Sticky evans heads

Scratching has always been something that the traditional Evans coating is susceptible to and this is different than the issues with the coating becoming tacky as a result of heat/humidity. It never seemed to be an issue with brushes or sticks (can't really say the same for coatings from some other brands...). The film used for the UV1 is definitely more resilient than the film from the G1. It feels different and sounds different though the sonic difference can be quite subtle. I can't really share much more information than that.
The Red box G2 I found in my stash was bought, I'm pretty sure in January of 2021. It was scratched from the goofy fold out box almost entirely across the middle of the head. I put it on my Pearl Session 6.5×14 snare, and it sounds great. Hopefully the coating doesn't get sticky as it ages.

The Red box G2 I found in my stash was bought, I'm pretty sure in January of 2021. It was scratched from the goofy fold out box almost entirely across the middle of the head. I put it on my Pearl Session 6.5×14 snare, and it sounds great. Hopefully the coating doesn't get sticky as it ages.
Just as a rule of thumb, if you're ever dissatisfied with the condition of a new product, contact the manufacturer. It's quite standard for D'Addario to send out replacements for any damaged products.

Which is what they’ve done for me.

I asked for a set of coated g2’s instead and they were happy to do that. Hopefully no more of my heads do this, I have a fair few sitting on a shelf.

Full points to d’addario for their customer service.

I have experience of sticky evans heads. I acquired a whole stack of ebony coated heads and put them into storage. Decent dry, dry conditions that with sensible temperature range.

When I went to use them several were stuck together. This happened about 5 years ago

When other companies get it right the first time. I appreciate a good customer support, but it's still remedial.

I agree that replacing faulty product is great, but it's also a hassle for something like a drum head.

I played nothing but Evans heads for a long time and really liked them a lot. Then I went through a long spell of problem after problem. Sticky coatings, 2-ply heads where the plies weren't flat against each other, an EMAD where the ring wasn't attached all the way around, heads that delaminated...

I don't know if it was just coincidence or the new owners were trying to find EVERY corner to cut but in my own personal experience I haven't seen an existing product improve after being bought by D'Addario... It sounds like they've finally worked through at least some of the issues but I wonder how many other folks bailed and never came back like I did.

I agree that replacing faulty product is great, but it's also a hassle for something like a drum head.

I played nothing but Evans heads for a long time and really liked them a lot. Then I went through a long spell of problem after problem. Sticky coatings, 2-ply heads where the plies weren't flat against each other, an EMAD where the ring wasn't attached all the way around, heads that delaminated...
That's super disappointing to hear. Hopefully their product team has been connecting the dots regarding issues that you've identified. This was one of the key reasons why I frequented these forums when I was an employee- looking for product trends, opportunities, and issues.

I don't know if it was just coincidence or the new owners were trying to find EVERY corner to cut but in my own personal experience I haven't seen an existing product improve after being bought by D'Addario...
Hmmm, this seems like a stretch to me. D'Addario has owned the Evans brand for 28 years and has made considerable improvements in manufacturing and line-logic organization over that time. There are quite a few you might not even be aware of because it's at a detail level the the end user shouldn't even have to think about. Also keep in mind that, due to the nature of the business, new products are often rolled out rather than old products presented with updates. This isn't always the case but it's been my experience that it's far more common. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions to the rule.

Back