The Snare Side Head Rant

Just to throw a spanner in the works. This "problem" doesnt affect me, my snare has a thick cloth rolling around inside it...I like em dead as possible, no boing here.

I tired a 5 mil at one point and it did nothing but deaden the snare sound. Try various tunings. So as not to waste a heads, I used it as a better head for a while. When I loosened it to remove it, it looked like the surface of the moon. Every stick hit was a crater. So I have no need for 5 mil. Uncle Larry hooked me up with hoop less snare side head and I havben't looked back.

I tired a 5 mil at one point and it did nothing but deaden the snare sound. Try various tunings. So as not to waste a heads, I used it as a better head for a while. When I loosened it to remove it, it looked like the surface of the moon. Every stick hit was a crater. So I have no need for 5 mil. Uncle Larry hooked me up with hoop less snare side head and I havben't looked back.

I've only heard of 5 mil snare reso's working in two different scenarios:
1. For the over the shoulder, hit your snare like you are hammering a deck nail, kinda player

2. To help tame a very large drum (8-10" deep primary snare or one of those stupid 'snoms')

I've only heard of 5 mil snare reso's working in two different scenarios:
1. For the over the shoulder, hit your snare like you are hammering a deck nail, kinda player

2. To help tame a very large drum (8-10" deep primary snare or one of those stupid 'snoms')
In my case, you are right.

Perhaps some kind of nylon, like tarp material might work. Or rip-stop camo material. Other than that I dunno.

IIRC the material found at Roswell was the same material used in those silver balloons. And that material is, wait for it, mylar. Mylar is a form of polyester.

I though about window tint film also. Guess what, it's also a form of polyester.

Perhaps Tupperware can develop a snare side head. Press and Seal drum head? Saran wrap drumhead? It has to be hard or it wont make a sound. Like I dont think denim would work, but might make a great silent head.

I have to admit I'd be surprised if drum head manufacturers weren't playing with different materials to make drum heads for lots of reason-for better sounds, more environmental friendly etc. I've thought about reinforcing paper mâché with fiberglass to make drum heads or enforced fabric/cloth drumheads?? Maybe hemp heads LOL. Hot dang Shark tank here I come. One thing that has caught my eye is the attachable snare wires to rim in the LP raw series. Seems you have none of the issues of dealing with typical snare wires and buzz or worried about tension or anything. I'd like to try those on bottom reso head and see how they sound. I think we can put all of our "heads" together and invent a new useless drum addition that every drummer will soon need hee,hee,hee.

Last edited:
I have to admit I'd be surprised if drum head manufacturers weren't playing with different materials to make drum heads for lots of reason-for better sounds, more environmental friendly etc. I've thought about reinforcing paper mâché with fiberglass to make drum heads or enforced fabric/cloth drumheads?? Maybe hemp heads LOL. Hot dang Shark tank here I come. One thing that has caught my eye is the attachable snare wires to rim in the LP raw series. Seems you have none of the issues of dealing with typical snare wires and buzz or worried about tension or anything. I'd like to try those on bottom reso head and see how they sound. I think we can put all of our "heads" together and invent a new useless drum addition that every drummer will soon need hee,hee,hee.
You're very crafty! I want to try those wires on a regular snare, too.

Most snare side heads work pretty well for me. I'm an Evans man, so that's the route I take.
I recently made a "snom" & the snare side head worked very well as a tom reso as well as a snare head.

It's all about tuning IMO. If you can find the balance between tone & sizzle, you're gold.
It's worth the time spent I assure you.
Tuning indeed! It takes a little time, but I've always been able to get the same pitch around the head, and the beds, regardless of pitch.

Come on, Evans! Make a bulletproof snare side!
It's the 21st century, and I know we have the technology and ability,
Alien or otherwise!

Alien or otherwise!

There's no real problem. I would like to see a jump in technology like there was from cowhide to mylar.

for durability, that would have been the jump to Kevlar back in the 90's...but that was more for marching than set...

have you considered the Remo Emporer Hazy? That would be their thickest weight clear head....the Black Suede would be even thicker in a way, but is is going to be very dry

Alien or otherwise!

that would be the MS5 marching snare side head....

Back