Tama True Touch Training Kit

Hey thanks. Got lots to learn, but, plenty of time to learn. Going to get a QSC TouchMix 30 and QSC amps as well.

Hey, I'm not saying that idea is wrong. My idea, when I put this practice kit together, however, was to have it set up similar to my acoustic kit for easy transition.

View attachment 109991
Awesome...complete with mmirror. I essentially did the same thing with a Real Feel pad for my snare and two cheap silicone pads off Amazon as toms on snare stands and real , but smaller cymbals. Simple, but it works.

Last edited:
Hope they sell the individual parts too, I'd love to get just the kick pad and keep using my Black Holes for the rest (the kick drum Black Hole is a POS, I've resorted to just pulling out the mesh head and putting it on a spare kick, but now I need that kick for other uses)
What don't you like about it? I have one & it does the quiet job pretty well.
To get just the kick pad portion of this would be a great thing tho...

feat_TTKTS_Tom_Stand.jpg

I keep staring at the stand that all the tom pads get mounted to. I think could use a stand like that for some odd reason. I wonder if it'll be for sale individually? Love the power profile, single braced legs...hmmm...my head head is swimming with ideas about using something like this for purposes other than for mounting practice pads to.

Basically a better version of the DW pad set.

I have that, but substitute the Gibralter bass drum pad for the DW. I have a regular Aquarian pad on a snare stand for that and just the DW tom pads.

Works well and I spent a whole 100 bucks for the DW setup. I had the other stuff

Add the low volume cymbals and your set.

Practice pads that sound slightly different from each other? What a novel concept!

I've been looking for this forever. Every practice kit out there has the same rubber pads that have no variation in pitch or life to them. Maybe this is the answer.

Also, the ubiquitous rubber pads are often too quiet to be paired with low-volume cymbals. The cymbals are always 2 notches too loud in comparison. Maybe these pads will fix that problem.

4-piece is $500.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TTK4S--tama-true-touch-4-piece-training-kit

5-piece is $600.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TTK5S--tama-true-touch-5-piece-training-kit

What don't you like about it? I have one & it does the quiet job pretty well.
To get just the kick pad portion of this would be a great thing tho...
I'm constantly repositioning it.

It just feels like they had a great idea, but then they got to the kick and decided to just wing it. The whole thing uses normal sized mesh heads inside the rubber hoops, which probably keeps manufacturing costs down, but since you can't clamp them to bass drum hoops it's just not great

I mean, it works, it's just not great. Have I known, I would have purchased the mesh head alone for the kick and got a cheap kick to keep it on (which is what I ended up doing)

Practice pads that sound slightly different from each other? What a novel concept!

I've been looking for this forever. Every practice kit out there has the same rubber pads that have no variation in pitch or life to them. Maybe this is the answer.

Also, the ubiquitous rubber pads are often too quiet to be paired with low-volume cymbals. The cymbals are always 2 notches too loud in comparison. Maybe these pads will fix that problem.

4-piece is $500.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TTK4S--tama-true-touch-4-piece-training-kit

5-piece is $600.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TTK5S--tama-true-touch-5-piece-training-kit
Oh, cool they have a 4 piece! It's such a common setup, nice to not have to pay extra for the middle tom.

feat_TTKTS_Tom_Stand.jpg

I keep staring at the stand that all the tom pads get mounted to. I think could use a stand like that for some odd reason. I wonder if it'll be for sale individually? Love the power profile, single braced legs...hmmm...my head head is swimming with ideas about using something like this for purposes other than for mounting practice pads to.

I wonder would it be stable/sturdy enough to additionally clamp on some cymbal boom arms .

Didn't exist when I needed one, but it didn't need much modification.

I use mostly the 7" Moongel as toms now that can support pretty much any other pad, but the Aquarian Super-Pads also have a pitch about the same as medium tuning of each size if mounted so they can resonate a bit.

My bass drum pad I made by attaching a Super-Pad to a RealFeel stand with a board the right thickness for the same distance as on my real drum. I also have the DW practice pedal if I want to go small.

Mine doesn't look as clean, but it's more versatile and I can easily set up and move whatever pieces I want without using or moving the whole thing..

My snare pad is a Xymox Reserve snare or Remo Brush-Up that sit on top of my Gretsch 12" pad instead of a regular snare stand so I avoid any claws above the hoop.

I like the pad stands as I'm not bound to one configuration, can easily move stuff, raise one pad to standing height if I want to etc...

My setup probably has ended up costing more, but I got it bit by bit.

Hey, I'm not saying that idea is wrong. My idea, when I put this practice kit together, however, was to have it set up similar to my acoustic kit for easy transition.

View attachment 109991
Reminds me of this:

Remo Modular Practice Pad Set with Stand​

1663276711044.png

While I understand the Tama one is for accuracy, this bar basher can't do that price range.
This one is $259.95 new & I'm sure I can find a used one for less.

Has anyone tried these out? I'm curious whether they're more enjoyable to play than normal rubber pads.

I've thought about getting the DW practice pad kit, but it just seems so incredibly boring to play. I want a practice pad that I'll actually use.

$600 seems steep, though.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried these out? I'm curious whether they're more enjoyable to play than normal rubber pads.

I've thought about getting the DW practice pad kit, but it just seems so incredibly boring to play. I want a practice pad that I'll actually use.

$600 seems steep, though.

that is steep, for less ( not much) you can get a set of silent stroke heads and cymbals and play them on an actual acoustic fulll sized kit.

I just set up my old rubber pad cheap-o Simmons for practicing. Come to find out my practice on having authority with my H foot is maybe gone a little too far lol. Whole house shakes, super noticeable on the rubber pad kit. Now I just need to find the darn adapter for it.
Anyway you can get a cheap electric kit for that kind of coin

Back