Solo Development......

moontheloon

Silver Member
......so Im working on a deal with a certain cymbal company.....been in negotiations for about a year....... and they have me booked for a few clinic type performances at a couple music stores and schools.....

I have spent about 4 months so far developing this solo Im going to be using .....

its based around a groove and stays musical all the way through.....I have some bass lines and melodies on the Macbook that accompany me occasionally throughout the piece .....

Ive tried to make sure I demonstrate independence (with some afro cuban grooves), technique, groove, melody, flow, some tasteful metric modulation, the occasional burning lick (never want to over do it.) , and most of all dynamics .....playing to a click the whole time

the whole thing is about 20 minutes long....

I tried to channel Elvin Jones, Keith Carlock, John Bonham, Dennis Chambers, Benny Greb, and Steve Gadd......all with the spirit of Keith Moon......

Ive worked my ass off on this solo......that I hate calling a solo....I prefer "piece" :)

anyway...I worked my ass of on it for months and I still dont feel like its where I want it...

thing is....Im not sure Ill ever be satisfied with it.....sort of like a painter who doesnt know when his painting is done......

I dont want to keep adding happy little trees until I ruin the paintings integrity......so to speak

been trying to film it and post it here but the audio always seems to suck....

Im sure parts will come and go the more I perform it.....

anyway.....my point...

have any of you ever tried to develop anything like this?

how did you go about it?

are you happy with it?

did it morph when you started performing it?

did you feel the need to throw the kitchen sink in it...or did you keep it "less is more" ?

Ive tried to keep it "less is more"......didnt want it to sound like a stack of licks

thoughts?

Last edited:
the whole thing is about 20 minutes long....

wow! are you planning to perform that whole thing from start to finish at a clinic? i'd say that's way too long. i've been to many clinics by some of the great masters and i've never seen anyone perform a solo that long. Can you compress it, or maybe make a few different solos out of it?

i think your ideas and thinking are good though.

wow! are you planning to perform that whole thing from start to finish at a clinic? i'd say that's way too long. i've been to many clinics by some of the great masters and i've never seen anyone perform a solo that long. Can you compress it, or maybe make a few different solos out of it?

i think your ideas and thinking are good though.

ive been asked to fill an hour...so i figure 20 minutes of playing 40 minutes of questions and some possible demonstrating with audience participation.....

every clinic ive seen has far too much talking and not enough playing.....

I enjoyed Benny Grebs clinic very much......he did about a 20 min solo then answered questions for about an hour....

yr right though....maybe I should take some pieces out....shorten it a bit

i saw benny greb a few months ago and he did play a long solo, but i don't think it was 20 minutes long. maybe 10-15 minutes or so. it was pretty incredible though!

if i were going to your clinic i'd rather hear you play two or three solos rather than one giant 20 minute solo. that's just too long in my opinion. maybe you could play different types of solos demonstrating different ideas and concepts, or play to a backing track in one of them.

i saw benny greb a few months ago and he did play a long solo, but i don't think it was 20 minutes long. maybe 10-15 minutes or so. it was pretty incredible though!

if i were going to your clinic i'd rather hear you play two or three solos rather than one giant 20 minute solo. that's just too long in my opinion. maybe you could play different types of solos demonstrating different ideas and concepts, or play to a backing track in one of them.

yeah I may split it in two

Back