Tama Star Cast Mounts - really wobbly?

Can you comment as to the lateral movement of the mounted toms or the general wobble of the floor tom when moved by hand? I understand these issues won't manifest as in most playing situations, but I can see them making set up and positioning tedious at the minimum.

There is some lateral movement yes, but you don´t notice that while playing at all. Set up is a bit faster with these mounts since you don´t have to fasten a wing nut. The lateral movement is no issue. Regarding the floor tom there is not much to comment on. It sounds like a dream, no movement whatsoever during playing, set up is real fast.

I did this video a few months back. It shows how stable they are under playing (although the video is a sound demo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaAlQSpdUrQ

There is some lateral movement yes, but you don´t notice that while playing at all. Set up is a bit faster with these mounts since you don´t have to fasten a wing nut. The lateral movement is no issue. Regarding the floor tom there is not much to comment on. It sounds like a dream, no movement whatsoever during playing, set up is real fast.

I did this video a few months back. It shows how stable they are under playing (although the video is a sound demo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaAlQSpdUrQ

I've experienced similar results, both on my Star kit and two Starclassic kits. Terrific suspension system.

I've experienced similar results, both on my Star kit and two Starclassic kits. Terrific suspension system.

Agreed. I love my Starclassic kit as well! To anyone reading this thread and considering a Tama kit with this system; The drums barely move when playing, and you can position them as close or far from you as you wish. The integrated memory-lock system is awesome, and everything is streamlined and classy-looking to boot! It's very nice, and I rate it a tad bit higher than Yamaha's fantastic system because of Tama's additional horizontal positioning capabilities.

One caveat -- it may take some time to get the toms positioned to your liking initially, but once you have them dialed-in its great and worth it IMO.

Based on several videos from Tama - The floor tom legs are indeed supposed to wobble. The legs are air cushioned a little bit, but the wobble allows the drum to resonate and sing more freely. Same with the rack toms, though with the rack toms this is common on a modern kit, and usually desired. Even the product videos state this. I just received a B/B (Maybe walnut used, so not sure) Performer yesterday and can confirm, there is some sway. It's a selling point for me. I'm coming from Mapex Saturns with three isolated floor tom brackets and can't stand rigid floor toms after that experience. It should be noted you can "lock" the bracket on the Starclassic legs left or right for more or less wobble. The mounting system is basically what brought me from Saturn IV over to Tama, since Mapex eliminated the floating floor tom legs and started shipping kits without the tom mount on the bass drum.

I've had a Starclassic for a week now. I love this mounting system! The floor tom is actually more stable than a more typical rigid system. If you bump it, it moves in a horizontal motion instead of tipping. It's beautiful to watch, lol. There's significant play in the mounted toms, but the mount design works like a detent, so while you can push it around by hand, the tom actually sits "soft-locked" in place.

Resurrection of an almost 4 year old thread! I have had B/Bs since the beginning of 2016. I feel bad I wasn’t here to defend the hardware! My 12” tom has been about a half inch away from the bass on the bottom and same next to the 10” tom without making contact once in 3 1/2 years. The toms all wobble when you push them with your hands but I don’t notice or think about it when playing. Honestly I thought it was pretty clever when I bought them. Hard hitter with no issues here.

The floor tom legs on my 2016 Starclassic do exactly this. It 100% intentional to aid resonance. Cant remember if my rack tom does but they don't move around in slightest when I play.

If your Tama Starcast mounted toms ‘wobble’ you are doing something wrong....

(Tama Starcast mount user since 1999)

If your Tama Starcast mounted toms ‘wobble’ you are doing something wrong....

(Tama Starcast mount user since 1999)
To be clear you have to push pretty hard and it‘s post-2013 mounts with the Quick Lock system. Slight pressure exhibits no more movement than any typical mount.

To be clear you have to push pretty hard and it‘s post-2013 mounts with the Quick Lock system. Slight pressure exhibits no more movement than any typical mount.
My post was intended for the original post not yours, sorry if it seemed that way.

Yes, if you push on them with your hands they will flex, but I have not experienced any more movement when playing with sticks than any other maker's mounts, and less than some maker's mounts.

Resurrecting this thread like Mickey Mouse summoning the brooms dressed as a wizard.

I was a bit concerned at the wobble in my Starclassic floor tom, but this seems to be normal. My kit was made in 2020 so I assume they've made no changes since 2016 regarding stability. Feels stable, just really wobbly if pushed by hand.

Back