Theatre drumming 'Grease' tommorow, tips???

toothie96

So my school are putting on the musical 'Grease'. But this isn't your average school production, we throw everything we've got at it. It's like a professionally west end performance. Anyway, the band have worked solidly since january. I'm feeling confident, looking forward to it, general nerves and all that. The band are in full view of the audience. So any tips, guidelines, advice? Cheers!

Just have fun! Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

DUDE! Fun stuff. I got the chance to play in my schools pit band for Grease back in 2009. Just dont over play :p Especcialy in Grease Lightning...lol.........I did and when I re-listned to a bootleg of the show, I was like, "wow, what an anoying drummer," lol.

If you are allowed to, wear jeans a white tee shirt a black leather jacket and slick back your hair.

also, when not playing, try not to make any noise at all. Think of silent activities to do if there a long lengths of time you do not do anything.

Stay alert, pay attention to the conductor. Weird things sometimes happen doing shows. Other than that just do what you've been practicing to do. Show night is not the time to try to add in any new stuff. Have fun. And remember "there's no business like show business".

Just thought i'd let you all know, the three night run of Grease, went amazing! Thursday night was brilliant, no hiccups, half decent audience, fantastic. Friday night involved a lot of impromptu acting from the 'teen angel' so had to be on my toes for beauty school dropout. Saturday night was much the same, crowd was much better. Never had so many chills going down my spine as the audience applauded the band in Grease Is The Word. Can honestly say, it was so much fun to do! Definatly reccomend it to anyone!

Glad things went well. Playing shows can be a lot of fun. Unfortunately in today's world there is less and less work for professional musicians in pits but high schools, college, and community theatres still provide opportunities to participate in a great American tradition.

Back