Shine Select Custom Drums. Opinions.

Joey182

Silver Member
Hey there DW!
As most of you know I am always looking for the "next big thing". I think I just found it!
Shine drum company has accomplished themselves in the drumming industry already, and make some of the best drums I've ever heard.
I was browsing their site (http://www.shinedrums.com/ver2008/). When I saw their "Select Custom Series" set. It costs a mere 1,300$ US.
I have recently gotten a job lined up, and I will have around this amount soon.
The link for this kit is : http://www.shinedrums.com/products/selectcustom/index.htm
I will replace all heads (duh). and probably use my Pork Pie.
Whats your thoughts people??

looks like a great deal to me. tube lugs, vibrant sparkle finishes, and available custom stripes for 1300 seems unreal. shine always stood out to me amongst the other custom builders

i would because those affordable, pre sized line of drums that custom companies sometimes offer usually get the axe from lack of sales. my buddy is selling his custom shine kit with similar sizes as those for 1000...

davesshine.jpg

there is another floor tom not pictured

Not to be nosy but what job will get you 1300 bucks soon? What I'm trying to say is how long is soon and what job is lined up? Just wondering

Not to be nosy but what job will get you 1300 bucks soon? What I'm trying to say is how long is soon and what job is lined up? Just wondering

I'm really good friends with the owner of a Family owned chain surf- shop.
For my 16th birthday, He said I can have a job no problem and start the next day. Every month with the hours I will be working I will get about 1,000.
I will keep the Gretsch as a gigging kit. (Maybe).

And by the way if your going to fork over 1300 you might as well look for other drum kits like.........
Gretsch renown
(used) Mapex Saturn
Tama b/b
Tama maple
Pearl masters
And others in that price range

I'm really good friends with the owner of a Family owned chain surf- shop.
For my 16th birthday, He said I can have a job no problem and start the next day. Every month with the hours I will be working I will get about 1,000.
I will keep the Gretsch as a gigging kit. (Maybe).

Wow that's great! If your getting 1000 a month then why settle for a 1300 kit, save your money and get the exact kit that you want
I would recommend a complete custom kit like a pearl masterworks, Gretsch USA, sjc, ect
The shine kit really isn't "custom" but the higher end kits of them are.
If you get 1000 a month save up for 3 or 4 months and you can get your dream kit!

Wow that's great! If your getting 1000 a month then why settle for a 1300 kit, save your money and get the exact kit that you want
I would recommend a complete custom kit like a pearl masterworks, Gretsch USA, sjc, ect
The shine kit really isn't "custom" but the higher end kits of them are.
If you get 1000 a month save up for 3 or 4 months and you can get your dream kit!

Like a Precision Drum Co. Light blue acrylic with chrome bass drum hoops, and die-cast everything??
That is my dream right there!

Like a Precision Drum Co. Light blue acrylic with chrome bass drum hoops, and die-cast everything??
That is my dream right there!

Then go for it! The possibilities are endless when you can fork over 3000-4000 bucks on drum gear, but make sure that you are completely sure that you like the drums and that you would be happy with your big investment in the future, don't be upset later about not liking the sound of the drums, always try them out before you buy.

And by the way if your going to fork over 1300 you might as well look for other drum kits like.........
Gretsch renown
(used) Mapex Saturn
Tama b/b
Tama maple
Pearl masters
And others in that price range

nothing wrong with these kits, but i think what joey is looking for is a custom kit with a well known custom name on it, which there is nothing wrong with. i was the same way when i was younger. i absolutely love custom drums, as i own a custom kit myself, and sometimes the attention to detail and the dedication being put into "your own kit" as they build it is worth every penny. its just a piece of mind you cant get with a production line drum kit

nothing wrong with these kits, but i think what joey is looking for is a custom kit with a well known custom name on it, which there is nothing wrong with. i was the same way when i was younger. i absolutely love custom drums, as i own a custom kit myself, and sometimes the attention to detail and the dedication being put into "your own kit" as they build it is worth every penny. its just a piece of mind you cant get with a production line drum kit

That is pretty much what I'm looking for!
Any word from your friend with the Shine yet?

Wow really? That's a pretty big blow
Well if there going bankrupt than I wouldn't buy that shine drum set(no offenseREIIID DOLLARZ) because then you cant add on if you ever want to, which I would think you probably would eventually. And by the way why get the shine kit when you can get your DREAM KIT

Good choice get the kit that you really want

Back