Sometimes I play traditional grip and sometimes I play match grip.

I learned traditional and eventually played matched. But I still flip my left stick to trad when I need to do rolls. I'm sure I could learn rolls in matched, but I'm already up to speed with trad.

For me, traditional grip is just more fun. I've tried switching to fully matched at different points but I always find myself missing trad. Which is odd considering how much pain it caused when I was younger and had bad technique.

I'm in the same camp. There are just some things that feel better in traditional, which is the way I learned. But I keep working at matched, too, because there are things that feel better that way, and ultimately I'd like to be able to play everything well in matched grip.

I used traditional grip in the dawn of my drumming development, eventually switching to matched grip permanently. I like the symmetry of matched grip (meaning the same grip for both hands), as well as the enhanced reach it affords me behind a drum kit. Were I a jazz drummer, however, I'd probably use traditional as a rule. Jazz and traditional grip are inseparable in my mind, though I realize that some jazz drummers do prefer matched grip.

I also play both:

trad in lighter volume jazz applications and marching snare
matched everywhere else
I actually prefer matched brushes to traditional, which is weird for some people

I think it's Uncle Larry who plays traditional grip with both hands when using brushes. Kind of the opposite!

that would totally mess me up!! Holding RH traditional is like nails on a chalk board to me...feels soooo wierd!!

I also use both and switch between the two.

I prefer trad these days but matched is more suited for higher volume situations. I find both make me play differently and I like that.

Like others have already said. I use match for full volume and usually switch to traditional at low volume or in ballady or jazzy stuff. However, I don't switch when playing softer dynamics in an otherwise full volume tune.

I don't really think about it all that much, it's just what I usually end up doing.

For me, traditional grip is just more fun. I've tried switching to fully matched at different points but I always find myself missing trad. Which is odd considering how much pain it caused when I was younger and had bad technique.
Oh ok. Some songs I play traditional grip and some I play match grip. I know you feel. Pity.

Like others have already said. I use match for full volume and usually switch to traditional at low volume or in ballady or jazzy stuff. However, I don't switch when playing softer dynamics in an otherwise full volume tune.

I don't really think about it all that much, it's just what I usually end up doing.
True

Pierre van der Linden is quite an underrated drummer, even here in the Netherlands imo. Vinnie switches quite often between the grips. Who are the trad only drummers ???

Back