Sleeping with a metronome

Davo-London

Gold Member
Not that this will ever happen for me as my wife wouldn't cope with it understandably.

However, I am interested to know whether anyone has done this and improved their timing as a result. I've heard about this technique from 3 different sources this week and I'd never heard of it before.

Cheers
Davo

I don't know if it has improved my timing at all since I've only been doing it a week, but since I got the Mastering the Tables of Time book, I've started falling asleep listening to a very quiet click on my phone underneath my pillow and tapping through the time table with my fingers/hands as I'm falling asleep... it actually helps me get to sleep and it doesn't bother my wife at all...

My wife is in charge of the tempo and pattern controls. We are very happy these days.

My drumming still sucks, but who cares.

-R

I never did it with a metronome, but I have subliminally listened to morse code while I slept preparing for my 20 words per minute morse code exam for my extra class ham license. I don't know if it did any good, but I did pass the exam. This was about 15 years ago. There is definitely a certain cadence when sending or receiving morse code.

Dennis

Not that this will ever happen for me as my wife wouldn't cope with it understandably.

However, I am interested to know whether anyone has done this and improved their timing as a result. I've heard about this technique from 3 different sources this week and I'd never heard of it before.

Cheers
Davo
If you act like it bothers you too, you won't get blamed. Just before bed, say something like "where the hell is that damned clicking sound coming from?", and look at her very quizzically.

I would it probably wouldn't improve your time. It might make a small difference but the real solution would be to practice more with a metronome. Old-fashioned advice I know but it's certainly the best thing for improving your timing.

If you act like it bothers you too, you won't get blamed. Just before bed, say something like "where the hell is that damned clicking sound coming from?", and look at her very quizzically.

Hahahahaha!

I'm intrigued by this sleeping with metronomes malarky, I might give it a go. I did try this with a drum solo I wanted to learn 12 years ago. I couldn't barwly play the basic beat then and I only did it for one night so I don't think that's enough to go off. I didn't even remember some of solo, it all went over my head back then.

Do you think this method could work? 'cos surely it's muscle timing aswell as inner timing so it can't work wonders can it?

Well Chunky muscle memory should work at a range of tempos. That's why it's so important to do exercises real slow. But that doesn't necessarily help the inner clock so I'm not sure they're directly connected.

Davo

If nothing else, you'll be able to count sheep in absolutely perfect time.

I’ve slept with a metronome many nights. She’s easy to turn on, and our rhythms are perfectly in sync.

Yes, the hilarity here on Drummerworld reaches new heights. Not.

But seriously, I have actually slept with a metronome running for many months at a time over the years. I have no way of knowing whether it’s actually helped my time, as it’s impossible to conduct a controlled experiment, but if nothing else, it lets me mentally work on timing while I drift off to sleep. I put it on the slowest possible setting and not too loud, then just chill out and subdivide in my head.

It’s actually quite relaxing. For a drummer. Perhaps not so much for non-drummers within earshot.

I’ve slept with a metronome many nights. She’s easy to turn on, and our rhythms are perfectly in sync.

Yes, the hilarity here on Drummerworld reaches new heights. Not.

But seriously, I have actually slept with a metronome running for many months at a time over the years. I have no way of knowing whether it’s actually helped my time, as it’s impossible to conduct a controlled experiment, but if nothing else, it lets me mentally work on timing while I drift off to sleep. I put it on the slowest possible setting and not too loud, then just chill out and subdivide in my head.

It’s actually quite relaxing. For a drummer. Perhaps not so much for non-drummers within earshot.

Haha nice, what metronome are you using when you go to sleep? I have the Boss TU 80 for when I play guitar, but it usually conks out after a bit.

Back