Tama Starclassic Performer Birch

action23

Drum Sizes (depth x dia):
Tomtoms 9x12 and 10x13
Floortoms 11x14 and 13x16
And the bass 18x24
Tama 6" x 14" Starclassic Performer Birch SNARE
Hardware: Double Tom holder and HTW749 double-tom stand.

It is new(i think) and cost about 1150$ should i buy it, is it worth it?
Can i get something used and better for that money? I have been searching at eBay but i dont see many good deals there.
Should i buy something else? My max $ is about 1200$ for the drumkit, so i have about ~300$ left for some used cymbals.

I play everything, but mostly -rock+
Please give me some advise(?)

PS. do you know about any snare that sounds like theTama David Silveria Signature Snare Drum it is awsome!! but to expensive for me i think, ~500$

Last edited:
Drum Sizes (depth x dia):
Tomtoms 9x12 and 10x13
Floortoms 11x14 and 13x16
And the bass 18x24
Tama 6" x 14" Starclassic Performer Birch SNARE
Hardware: Double Tom holder and HTW749 double-tom stand.

It is new(i think) and cost about 1150$ should i buy it, is it worth it?
Can i get something used and better for that money? I have been searching at eBay but i dont see many good deals there.
Should i buy something else? My max $ is about 1200$ for the drumkit, so i have about ~300$ left for some used cymbals.

I play everything, but mostly -rock+
Please give me some advise(?)

PS. do you know about any snare that sounds like theTama David Silveria Signature Snare Drum it is awsome!! but to expensive for me i think, ~500$

I would be all over that deal

Jump on it now, or people will call you poopy pants behind your back for the next 3 months. ;)

That snare sounds pretty much like any multiply maple snare.

Well it got sold. Im just going to use my old starter kit and buy some new awsome cymbals, and maybe buy a new kit in summer.

Im thinking about, GRETSCH - Renown Maple, the store here is selling thoose at 1000$, i think it's very good deal. But im thinking if it is good for rock and metal??

Well it got sold. Im just going to use my old starter kit and buy some new awsome cymbals, and maybe buy a new kit in summer.

Im thinking about, GRETSCH - Renown Maple, the store here is selling thoose at 1000$, i think it's very good deal. But im thinking if it is good for rock and metal??

Well here are a couple clips of the Gretsch being played:

Tell us if you think they can rock:

Solo
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1e-8...eature=related

Metal
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySSO9...eature=related

Think Gretsch maple can cut it?

If i click thoose links i just get "The URL contained a malformed video ID. " at YouTube.
Just paste the /watch?v=ydf(etc.) here, and i will put youtube.com in front if it.
(So the DW site wont take something out of the link)
Or tell me what to write at youtube to see it

Well here are a couple clips of the Gretsch being played:

Tell us if you think they can rock:

Solo
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1e-8...eature=related

Metal
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySSO9...eature=related

Think Gretsch maple can cut it?

If i click thoose links i just get "The URL contained a malformed video ID. " at YouTube.
Just paste the /watch?v=ydf(etc.) here, and i will put youtube.com in front if it.
(So the DW site wont take something out of the link)
Or tell me what to write at youtube to see it

I typed in "gretsch renown"

Or the drummers name Scott Prian

If you still have your heart set on a Tama starclassic performer then my advice would be to go to your nearest Tama dealer and get a quote for a shell pack and save up whatever extra $$. OR...check online at musicians friend and see what they have in the way of shell packs. Buying online can also save you a few $$. Maybe then you can still get some tasty cymbals!!

If I buy used Starclassic on 1000$ here in USA and when it come to Iceland I have to pay taxes,shipping and more and then can I get and the cost will be about 1600-1700$ (yeah it sucks!!!!) But if I buy the Gretsch new at a store here in Iceland i just pay about 1000$ for it and take it home.
Do you think that the Starclassic Birch is worth 650$ more than the Gretsch?

And sometimes I wonder if I should just buy a snare and a bass, i already have 10" 12" tomtom and 14" floortom that are Premier Olympic (Starter kit that i got around 2004 haha) and I dont use the toms very much, But I use the bass and snare and cymbals very much.

Im not sure if the snare and bass sounds bad because I have not played any other drumset since about 2004 so I am used to the snare and the bass, but I think i want to do some upgrades now. But I dont think that i can just get one Bass here in Iceland, I think stores only sell full drumsets and single snares.

But can you guys tell me some bass thats sounds very boom-y and deep 22x18

Im pretty lost in this case as you maybe see :)

Having owned two sets of Starclassic birchs, I recommend the last version with the all chrome rims mounts, not the black ones. Slightly different shells and much better mounting hardware made a huge difference in the sound. I miss mine (sold them 1.5 years ago), they sounded absolutely fantastic. Drums have changed again since then, so I'm not in the "now" knowledge. Man those drums sounded freaking great!!!

If I buy used Starclassic on 1000$ here in USA and when it come to Iceland I have to pay taxes,shipping and more and then can I get and the cost will be about 1600-1700$ (yeah it sucks!!!!) But if I buy the Gretsch new at a store here in Iceland i just pay about 1000$ for it and take it home.
Do you think that the Starclassic Birch is worth 650$ more than the Gretsch?

And sometimes I wonder if I should just buy a snare and a bass, i already have 10" 12" tomtom and 14" floortom that are Premier Olympic (Starter kit that i got around 2004 haha) and I dont use the toms very much, But I use the bass and snare and cymbals very much.

Im not sure if the snare and bass sounds bad because I have not played any other drumset since about 2004 so I am used to the snare and the bass, but I think i want to do some upgrades now. But I dont think that i can just get one Bass here in Iceland, I think stores only sell full drumsets and single snares.

But can you guys tell me some bass thats sounds very boom-y and deep 22x18

Im pretty lost in this case as you maybe see :)

well basically you should buy the kit you love. If you dont any money you spend might end up being wasted because you still long for your first love. Just like with cymbals...

I was just at a concert last month where one of the bands was a grindcore-ish band. He was playing a Grestch Renown Maple and it sounded great and fit right in, so I think it could work for nearly any music type.

Back