SuperKick III

DrewTheShoe

Well, I took the plunge and invested in a new kick batter.

It just so happened that the store clerk recommended either an EMAD or the SK3, and I chose the SK3.

And I love it!
It's pretty deep, but it's also punchy and full. The muffling has eliminated pretty much all of my overtone troubles, and tuning really wasn't too terribly bad.

I would definitely recommend the SK3 to, well, anyone really.
Aquarian at its best.

I also bought it at Just Drums, Shane Fowlke's store.
I have to say, I was very pleased with the service, the selection, and the fact that Shane even told me that he personally uses and loves this head.

Overall, great head at a great store.

SK3? I didn't know about this.

Evans releases the single-ply coated EMAD, and Aquarian has to come along and copy it...

Either way nice buy, glad to hear you had a nice buying experience. What's going to happen when Just Drums becomes a five-star shop? That'll be two with the same name(sort of off topic).

Evans releases the single-ply coated EMAD, and Aquarian has to come along and copy it...

Nah dude, it's just like a SK1, only they only come coated and with a control sound dot.
That's the only difference, really. No removable muffling involved.

SK3? I didn't know about this.

The SK 3 isn't a new head. It may have even been out before he single ply EMAD. It's simply a coated SK 1 with a dot. That's all.

That's not what I mean...

Evans had the EMAD single ply, and EMAD two ply. Aquarian had the Superkick single ply, and Superkick 2 ply.

After Evans released their coated EMAD single ply, their third edition, Aquarian released their third Superkick which is a coated single ply. All three Evans heads have their equivalent Aquarian heads.

That's not what I mean...

Evans had the EMAD single ply, and EMAD two ply. Aquarian had the Superkick single ply, and Superkick 2 ply.

After Evans released their coated EMAD single ply, their third edition, Aquarian released their third Superkick which is a coated single ply. All three Evans heads have their equivalent Aquarian heads.

But alas, Aquarian gets the edge because it offers SK1's and SK2's just in a Coated option, instead of being an entirely different entity (as is the case with Evans.)
Along with the SK3, yes, they have their equivilants, Aquarian also has a 2 ply coated and the single ply with a control dot, the SK3.

I'm pleased with what I've read so far about the SKIII, especially since I ordered one myself today.

I want a big boomy sound but with a bit of definition, and my bass drum is a 24, so it should sound huge.

Could you maybe take a picture of it on your bass drum? I know it sounds crazy, but I've never seen one before...

Sure, I'll get some pics up whenever I get around to taking photos of the kick.

I think it should sound good on your 24, but I'm going to try something more open soon. The muffling paired with the dot seems to be a bit much, since my kick is only a 22, smallish compared to a good number of the kicks I try to emanate.

I'm an SK II user and I love it. I'll have to give the SK III a try one of these days. Ten years from now we'll be discussing the SK XVIII.

Sure, I'll get some pics up whenever I get around to taking photos of the kick.

I think it should sound good on your 24, but I'm going to try something more open soon. The muffling paired with the dot seems to be a bit much, since my kick is only a 22, smallish compared to a good number of the kicks I try to emanate.

Hmm...I think I'm gonna go with the SK II for my 24" bass drum, just because it's tried and true, you really can't go wrong with it. I'd rather not take chances with such an expensive head.

I'm an SK II user and I love it. I'll have to give the SK III a try one of these days. Ten years from now we'll be discussing the SK XVIII.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing! How would a hazy and/or glassy bass head sound? Or maybe a triple-ply bass head...

Back