Support your local music store!

I work at my local drum shop, (Resurrection Drums in Hollywood, FL), and I could not be a bigger advocate of going into a store and hitting drums and playing cymbals and yes, even trying on t-shirts for size. =]

Seriously though, we do all that we can an more for the community. My store hosts our local annual Big Beat in November, we're the number one supplier for local schools, churches, and studios. We are also the number one distributor for a lot of music stores' drum departments in South America and the Caribbean. We are constantly doing events and clinics geared towards kids and education that don't make us a dime.

I go into any of the Guitar Centers or Sam Ashes around us, and they don't compare. Not by a long shot. There is nothing these stores can do that rivals us in any way. Sales, customer service, knowledge, experience, passion, community outreach, education, etc. And if that's their physical store, imagine how much we have their online stores beat.

Granted, South Florida is not the place for music or music stores. I know that. It's really rough down here, and with one "Drum Store" in all of South Florida, people are forced to go to the big guys or the internet. The only other "Drum Stores" in the state are in Tampa and Orlando. Where does that leave people who have to drive more than 20 minutes to get here? They usually end up going to Sam Ash or Guitar Center or Best Buy or [at the time] Mars Music, or more likely, an online site.

And then there's the issue of stores like mine or Memphis Drum Shop or Fork's Drum Closet doing business online. I have mixed feelings on this. It's great because you're supporting us. You're supporting the little guys who do care and will accept returns and send something back to Ludwig or Gretsch or Mapex or Pearl and get a written apology with a new drum and some extras because of the trouble at no extra cost. That's how stores like us operate, and our business ethic and care for the customers and musicians does extend to our online customers and overseas customers.

That being said, there is still that element of going in and trying your instrument. I used to buy online before I knew my store existed. It was terrible. I may have had one smooth transaction with online music stores when buying my drum gear. They would send the wrong snare wires or I wouldn't like a cymbal or my drum heads would take over a month. Going into a physical store, be it Resurrection Drums or Guitar Center, certainly grants you the opportunity to play your instrument in person and see and touch and hear and feel the qualities of it. I felt uncomfortable buying run-of-the-mill cymbals online back in the day. Now that I play mostly dark, warm, hammered, cymbals, I would never consider buying one online. Unless it was something I really knew I would like at an incredible price, to where it would not be a huge loss if I didn't dig it, I won't buy it.

Why couldn't I have something like this to write about in my College Writing course? I could have written 2,000 words about this...

Most of the arguments against buying from a local music store has been covered here and I agree with them. We used to have a local music store here and I supported the store while it was in business. But..most every time I went there...what I needed had to be ordered...with a wait time of almost a week.

If I am looking for a major piece for my drum set or a cymbal, I will travel the 70 miles to the Memphis Drum Shop.

Only place around here to buy drum heads or sticks is from a local pawn shop and then they have to order the items. So do I take a chance of getting a bad head or stick from a local retailer at a higher price or buy online at a lower price? No question about it in my opinion.

i find it amusing this debate is still going on.

i also find it amusing people preaching "support the local stores' with a blanket term with out knowing rather my local stores deserve supporting. do they support me or just my wallet? what if my local store is one of the big internet retailers? should i only buy from them in person and anybody using the net should not buy from them? hell, mass music & rupps drums is only a few miles from me and i wouldn't purchase a cymbal felt from them online or in person. what about the mom and pop shops online? should i not buy from them because their not local?

or do you mean just the big box retailers like gc & mf & interstate? frankly i haven't seen a deal so great i can't beat it with 5 minutes and a google search. their not running small stores out of business, their running themselves out of business.

i fail to see the logic in this debate at all, some local shops deserve the support and some don't. big box stores serve a purpose and it's not all their fault small stores go out of business. so just shop were you like to shop and get over it already.

i find it amusing this debate is still going on.

i also find it amusing people preaching "support the local stores' with a blanket term with out knowing rather my local stores deserve supporting. do they support me or just my wallet? what if my local store is one of the big internet retailers? should i only buy from them in person and anybody using the net should not buy from them? hell, mass music & rupps drums is only a few miles from me and i wouldn't purchase a cymbal felt from them online or in person. what about the mom and pop shops online? should i not buy from them because their not local?

or do you mean just the big box retailers like gc & mf & interstate? frankly i haven't seen a deal so great i can't beat it with 5 minutes and a google search. their not running small stores out of business, their running themselves out of business.

i fail to see the logic in this debate at all, some local shops deserve the support and some don't. big box stores serve a purpose and it's not all their fault small stores go out of business. so just shop were you like to shop and get over it already.
Well said. I think the era of the local shop is at an end, especially if they do not use the internet along with their store front. Times are a changing people. You have to change with it or get out of the way. :)

They are A**h***s there! I've shopped there since I was a kid and they are mad at me cause I bought my last kit elsewhere cause I saved $250. I am unemployed also...so $250 means something to me. I also in 2011 bought two drum kits from them one Ludwig classic and the other a Sonor force 3007 for my kids. Really what do they want from me? I told them straight up I don't have a lot of money and I shop for the best price. They are the ones that made it personal over $250. I'm not one to keep a drum kit so it's not like they would never see me again. After their attitude and smart remarks about to people I know I will never shop there.

I can find better deals then them anyway. Dales use to be a great drum shop but all they sell anymore is new Old stock drum that they buy for nothing.

By the way Bentley Drum Shop killed their price on my Ludwig Vistalite kit.

Other great place for kiiler deals is Backbeat Drum Shop.

I completely disagree. Their prices are fantastic and their employees are top notch.

In fact, I went there over lunch and spent some money on this:

IMAG0537.jpg

How much was that Roc and Soc if you don't mind me asking.

Out the door for $151 bucks. It's the Nitro version.
I was just looking at it on line. Who ever makes them, also makes DW's. I have a DW round top, and the base is identical to the threaded Roc n Soc.

I was just looking at it on line. Who ever makes them, also makes DW's. I have a DW round top, and the base is identical to the threaded Roc n Soc.

I sat on the $200+ dollar DW Air Lift when I was there. Not even close to as comfortable as the RnS.

Dale's has most of their thrones on sale this week. This was $142 before tax. They will ship to you. They've got black and red in stock.

I sat on the $200+ dollar DW Air Lift when I was there. Not even close to as comfortable as the RnS.

Dale's has most of their thrones on sale this week. This was $142 before tax. They will ship to you. They've got black and red in stock.
I just bought a black and red Mapex one with the same shape as yours for 100. It isn't hydraulic, but then I never change my height anyways. :)

I thought Dale's was way overpriced and rude. I haven't been in their store since about 1994. Don't plan on it either.

I'd love to know where you guys shop then. I haven't seen anyone online or local that can touch their prices. And I've always been treated with respect when I've been in there...which has been regularly since I started playing 6 years ago.

So I just got back from Seattle's only 5-Star drum shop and was a bit disappointed.

Sticks, I'm happy to report that they had some Saturns in stock, including the same color limited edition sparkle burst kit that you have. It wasn't set up though. They did have another color that was set up and I was eager to smack it around, but not even a minute into it, the guy at the counter was like, "HEY! Can you stop? I'm talking over here." This was at the far end of the store I was only hitting the drums (no cymbals) so when I did stop, I could hear the dude yammering on about what he likes about some cymbal or another to one of his buddies. They did sound really good, though. That much I could tell. Very solid kit indeed.

However, I go over there during my lunch hour when I know it isn't busy so it shouldn't have been such a huge imposition. I've dropped a lot of money at that place and it is a drum store after all.

Apart from this one experience, their prices for everything always seem too high and the jr. sales guys apparently don't have the authority to come down to earth on their pricing. I know about overhead and all that, but c'mon, I can go to GC a mile away and hit everything I want, and even though they have high turnover with their cheeseball sales force, I appreciate that I can play before I buy without hassle (on my lunch hour anyway) adn that I don't have to be a haggling prick to get a fair price - I don't mean a smokin' deal, just fair market value is all I'm after.

Signed,
Less Likely To Support The 5 Star Chumps

So I just got back from Seattle's only 5-Star drum shop and was a bit disappointed.

Sticks, I'm happy to report that they had some Saturns in stock, including the same color limited edition sparkle burst kit that you have. It wasn't set up though. They did have another color that was set up and I was eager to smack it around, but not even a minute into it, the guy at the counter was like, "HEY! Can you stop? I'm talking over here." This was at the far end of the store I was only hitting the drums (no cymbals) so when I did stop, I could hear the dude yammering on about what he likes about some cymbal or another to one of his buddies. They did sound really good, though. That much I could tell. Very solid kit indeed.

However, I go over there during my lunch hour when I know it isn't busy so it shouldn't have been such a huge imposition. I've dropped a lot of money at that place and it is a drum store after all.

Apart from this one experience, their prices for everything always seem too high and the jr. sales guys apparently don't have the authority to haggle. I know about overhead and all that, but c'mon, I can go to GC a mile away and hit everything I want, and even tho they have high turn-over and a cheesball sales force, I appreciate that I can play before I buy without hassle (on my lunch hour anyway) adn that I don't have to be a haggling prick to get a fair price - I don't mean a smokin' deal, just fair market value is all I'm after.

Signed,
Less Likely To Support The 5 Star Chumps
Good thing I wasn't there with you. We would still be playing, and that guy would of got an ear full. That is the problem. Most of the time they don't have the nice stuff set up, and if they do, you can't touch them with sticks anyways, because most of us won't buy them with stick marks, so what are they supposed to do.

I'd love to know where you guys shop then. I haven't seen anyone online or local that can touch their prices. And I've always been treated with respect when I've been in there...which has been regularly since I started playing 6 years ago.

i've never shopped at dale's, i looked threw their website a few times. their prices aren't high but their not low either. $150 is about the going rate for the RnS nitro throne from most places that i saw. i bought that exact same throne with a matching back rest for $176 new off ebay from i believe interstate music. right now their going from $145 to $159 with no back rest so i'd say you got a pretty fair deal.

i won't knock dale's, i don't know the guys or have bought anything from them as far as i know.

i do however know that dw buys their thrones from roc n soc with no name embroidered on the seat so they should be virtually identical.

Have you checked out Dorsey's drum and percussion selection? They have more stuff than Guitar Center and a great collection of ethnic percussion, trap drums, cymbals and hardware, mics, PAs, guitars and ukeleles, as well as some decent used stuff. I disagree that all local shops treat some customers as an afterthought. Dunkley, yes, they're not too much into serving people in bands and seem more school orchestra focused. But Dorsey does a great job in providing lots of choices and their prices are pretty competitive.

This is a different era, and it is also the same era. People in a geographic area rely on each other and I will continue to give locally-owned shops a shot at my business.

I've heard of people going into a local shop, trying out the gear and then buying that same gear online to save five bucks. To me, that's just total douche.

Yeah...Dorsey's. They were actually the inspiration for my last post. The drum department is a mess, with crap strewn everywhere. Half of the sticks on the rack are mismatched and laying around out of their sleeves, in piles. They don't stock any of the heads -or- sticks I use, and I use pretty standard stuff.

Back when I bought my first high-end kit, I stopped in there first. They quoted me $2000 higher than anyone else. Not exaggerating! All of the drums and cymbals I looked at there, are quite a bit more expensive than you can find at GC or online.

The last time I went in there I grabbed a pair of oak sticks marked at $18, thinking, "Oh well, after the discount this will be close enough." They rang them up and asked for $18! I haggled and mentioned the "40% off" sign...and I was flat-out denied. I even mentioned that GC sells them for $8.99. Then I asked for a refund, and I practically had to beg for my money back because they also tried to tell me, "no!" Bad prices, bad service, and the inability for them to adapt to the market. Fail. They project the attitude that technology and change is irrelevant and their customers should just take what they're given. I won't even go in there anymore.

You might see online price-comparing as "douche", but it's no different than calling several vendors for a quote, to find the best deal, bidding on contracts, etc. These days, a lot of people have smart phones and can find this information much faster. This trend is only going to grow and is part of the new economic reality that all businesses need to adapt to. I think it's silly to think of this as wrong or bad behavior on the consumer's part. Again...why should they feel obligated to pay more because some business in question, refuses to adapt to the market?

This is backwards and counter-productive, IMO. It just doesn't make sense. Most people can't afford the luxury of wastefully spreading extra wealth around for some perceived "psychic benefit". Most folks need their dollars to go as far as possible.

I like to think I have a relationship with the guys at Pro Drum in Hollywood. They've done so much for me over the last 25 years that I don't really think of going to the big box stores first (the owner even loaned me his car once when I had to go buy a part for my car when I got stuck once). But what's cool about Pro Drum is they don't give you this attitude if you decide to buy somewhere else. They're bigger than that and after being around for over 50 years, I doubt they think missing some of my small purchases is going to hurt them. But they're not like a struggling mom & pop business, so I guess none of this applies to them. There are no local music stores within 20 miles of me except Sam Ash and Guitar Center. If it's a big purchase, Pro Drum gets it. Small stuff? If I have time to drive out to Hollywood, Pro Drum gets it too. If not, GC and SA is it where I live.

They haven't loaned me a car yet, but they get all of my business. I drive about 80 miles to get there and it's worth every penny of gas money. And they'll ususally meet internet prices if you ask nicely.

...They quoted me $2000 higher than anyone else. Not exaggerating! All of the drums and cymbals I looked at there, are quite a bit more expensive than you can find at GC or online.

The last time I went in there I grabbed a pair of oak sticks marked at $18, thinking, "Oh well, after the discount this will be close enough." They rang them up and asked for $18! I haggled and mentioned the "40% off" sign...and I was flat-out denied. I even mentioned that GC sells them for $8.99. Then I asked for a refund, and I practically had to beg for my money back because they also tried to tell me, "no!" Bad prices, bad service, and the inability for them to adapt to the market. Fail. They project the attitude that technology and change is irrelevant and their customers should just take what they're given. I won't even go in there anymore
This is exactly the kind of shite that I've encountered and boils my blood. Yeah, I want the local small guys to stay in business, but not at the expense of getting bent over and treated like a chump!

Back