Snare buzz

Eric_H

I'm having a problem with my snare drum where if I don't hit the direct center in makes a nasty noise which gets iritating because I can't constantly look down when I'm drumming. I am also using the Evans E rings for damping but it's still making a gross buzzing noise is there anyone that can diagnose this and give me a solution?

Practice for consistency/accuracy when hitting, so you arent always looking at where to hit. Thats just a muscle memory issue that will resolve itself with time and practice. The buzz can be resolved with tuning and possibly muffling options. Also, snare buzz just comes with the business sometimes because it's a drum set, to a certain extent.

I'm having a problem with my snare drum where if I don't hit the direct center in makes a nasty noise which gets iritating because I can't constantly look down when I'm drumming. I am also using the Evans E rings for damping but it's still making a gross buzzing noise is there anyone that can diagnose this and give me a solution?
This is normal. An in tune drum does not produce overtones in the center. As you move away from striking in center, it produces more overtones the farther you get.

It's how soundwaves travel along the head. Think of it like this:

You have a round swimming pool. If you drop a rock in the middle, the waves propagate from center, travel to the edge, and return to the middle at the same time. Now drop the rock near the edge. Some waves reach the edge and start to return while others are still trying to cross the pool to the other side. These waves start to interrupt each other. An in tune drum works exactly the same way.

I noticed that same issue when I recently installed a Remo Powerstroke 3 coated with dot batter on my snare. That was also with an Evans E ring as well. Looking through my E rings, I had a 14" that was one inch wide and a 14" that was maybe 1.5" wide. Using the two together cured the wierd ringing. But, I'm also learning to hit the snare in the middle as I progress.

First take a look at your snare wires and make sure they are all straight and perpendicular, not askew when engaged.

Next the bottom side (resonant) head may need to be loosened to allow it to vibrate enough to excite the snares properly beacuase if the bottom head is too tight the wires will not function correctly. Also, try adjusting your snare strainer tension knob in combination with that bottom head tension checking it's even at each lug.

Last edited:
First of all, check the tuning of your drum, including the “tuning” of your snare wires.

Secondly, your drum *should* be able to produce a few different, usable sounds. If you hit it dead center, it should be snappy and dry. If you hit it just off center, it should add some body to the sound. If you hit it just outside of that, maybe 1.5”-2” off center, it should give you an “open” sound. I play around with these sounds all the time. Like, if I want a tighter sound for the verse, but then want to open up the sound to be bigger for the chorus, I’ll adjust where I hit the drum, accordingly—not unlike playing the hi hats with the tip of the stick, the shoulder of the stick, or having them slightly open for different sounds.

After playing for a while, if you want to pay attention to such things, you’ll get used to playing the drum in the different areas without looking, just like you can learn to play a rimshot without looking. It’s about the feel of the drum and response of the sound.

But, yeah, first thing’s first: check your tuning.

If both heads are seeded correctly, bearing edges are good, have a good snare bed and the drum is tuned. Check to see if the snare is out of round. If everything is good, the new set of snare. I have used these wires for years.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1B693BCD76C1DCE6057A1B6&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

I love all of this advice except for the Puresound wires (sorry! :)). I find the absolute cheapest snare wires I can. Those always sound the best to me. I'd love to play a snare that had Puresounds on them that sounded good to me because they ARE a quality product and are super-popular! I know I'm in the minority here.

I'd also suggest something like a Snareweight M80.

...if I don't hit the direct center in makes a nasty noise...
Some drums are less forgiving than others, and the choice of head and snare wires can make a big difference. And the exact way you hit the drum makes a big difference. Sad to say, but I played drums for about 100 years before someone demonstrated that to me and the lightbulb finally went off. That's a big part of why someone else can play my kit and the drums sound so much better (or worse). On my snare, I need to use a slightly different stroke and way of hitting for centre shots and off-centre shots, and I only figured that out a few weeks ago (with help from the forum).

If you just prefer hearing more drum and less snare, like me, you could try carefully removing some of the centre strands from a cheap set of snares. Less strands = less snare sounds. The 20-strand snares that came with my drum now have 12 strands, and I much prefer the sound. I might try removing a few more.

Hello again. Make sure the wires lay flat and are straight. If the reso. tension rods are tight on both sides of the wire, back them off about 1/4-1/2 turn each and see how the buzz sounds. IMO don't go more than 3 complete. Also if the wires are no-pitch, which works best with deep snare beds and pitch, works best with no or small beds. (Fat Cat wires)
1657662751421.png

Last edited:
Back