Slightly Modified Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
Just wanted to share my results from my newest experiment: I sold all of my expensive/semi-expensive kits and expensive cymbals (K's) and went back to the kit I always loved the sound of and first recorded with: the Yamaha SCB. As for cymbals, I went with Meinl Classics Custom Dark series for 2 reasons - they sound great especially in a rock/metal setting, they cut through and they are cheaper to replace when you crack them, and I crack them (tired of replacing K's or A's), like 1/2 the cost, plus you get a 2 year warranty.

So here is the SCB - new in black, but I made some mods:

1) Black nickel 2.3mm hoops from Drum Factory Direct - top and bottom on all drums
2) Sleeved washers on all lugs (black)
3) Remo clear Emperor batters, Ambassador resonants, Coated Emperor batter on snare, diplomat resonant, PS3 on kick, Remo muffle system (Weckl)
4) Puresound blaster snares
5) Lug locks on snare
6) Simple conversion to virgin kick

So far, my band, management, promoters and longtime fans all think this is the best I've had. I honestly think I'm done gearwise, just replacements when I break things. Here's pics:

87974942_812868792568202_58_med.jpeg
88097074_812868822568199_40_med.jpeg

88015799_812868875901527_36_med.jpeg
87389435_812868905901524_85_med.jpeg

Here's whats' there:

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch - modified - 7x10”, 8x12”, 15x16", 17x22" BD, 14x5.5” snare

Meinl 20” Classic Custom Dark Ride, 18" Classic Custom Dark Crash, 17" Classic Custom Dark crash, 10" Classic Custom Dark Splash, 8" Classic Custom Dark Splash, Two sets of 14" Classic Custom Dark Hi-Hats, 18” Classic Custom Dark China, 16” Classic Custom Dark Trash Crash, 14” Wuhan China, 6” Bell

Remo Heads - Clear Emperor and Ambassadors and PS3 bass drum heads, PureSound Snare wires, Gibraltar, Tama and Yamaha Hardware, Tama Speed Cobra 910 Double Pedal with Trick Universal Drive Shaft and Cymbal Quick Releases.

Why do you like those heads over the Evans? I’m looking for a new set of heads.

Nice kit!
I did something similar recently. I sold my high end kit and I bought a SCB instead.
I also like Emperors on top.
Are you using the stock snare? What do you think of it? (I didn't try the snare out yet)

Last edited:
Nice kit! I also really like clear Emperors on my SCB. Do you think the 2.3 hoops were worth the cost?

Absolutely worth it. A lot of unwanted overtones are eliminated and the sound is more focused. My 12" used to have a weird ring to it, now it's perfect. Also, it's easier to tune and stays in tune (well also thanks to the sleeved washers). The black nickel looks really nice too.

Nice kit!
I did something similar recently. I sold my high end kit and I bought a SCB instead.
I also like Emperors on top.
Are you using the stock snare? What do you think of it? (I didn't try the snare out yet)

Yup, that's the stock snare and that was also an experiment. I've had SCB's before and never liked the snare, so I decided to mod it like i described above - Black 2.3mm hoops, Emperor coated, Diplomat and Puresound Blaster snares. I tune it using a Tunebot at 400 snareside and 340 batter side. It's loud and cutting, especially rim shots. The guys in the brutal metal band I'm in were floored when I first played it and I normally use a 13" Yamaha musashi Oak which is deadly :)

Yup, that's the stock snare and that was also an experiment. I've had SCB's before and never liked the snare, so I decided to mod it like i described above - Black 2.3mm hoops, Emperor coated, Diplomat and Puresound Blaster snares. I tune it using a Tunebot at 400 snareside and 340 batter side. It's loud and cutting, especially rim shots. The guys in the brutal metal band I'm in were floored when I first played it and I normally use a 13" Yamaha musashi Oak which is deadly :)

Nice! I'll have to try mine out too!

So far, my band, management, promoters and longtime fans all think this is the best I've had.

Thanks, Joe, for showing us your kit and telling us about all the mods you've made to make it the kit you want.

How did you learn of all of these people's opinions on your new kit? Most of us are simply ignored except by fellow musicians!

GeeDeeEmm

I live about 2 miles from DrumFactoryDirect. It's in an old church they converted into an online biz but you can also do walk in buys too. Great place!!

Nice kit
I see you have a stealth rack for your toms & snare. Is there really a noticeable difference between toms & snare mounted on stands "vs" the stealth rack or is it just a little less hardware to hall around?

It's less to haul but also it saves time because your toms and snare will always be in the right spot, plus I use the meinl rug markers. Setting up is faster and there's no guesswork.

Thanks, Joe, for showing us your kit and telling us about all the mods you've made to make it the kit you want.

How did you learn of all of these people's opinions on your new kit? Most of us are simply ignored except by fellow musicians!

GeeDeeEmm

I just went up to each person and asked them after a recent show. They only noticed the difference because they look different lol. I used to have a mapex saturn V. My band members heard the difference right away.

I just went up to each person and asked them after a recent show. They only noticed the difference because they look different lol. I used to have a mapex saturn V. My band members heard the difference right away.
Are you suggesting this drum set is better than a S V? I own an S V(10x7,12x8,14x12,16x14) and just changed my heads today (had silentstrokes till now for lockdown, fkin neighbors) and really fell in love with the kit all over again. I used to own a Stage Custom, kick was booming,toms also great, but i really find it hard to put it over my Saturn. The only thing i would change is make my BD 22x16 if i could, but in its 18" dimension as it is, the sound makes me happy every time i hit it.

Back