ShrinkFlation And How It Affects You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrinkFlation And How It Affects You!​

Is this when you get out of the pool and go into the house to use the bathroom and...well...never mind.

shades area GIF

Citation needed on the $1 coffee shops that weren’t fast food places.
The only one I can think of and it is fast food is McDonald's. Not sure if it's still a buck. But I actually like their coffee. And I think coffee at Cumberland Farms was a buck also. My work friends and I spent an hour debating coffee costs for an entire morning recently. Kcups vs Home brewing vs buying out vs grinding ones own... instant wan not spoken of.☕

The only one I can think of and it is fast food is McDonald's. Not sure if it's still a buck. But I actually like their coffee. And I think coffee at Cumberland Farms was a buck also. My work friends and I spent an hour debating coffee costs for an entire morning recently. Kcups vs Home brewing vs buying out vs grinding ones own... instant wan not spoken of.☕

The small local shops had inexpensive coffee. Of course they are gone now.

What makes these discussions as slippery as a wet noodle is we cling to romantic notions of the past ... Coffee shops (which one should distinguish from 7-11) may have had $1 coffee in the 70s (when a median-priced home was $38,000), but the actual facts are that when you adjust for inflation, 1 pound of coffee cost $6.45 in 1980 and $5.89 in 2022.

What makes these discussions as slippery as a wet noodle is we cling to romantic notions of the past ... Coffee shops (which one should distinguish from 7-11) may have had $1 coffee in the 70s (when a median-priced home was $38,000), but the actual facts are that when you adjust for inflation, 1 pound of coffee cost $6.45 in 1980 and $5.89 in 2022.

Thats just because people have to spend so much more for housing the coffee barons can't gouge us as much as the real estate barons. So even though theoretically we should be able to have coffee, coffee is relatively less expensive we can't actually afford to have coffee.

Is this when you get out of the pool and go into the house to use the bathroom and...well...never mind.

shades area GIF

wait...you get out of the pool to go to the bathroom....

I understand that higher-end Ludwig metal snare shells are now hydro formed. And yet the prices are still cringe-worthy. We're paying for the name, too. I'm considering a new BB. Is it worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that higher-end Ludwig metal snare shells are now hydro formed. And yet the prices are still cringe-worthy. We're paying for the name, too. I'm considering a new BB. Is it worth it?
The BB is one of Ludwig's flagship drums, and they won't compromise the product. Prices generally go up on things due to rising material and labor costs.

What most drum companies have done is offer drums with budget features at lower prices. Sometimes this works well, sometimes not. Ludwig for example launched the Supralite and Black Magic snares a while back, which were intended to compete with Supras and Black Beauties. They were nice snare at nice prices, but really weren't comparable to their intended counterparts and I believe both have run their course. Basically, if you love the BB, you have to buy a BB.

Ludwig tried to mitigate price increases with the Signet line, which were basically Classic Maple shells but without the added labor cost of wrapping, and drilling & assembling the drums. The 'wrap' was a veneer applied with the plies in the mold, and the customer installed the lugs, mounts, hoops and heads. Big savings and great sounding drums, but they fared poorly and disappeared quickly.

The point I'm making is that Ludwig is trying not to do shrinkflation, and that means raising prices where needed. The BB is hardly the only victim of that, and it would be a poor business decision if they compromised the quality/features of any of their existing products in order to maintain pricing.

Whether a 6.5" BB is worth $899 is a personal decision of course. Snare prices can get pretty expensive, $899 isn't really so shocking anymore. It is what it is, not Ludwig being greedy. Is there a comparable (read: seamless brass) alternative to the BB? I've seen some, and they're more expensive.

If you just want a nice brass snare, try Pork Pie's Big Black Bob for $399. But, it's not a Black Beauty.

Actually using MIckey Dee's as a measurement for Inflation is good one. Forget about Coffee, for those are Traffic producers like sale items in a Supermarket, but price a Happy Meal today vs. just a few years ago. I haven't consumed them for long time, but we did when my kids were young for the convenience and cost once a month or so. That stopped a long time ago as they are 41, & 38 now. When I was working (Thank God that's Over since May 2021) as a field guy (Real Estate Appraiser evolving into a Mortgage Loan Officer for 48 years), I would on occasion indulge in Fast Food lunch, particularly if I was in a unfamiliar area and couldn't find a Diner. Burger, Fries & a soda - $5 maybe $6 a decade ago. Go price a Big Mac Meal. today ... Hold onto Your Wallet! That's enough to make you feel like George Costanza in the cold pool.

BTW, pertaining to the coffee story, I have brewed my own for years [unless I was at work] - good old Braun or Black & Decker Drip machine using a "better" grade coffee. Never got into K Cups which was rigged to produce more profit for the makers, Coffee is a subjective thing for suraree That brings me back to ShrinkFlation. In the not-too-distant past, one could buy a Pound of Coffee for the price of "sale coffee" of today [circa $5.29] - only trouble is that there are only 11 ounces in the can! Perhaps you folks remember when sudden spikes in coffee prices occurred years ago - Blamed on poor weather, blight, etc. for the producing of coffee beans in Columbia. Then it would settle down after a recovery. Same thing with OJ. Sudden freezes would occur in Florida, Orange grooves damaged and the price of OJ skyrocketed - overnight. Then they would recover and settle down. I think Recovery is no longer to be expected. Just Shrink the Package! The Public will accept it....say the Board Members of the various companies. Those same companies will only pass those increases down!

I realize now this thread started with hesitation may be going off the rails... Sorry, but it brings out the Worst in Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually using MIckey Dee's as a measurement for Inflation is good one.

When I was working (Thank God that's Over since May 2021) as a field guy (Real Estate Appraiser evolving into a Mortgage Loan Officer for 48 years),
The elephant in the room is housing. People like to nitpick over personal choices like coffee or avocado toast, but they won't add up to a single mortgage payment or rent payment. Which, by the way gets more difficult to make each month. The one silver lining was I was in on the ultra-low interest rates during the Great Recession. Though, I can see how many won't have that advantage, and arguably my salary trajectory would be much better had I been in the market at a different time also.

But not as crazy as the government spending going on which is causing it all. There is only one way out of the absolutely astronomical debt the US is in and that's hyperinflation. It's here and going to get worse IMO. I read last week a group of very lofty economists said our actual inflation was at about 18% then receded some but is now escalating back up.
Spot on Joedrum. I'm not an economist but I have been Around The Block on these financial matters & the last 50 years of financial history. No long dissertations but suffice it to say that in the Jimmy Carter days, with Inflation increasing since Gerald Ford in 1974 (He used to wear a lapel pin that said WIN [Whip Inflation Now] introduced by the Oil Embargo sending gasoline and oil through the roof (comparatively speaking since WW II). Inflation numbers were purposely manipulated to "soften the blow" by the stats. At at a peak, to my recollection it was quoted at roughly 14% per year, it actually was double that. The same thing is being done today - manipulated Statistics used to "massage the data". I would concur with roughly 18% per year for 3 YEARS. A pound of bacon in 2020 was about $5 (+/-), now it's $8 for 12 ounce [or less] package - ShrinkFlation! Lastly, Inflation is Compounded. Increased prices compounded by increasing prices.

I see my shrinking drum kits as a sign of inflation and recession. Fuel and property prices have reduced my car and house size. And the stage I play on seem to be shrinking too

In some ways I don't mind smaller chocolate bars, cigarettes, beers (⅓ pint anyone?) as they are all quite toxic. I also like to reduce my footprint. The same size bag of crisps with less contents makes me sad

I don't think we will see the ShrinkFlation trend spread across our favorite instrument makers.

DW has more to lose when offending a customer than FritoLay

Same as when you're camping in Michigan's upper peninsula and jump in Lake Superior to bathe. The 59 °F (15 °C) water pretty much removes any need to wash. :oops:

Same as when you're camping in Michigan's upper peninsula and jump in Lake Superior to bathe. The 59 °F (15 °C) water pretty much removes any need to wash. :oops:
Well, whether I like it or not (Definitely NOT) at 72 yo, unfortunately, I don't need cold water to get me to this "situation". LOL. For many reasons, this being a "big" one, getting old SUX.

I remember the highest inflation in my lifetime was in 1973-4 and it was 11-12% (when I started college) and then highest in 1980 13-14% . Not a good year to buy anything. Ya know for an economic system that we humans created why does it seem to be a Frankenstein no one can control and it sometimes tries to kill us with Depression. I'm amazed this discussion has just lamented the evils of inflation and not gone all political-politics is the root of all evil and has ruined many a good thread. Kudos to you all. Dang just reading wanting to ban Oreos, Skittles, and numerous candies for cancerous dyes they contain. You know it 's funny how the color of food jades us just like with drums apparently. I've always liked Red Velvet cake and I always believed it was unique special cake and flavor-tasted no chocolate at all. Then I discover it's a chocolate cake with red dye. Dang now all I taste is chocolate cake. WTH ruined it for me. Apparently the concoction was created to promote and sell the red dye. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I wonder if they drop these dyes from these foods will it change the taste-and will it be a real taste difference or psychological? Just like drums it's all in the head apparently LOL.

So I think I counted one time getting 22 cups of coffee out of a pound of ground coffee at home at as you say roughly $6 a pound. Vs a cup of coffee out costing about $3.50 mabey. Big difference. But as someone stated previously there is a social aspect to coffee out now than in previous days. In many ways coffee shops have replaced bars I think for socializing.

I remember the highest inflation in my lifetime was in 1973-4 and it was 11-12% (when I started college) and then highest in 1980 13-14% . Not a good year to buy anything. Ya know for an economic system that we humans created why does it seem to be a Frankenstein no one can control and it sometimes tries to kill us with Depression. I'm amazed this discussion has just lamented the evils of inflation and not gone all political-politics is the root of all evil and has ruined many a good thread. Kudos to you all. Dang just reading wanting to ban Oreos, Skittles, and numerous candies for cancerous dyes they contain. You know it 's funny how the color of food jades us just like with drums apparently. I've always liked Red Velvet cake and I always believed it was unique special cake and flavor-tasted no chocolate at all. Then I discover it's a chocolate cake with red dye. Dang now all I taste is chocolate cake. WTH ruined it for me. Apparently the concoction was created to promote and sell the red dye. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I wonder if they drop these dyes from these foods will it change the taste-and will it be a real taste difference or psychological? Just like drums it's all in the head apparently LOL.
Do you remember the odd/even license plate number system on getting gasoline on certain days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back