The Way Back Machine.

Quite the contrary. I'm really enjoying this part of the journey. I do spent time on the kit, but that is not my focus. I have this vision of obtaining a certain level of proficiency with my hands. After which, I will move my focus just to snare hats and kick for a period of time. The idea is to develop vocabulary so that I may sit behind the kit and more eloquently speak. Whatever the outcome, I am enjoying the process. At my age, I find I'm spending more time on things I enjoy. I've spent decades doing what I'm supposed to do...
Well heck, if you enjoy it, more power to you. You should record a quick video so you can look back in a few months and see how much you've improved.

Spending two hours a day, every day on a practise pad sounds like the most mind numbingly boring way to learn drums.
Ya gotta find work you like doing on the pad. This is where I push limits. I'm not learning drums at all on the pad. It's all singles, doubles, 3/4/6/8 on a hand for pushed speeds and times.

I love early morning pad work. Everyone else is asleep. It's just me, the pad, music, and a giant mirror. And coffee too.

Ya gotta find work you like doing on the pad. This is where I push limits. I'm not learning drums at all on the pad. It's all singles, doubles, 3/4/6/8 on a hand for pushed speeds and times.

I love early morning pad work. Everyone else is asleep. It's just me, the pad, music, and a giant mirror. And coffee too.
And coffee. Perhaps the most important part.

For me as a “new” drummer, I found the control, dexterity, and flow between the hands was a limiting factor. I decided to commit to significantly improve this weak area.

The bonus is that find I really like it. On the rare day I can’t get at least two hours, I feel like I’ve cheated myself out of something.

Back