abut sending back and getting a seat that swivels, but that just about doubles cost.

Any comments, ideas, feedback, laughter?

Have tried a wrench to tweak all those memory locks and other sorts of bolts? You may be able to tighten past the point of hand dexterity if not tried it already? Even a nice vice grip turn would be capable of adding more support.

Last night my Pearl or Tama throne I can't even remember cause I neglected it lol it has the bolt in nut, screw in with a washer while pushing it through a hole. It was too low but was on the last hole, couldn't raise it no more.

So essentially my snare becomes a permanent rim shot from my left hand cause I have the snare on the lowest setting but it's still too high.

Anyway, I popped the cylinder out of the throne and turned it around backwards, now I am dancing on my toes that are almost dangling at that point lol.

I can now hit the snare without catching the rim lol. I put the pole in backwards now the height is astronaut like!

Have tried a wrench to tweak all those memory locks and other sorts of bolts? You may be able to tighten past the point of hand dexterity if not tried it already? Even a nice vice grip turn would be capable of adding more support.

Last night my Pearl or Tama throne I can't even remember cause I neglected it lol it has the bolt in nut, screw in with a washer while pushing it through a hole. It was too low but was on the last hole, couldn't raise it no more.

So essentially my snare becomes a permanent rim shot from my left hand cause I have the snare on the lowest setting but it's still too high.

Anyway, I popped the cylinder out of the throne and turned it around backwards, now I am dancing on my toes that are almost dangling at that point lol.

I can now hit the snare without catching the rim lol. I put the pole in backwards now the height is astronaut like!

My solution was to send it back. I sit on a cheap round PDP seat with bolt in post for 2-3 hours every time our band practices, and it seems like the round seat gives me more power than I get on my Roc n Soc. So next week I'm just gonna get one of those. Goal is to see if a round seat suits me better, before I invest serious money into any new throne.

Back