The Crusaders

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Anyone else fans of this old band? Love the funk.

Back in 1954, Houston pianist Joe Sample teamed up with high school friends tenor saxophonist Wilton Felder and drummer Stix Hooper to form the Swingsters. Within a short time, they were joined by trombonist Wayne Henderson, flutist Hubert Laws, and bassist Henry Wilson and the group became the Modern Jazz Sextet. With the move of Sample, Felder, Hooper, and Henderson to Los Angeles in 1960, the band (a quintet with the bass spot constantly changing) took on the name of the Jazz Crusaders. The following year they made their first recordings for Pacific Jazz and throughout the 1960s the group was a popular attraction, mixing together R&B and Memphis soul elements with hard bop; its trombone/tenor frontline became a trademark. By 1971, when all of the musicians were also busy with their own projects, it was decided to call the group simply the Crusaders so it would not be restricted to only playing jazz.

The albums they did with BB King were a big influence on me and I liked their vibe at the time. Not sure how I feel about them now though...will have to dig out some old records. :^)

I remember watching Joe Sample's instructional video in the late 80s/early 90s. Pretty cool what he did with Happy Birthday: totally re-harmonised it to make it sound so cool. You've got to love Fender Rhodes...

Count me in as a fan of the Crusaders. I also have some Joe Sample CDs. Peace and goodwill.

He is still playing the Rhodes for almost 60 years. He hasn't moved to synth or more elaborate keyboard. It does have its own sound as does he.

I remember watching Joe Sample's instructional video in the late 80s/early 90s. Pretty cool what he did with Happy Birthday: totally re-harmonised it to make it sound so cool. You've got to love Fender Rhodes...

Now that I think about it, that might have been Richard Tee. Anyway, Joe Sample is a cool cat.

Anyone else fans of this old band? Love the funk.

Back in 1954, Houston pianist Joe Sample teamed up with high school friends tenor saxophonist Wilton Felder and drummer Stix Hooper to form the Swingsters. Within a short time, they were joined by trombonist Wayne Henderson, flutist Hubert Laws, and bassist Henry Wilson and the group became the Modern Jazz Sextet. With the move of Sample, Felder, Hooper, and Henderson to Los Angeles in 1960, the band (a quintet with the bass spot constantly changing) took on the name of the Jazz Crusaders. The following year they made their first recordings for Pacific Jazz and throughout the 1960s the group was a popular attraction, mixing together R&B and Memphis soul elements with hard bop; its trombone/tenor frontline became a trademark. By 1971, when all of the musicians were also busy with their own projects, it was decided to call the group simply the Crusaders so it would not be restricted to only playing jazz.

Yes my dad listened to them, and I became a fan as a child.

I saw them at the Greek in LA back in the mid 80s. My roommate then was a huge fan of Joe Sample. That was the only time I've ever seen them, and I thought they were great. But then the headliner Miles Davis came out and BLEW THEM OFF the stage. No disrespect intended. What can I say? I'm a huge electric Miles fan!

Yeah, Fender Rhodes has got to be one of the best instruments ever made. What an amazing and iconic sound.

Back