Sick of the noise.

Bradastronaut

Had a comment from a neighbor, not a bad one. Just that they can hear me drumming. Makes me worried that some of my closer neighbors will get sick of this. My bass drum is stuffed with quilt, like STUFFED, then i have a towell and pad over the head...and it's still LOUD! well some days its not so bad but like today its all echoey and booming. My drum kit is in a conservatory which allows the noise to escape outside through the thin walls very easy, and it is between two couches so there is no option to put anything around it. And i also dont get along with my immediate neighbors very well either sooooo...any suggestions would be greatly apprecciated :D I also need to keep the feel as realistic as possible...

Had a comment from a neighbor, not a bad one. Just that they can hear me drumming. Makes me worried that some of my closer neighbors will get sick of this. My bass drum is stuffed with quilt, like STUFFED, then i have a towell and pad over the head...and it's still LOUD! well some days its not so bad but like today its all echoey and booming. My drum kit is in a conservatory which allows the noise to escape outside through the thin walls very easy, and it is between two couches so there is no option to put anything around it. And i also dont get along with my immediate neighbors very well either sooooo...any suggestions would be greatly apprecciated :D I also need to keep the feel as realistic as possible...

Mesh head e-kit - job done. certainly get a better feel from your kick than by stuffing the drum and hanging your laundry off of it!

I tend to find that mufflers and quilted bass drums make the drums sound louder, and alot worse...

My house is where the band practice, no sound proofing or anything. But nobody complains on my street, if anything they encourage me.
I have a mesh kit too (well, my dad does). You could always try the mesh drum heads?

keep drumming until they phone the police.
once the police come round leave it a few days then carry on drumming.
wait until they serve you with a notice, then and only then should you worry about mesh heads.

I had a mesh head over my bass drum for some time, left a massive dint in it very quick, though i could get another and place a dot over it to protect it, the dot didnt stay on my last mesh head...My snares fine since i use a practice pad over it and the hi hats arent too loud realy. Its just the echo of the bass drum goes through walls very easy haha

pad the bass drum out with foam or a quilt/duvet

or make a bass trap around the kit with thick curtains

I shovel snow from my neighbors sidewalks in the winter, just to be nice. They appreciate it. So I don't feel as bad playing.

On a related note, does anyone have experience building one of these?

http://www.dawbox.com/V-Drum-Booth-8x8.htm

I've been thinking about building something like this. Best thing is it can be disassembled and moved (important because I'm renting). Anybody used these plans?

For the OP, assuming a booth like this works as well as described, it could be a fun and useful project to work on over a few weekends...depending how much cash you've got to throw at it.

wait until they serve you with a notice, then and only then should you worry about mesh heads.

OR:

Build a defense Turret on your roof. Build another ICBM Tower next to it and at least two Grenade launchers in the garden. Upgrade them to level 5 at least. Buy the "dominance" upgrade at the weapon shop and for your Paladins the Healing Shield and the Holy spiked Armor of Defiance.

Once the Police arrives don't forget to push the "call for reinforcement" button as soon as it shows up. The Parachute reinforcements are best, but they cost you a lot of Mana.

If these things cannot hold off the police, wait for a few days, then carry on drumming. When you've been served with a legal notice, consider upgrading to nuclear strike or sunbeam. Don't forget to give your mammoth tanks the subliminal messaging upgrade once it's available.

Still not able to hold off the neighbors?

Well.... only then should you worry about mesh heads.

Things really are crazy in germany huh ;-)
p.s. lol'd at mana, currently regening

Not sure if this was a tongue and cheek response or not but I would really not recommend following that line of thought. Last thing you want is the police paying you a visit.

As others have said, mesh heads ;-)

Lol. The Police could be be further delayed by hurling small cups of human waste through the letterbox as they approach.

Bradastronaut, you need to get the drums out of the conservatory if at all possible. Bass drums are always the worst part of a kit to quieten, dampening does little to kill of the low frequencies that pass so easily through buildings. Consider looking for a smaller bass drum. Mesh heads are decent on bass drums, they retain a fair amount of feel.

Things really are crazy in germany huh ;-)
p.s. lol'd at mana, currently regening

I'm glad it's still possible to post humour on this board and people get it. Thanks, you made my day.

:)

But yes: Things are pretty crazy over here at times...

That's what I'm doing *trololol* My neighbour works from home and I play in the garage. Not for copious amounts and it's always around lunch time. But still they complain ha.

Next time they complain I'm gonna get some cheap foam flooring and duvets for the walls (Y)

OR:

Build a defense Turret on your roof. Build another ICBM Tower next to it and at least two Grenade launchers in the garden. Upgrade them to level 5 at least. Buy the "dominance" upgrade at the weapon shop and for your Paladins the Healing Shield and the Holy spiked Armor of Defiance.

Once the Police arrives don't forget to push the "call for reinforcement" button as soon as it shows up. The Parachute reinforcements are best, but they cost you a lot of Mana.

If these things cannot hold off the police, wait for a few days, then carry on drumming. When you've been served with a legal notice, consider upgrading to nuclear strike or sunbeam. Don't forget to give your mammoth tanks the subliminal messaging upgrade once it's available.

Still not able to hold off the neighbors?

Well.... only then should you worry about mesh heads.

I like the tower defence method... could work! Haha. I phoned up my local council btw for anyone bothered: they don't have anything in place for if there is a large amount of noise happening i.e. there's no limit. It's only when the police are involved that anyone's ever bothered.

Ok, Ok...here is uncle drumkats method of noise reduction. HQ sound off make a really good bass drum silencer which acts like a "clamp" and really does cancel a lot of noise.

I also filled my BD with a doona (or duvet to you Americans). I get a nice slap attack sound from the falam patch.

I went to my local Clark Rubber store and bought a sheet of 5mm neoprene rubber. I had enough to cover my snare, my crashes, my ride and my 2 toms. It cost me about $45-00.

Neoprene is a hard wearing rubber (it is not the wetsuit stuff BTW)...it is smooth, glossy black and gives your hands a real workout!

I guess some things will be sacrificed with dampening...feel, response etc.

Back