SPD-SX sample import failure

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm having a problem with my older and newer pads importing two new samples. Format is correct (16/44.1) stereo wav file, and length shouldn't be an issue - I imported shorter samples about a month ago and they went in and work just fine. I sent the files in question to another user who re-rendered them, and those didn't work either. It's odd that neither unit will accept the samples, which were created in the same DAW I've used for years (Sound Forge.) USB drive is formatted correctly and the units can see all of the other samples in its folder, just not these.

I had an issue - probably similar - not too long ago and Roland came up with a solution, which of course I don't remember. Except that everything has been working fine, and suddenly I can't import. Units both have the latest update, but again, everything worked fine just a month ago, and not as of yesterday.

Anything I'm missing?

Is the usb flash drive a v3.x or v2.x ?

Have you tried importing from your computer using this app?

Is the usb flash drive a v3.x or v2.x ?

Have you tried importing from your computer using this app?

It's probably a USB2 drive, but that same drive worked just 3 or 4 weeks ago. The unit sees all of the other wav files on the drive, just not the two new ones (created in two different DAWs)

I think I tried the editor a while back, but didn't like it for the basic stuff I was doing: load a sample to a pad, hit pad, make a sound.

I explored the editor a little further, looks like there's a fee to use it. It's not a Roland product. :(

The unit sees all of the other wav files on the drive, just not the two new ones (created in two different DAWs)
This tells me it’s a problem with the .wav files. I don’t know what it could be other than extra metadata embedded in the new files. 🤷‍♂️

I explored the editor a little further, looks like there's a fee to use it. It's not a Roland product.
I use it and prefer it over the Roland app.

This tells me it’s a problem with the .wav files. I don’t know what it could be other than extra metadata embedded in the new files

Hmm, that's sounding familiar. They originally came from my phone's recorder, but were re-rendered in my usual daw, and also in Logic on another computer. But the meta stuff is sneaky! Will try again and see if I get the option to save without the meta data. :)

Nope, not reading in the list of wav files. I even tried 'playing' the sample in one daw while Audacity recorded it from the sound card, and then tried
d saving it from there. No dice.

Then I took a different sample from my library, copied it to the USB drive, and it also didn't show up.

It's not the drive, that works. It's just really odd that both pads are suddenly having the same issue. As if there was some sort of throttling date built into the OS. And as if I'd buy any more Roland pads after this.

I'll file an inquiry with Roland, they actually responded quickly last time.

Roland responded within a few hours, I wrote back, they requested the file in question and I sent it. Hope to have an answer tonight!!

The file I sent was fine, which is reassuring that my editing skills haven't waned. They said that a large quantity of imported files may cause a memory issue. They had a whole Factory Restore suggestion, but I tried something simpler - delete all the extra files from the folder, and copy just the two I need into it. That did the trick! the pad happily saw and loaded the files!

Interesting though, the 67 or so files I had on the drive weren't big, so it shouldn't have been a memory issue. Nor is 67 a large number of files.

Anyway, all is good in Roland-land again!

Bermuda

The file I sent was fine, which is reassuring that my editing skills haven't waned. They said that a large quantity of imported files may cause a memory issue. They had a whole Factory Restore suggestion, but I tried something simpler - delete all the extra files from the folder, and copy just the two I need into it. That did the trick! the pad happily saw and loaded the files!

Interesting though, the 67 or so files I had on the drive weren't big, so it shouldn't have been a memory issue. Nor is 67 a large number of files.

Anyway, all is good in Roland-land again!

Bermuda
To be clear, the USB flash drive had too many files on it? Or, the SPD-SX had too many files?

I’m glad you figured it out! 👍

To be clear, the USB flash drive had too many files on it? Or, the SPD-SX had too many files?
I guess the drive had too many files in its root directory. The unit apparently can only 'see' 66 or 67 files at a time? I suppose it wasn't necessary to keep all of them on there after they were loaded, they're all backed up in a few places.

So now I know. :)

I guess the drive had too many files in its root directory. The unit apparently can only 'see' 66 or 67 files at a time? I suppose it wasn't necessary to keep all of them on there after they were loaded, they're all backed up in a few places.

So now I know. :)
Good to know. I wish Roland tech knew about this quirk.

Good to know. I wish Roland tech knew about this quirk.
It seems like they sort of do, but they have an "all or nothing" approach, and I like shortcuts and hacks. Guess I found the hack!

But the "identical" machines are also different, even with the same current software versions. When listing the files to be imported, the older pad lists them (I think) in the order in which they were loaded onto the card... so maybe by the file's date? But the newer pad displays the files in alphabetical order!

Back