The Most Prolific Rock Band Drummer of the '70s and '80s?

Son of Vistalite Black

Son of Vistalite Black is testing ChatGPT by tasking it with naming the most prolific rock drummer of the '70s and '80s in terms of playing/recording with the largest number of established groups.

Artificial Intelligence (AI) offers three candidates for versatile and influential drummers who played with multiple bands in the 1970s and 1980s. Studio whizzes who are loathe to commit are purposely excluded. The winner will be named later.

Simon Phillips​

Simon Phillips is a British drummer who started his career as a session musician in the early 70s. He played with a variety of artists, including David Bowie, Jeff Beck, Roxy Music, and The Who. He also joined several bands as a permanent or temporary member, such as 801, Judas Priest, and Toto. Phillips is known for his technical skill, musical versatility, and distinctive style of drumming. In the 80s, he continued to work as a session drummer for artists like Pete Townshend, Mick Jagger, and Mike Oldfield, as well as forming his own band, Protocol.

Bill Bruford​

Bill Bruford is another British drummer who rose to fame in the 70s. He was a founding member of the progressive rock band Yes, and later joined King Crimson, one of the most influential and experimental bands of the genre. He also played with Genesis, UK, and Gong, among others. Bruford is regarded as one of the most innovative and influential drummers of all time, especially for his use of odd time signatures, polyrhythms, and electronic drums. In the 80s, he formed his own jazz fusion band, Bruford, and collaborated with artists like Patrick Moraz, Allan Holdsworth, and Kazumi Watanabe.

Carmine Appice​

Carmine Appice is an American drummer who started his career in the late 60s with the psychedelic rock band Vanilla Fudge. He then formed the power trio Cactus, and later joined the hard rock band Beck, Bogert & Appice. Appice is considered one of the pioneers of heavy metal drumming, and one of the most influential drummers in rock history. In the 80s, he formed the supergroup King Kobra, and also played with bands like Ozzy and Pink Floyd.

Last edited:
I started drumming in1970 And I've always been a huge fan of Ian Paice he mostly played with Deep Purple.

Prolific. Hmmm. I posted elsewhere about seeing Steve Ferrone tonight. Talk about prolific. I didn’t know he played with so many.

1715148822876.png

Phil Collins was probably the busiest and most visible in that period...
He was surely visible due to his solo career added to Genesis and Brand X, but I doubt anyone, Phil included, was busier than Porcaro. Well, maybe Keltner. Or Gadd?

Found this. I love Phil but he didn’t make this list.

1715174410808.jpeg

Last edited:
Of the three posted I give the nod to Carmine. At least in regard to rock. If you include country there are a number of other drummers who could be added. But Carmine had two of the heaviest hands in rock and roll but could also lay it down on the lighter side. Look at what he did with just Rod Stewart from Hot Legs to Do Ya Think I'm Sexy.

He was surely visible due to his solo career added to Genesis and Brand X, but I doubt anyone, Phil included, was busier than Porcaro. Well, maybe Keltner. Or Gadd?

View attachment 146076
To me the most impressive one on this list is Buddy considering he basically played big band jazz and not rock/popular music.

View attachment 146076
I'm surprised to see Larry Mullen on here. Also, that Hal Blaine is that the bottom of the list

I'm still going to say that Phil Collins was certainly prolific, probably more than most realize.

Phil's discography

When you scroll down to the "other appearances" section he has an incredibly diverse list of albums he's played on, and it's important to remember he did all of this while a full time member of Genesis throughout the 70s and added his own solo career in the 80s.

Back