The perfect Zildjian ride with some dryness and wash.

TheJarvis

I have been looking for an older version of the 21" K Custom Special Dry Light ride with the old hammering but they were always on the heavier side. I have K Custom Dry here and they were closer to that than a "Light" ride and having another Special K Light ride a few years ago I sold it because it was too dry and too heavy.

This one I grabbed is light for a 21" cymbal and when played in a groove has the perfect balance or dryness and wash.

I listened intensely to that ride..flippin love it. I've liked them ever since listening to Tommy Igoes on his Groove essentials DVD.

Congratulations, now that you found the perfect cymbal, you’ll never have to buy one again ! Your wife must be thrilled! :) Seriously, sounds great!
Oh damn I didn't think of that....oh darn it's a terrible cymbal so I better keep looking.

I listened intensely to that ride..flippin love it. I've liked them ever since listening to Tommy Igoes on his Groove essentials DVD.
Same here, that cymbal in that DVD got my attention but every time I heard one they were super dry and just all "ping".

Last edited:
I enjoyed it. Wouldn’t mind having one at all, although I’m pretty happy with my cymbals as it is.

I enjoyed it. Wouldn’t mind having one at all, although I’m pretty happy with my cymbals as it is.
It's a great ride and I could easily sell off a few rides as this will take their place, I have tried moving an original K Custom Dry for $200AUD but no bites.

It's a great ride and I could easily sell off a few rides as this will take their place, I have tried moving an original K Custom Dry for $200AUD but no bites.
Just listened to a couple examples of them…all ping. Bell sounds nice, though ;).

Just listened to a couple examples of them…all ping. Bell sounds nice, though ;).
It reminds me of the original K Custom from the late 80/s and early 90's....those rides had some serious ping.

I have the 21" K Custom Special Dry Ride (not lite). It's the pre-2017 version before they made the Special dry line more trashy sounding. I absolutely love it but admit that it doesn't get much rehearsal or gigging time at all. It's just not quite loud enough with the band. Even with that, I'll probably never sell it.

Reactions: B
I have the 21" K Custom Special Dry Ride (not lite). It's the pre-2017 version before they made the Special dry line more trashy sounding. I absolutely love it but admit that it doesn't get much rehearsal or gigging time at all. It's just not quite loud enough with the band. Even with that, I'll probably never sell it.
This is the Special Dry as I used the term light as it actually is bloody light and i mean really light. I have thin rides that are heavier than this thing. After speaking to a Zildjian rep about this cymbal he explained it's probably just on the edge of being "too light" but in saying that he also mentioned these sorts of cymbals are a lot light unicorns.

This is the Special Dry as I used the term light as it actually is bloody light and i mean really light. I have thin rides that are heavier than this thing. After speaking to a Zildjian rep about this cymbal he explained it's probably just on the edge of being "too light" but in saying that he also mentioned these sorts of cymbals are a lot light unicorns.
I played the light version on an open mic kit once. I could tell it was nice but not ideal for unmiced bar music. But I would love to have one of those also for my collection

Same with me. Love it, but not usually loud enough

Same with me. Love it, but not usually loud enough
That was me with the 22" Hi Def Ride, sounded brilliant but was so easily lost at almost any gig even if it was a low volume one. I held on to it for so many years but eventually moved it on as it got no use what so ever.

Back