Starting out with E Drums, looking for some general guidance...

It depends how you play. When I play any e-drums, there is always some thwacking, tapping and booming.
I have a KT10 and my foot pushing down on the pedal causes a thump.
I think repetitive wood on plastic sounds are going to be annoying. Not much of a problem in a house, or ground floor apartment, but possibly not great in a raised apartment.

Does a really thick rug help the noise thing at all too?
Not really. A beaterless kick is the most effective solution for the biggest issue.

I've been using a Yamaha dtx6k3-x for the last 10 months. I prefer the silicone pads to mesh and it's a good starting point to try out both and see which you like best.
Things I do/don't like about the DTX6;
I like the feel of the pads but that's a matter of opinion.
The hi-hats aren't perfect but they're not bad for E kit (I've got the top of the range model with 'real' HHs).
Cymbals are rubber, what can you say!
Bass drum has a nice feel. Not as much 'rebound' as I would normally tune for but as a result it has made my technique better (the pads are not physically tunable, so if you don't like the rebound there's nothing you can do about it).
The sounds are great and even better is sample layering which I use extensively.
You can load up your own sample libraries which makes it very flexible.

I've done so much more practice since getting the dtx so highly recommend getting an E kit of some kind, especially if you live in an apartment.

I've done so much more practice since getting the dtx so highly recommend getting an E kit of some kind, especially if you live in an apartment.

I recommend gigging them :)

I recommend gigging them :)
Yep, we're doing that as well. It works well with the covers band and as much as possible I'm trying to match the drum sounds of the original. Plus a great boon to doing those small venues where I've got the sounds I want plus a volume control. Big 26" bd for the zep stuff and then a push of the button and into 80s electro mode! Brilliant.

Hi, I'm looking to move into an apartment which will obviously not allow me to practice my acoustic kit so I thought an E kit might be in order. Ideally, I'm looking for something that feels and sounds as close to an acoustic kit as possible. It would be great to practice several hours a day on this kit and then be able to go into a jam session without the feel of the acoustic kit feeling super foreign (not sure if this is possible). I'm asking this because I played on my friend's cheapish Roland kit with EZ drummer and while the sounds were good, I thought the tracking and dynamic range was very disappointing. It had a very hard time picking up my buzz rolls and softer strokes. I'd also like for the sound module to have a high degree of tuning customization--preferably separate tension for top and bottom heads and ability to adjust the snare wire tension (again, I don't know if this is possible).

How much should I be looking to spend to achieve what I'm looking for, and are there any particular kits you have experience with and recommend? Should I be looking to buy after-market e cymbals? Maybe put together my own kit with cheap acoustic shells, mesh heads, and triggers? All in, I'm comfortable allocating $2-2.5k on this if it's a kit that feels and sounds great--I definitely want to minimize the tears from missing my acoustic kit back home. Would like to use my vintage Ludwig Speed King and matching hi hat pedal with it if possible.

Thanks in advance--I apologize for sounding like a newb but this feels very far out of my realm.
This is just an example of course they are cheaper kits but they offer payment options so see if anything there suits your budget:

Back