Seriously Bent V Crash ??

ambientgreg

I Came across an 18" Sabian Vault V crash for cheap in a pawn shop. This thing was bent like a saddle on a horse! It sounded ok to my estimation being that I've never seen a v crash before...

STUPID QUESTION: Are they supposed to look like that?

I Came across an 18" Sabian Vault V crash for cheap in a pawn shop. This thing was bent like a saddle on a horse! It sounded ok to my estimation being that I've never seen a v crash before...

STUPID QUESTION: Are they supposed to look like that?

No, but if it sounds good and you can bargain the guy down, why not? When I was struggling to afford cymbals I used to buy Avedis Zildjians that had cracks cut out of them (some with pretty sizeable pie slices carved out) for cheap. They weren't great to look at and some cracks came back and ruined the cymbals, but hey, it was better than buying crappy beginner or intermediate cymbals brand new. Pawn shops bargain. Offer the guy $20 and see what he does.

No, but if it sounds good and you can bargain the guy down, why not? When I was struggling to afford cymbals I used to buy Avedis Zildjians that had cracks cut out of them (some with pretty sizeable pie slices carved out) for cheap. They weren't great to look at and some cracks came back and ruined the cymbals, but hey, it was better than buying crappy beginner or intermediate cymbals brand new. Pawn shops bargain. Offer the guy $20 and see what he does.

Thanks for the input, Dr. .. I'll swing back by and play it again and make himan offer If I decide I dig it. I'll definitely throw up some pics If I end up bringin' this one home.

If it sounds good and its all you can afford go for it like the doc I once could only afford cracked or real cheap cymbals..I once bought my 1st Paiste 2002 18" crash for $25 it had a small crack that was fixed...man did I love that cymbal, I would gig with it..didnt care about the crack until it resurfaced after about a year..

Not sure if this info will help you or not but it may give you some idea on your price offer....unless I got screwed on my used Vaults...lol

I bought 2 used Vaults....one 17" crash and one 18" crash. One was brand new "floor model" from music store bought off ebay and the other was a definate used but good shape from a member here. Paid $125 for each individual cymbal delivered to my door. I love them both. Weird thing also.....even tho they are only 1" different they are VERY different in sound(s),thickness,weight and each has to be played accordingly. The one thing they both have in common is that shimmering glass sound. I hope you get it for a good price.

My 17" is probably medium weight and takes a good whack to open it up and the 18" is thin and don't take much at all for it to open up and sing. The 18" has a beautiful bell and the 17" might as well not even have a bell...just an annoying thud/clunk....lol

I think you'll like the 18"...just don't beat it.

AND THE THE VERDICT IS....No go. I went back by the shop and played it again. Just sounded bad AND had a price tag of over $200 . In a pawn shop? Please.. Mainly I just did
not like the sound , not even a little bit. The search goes on...Thanks everyone for the input!

AND THE THE VERDICT IS....No go. I went back by the shop and played it again. Just sounded bad AND had a price tag of over $200 . In a pawn shop? Please.. Mainly I just did
not like the sound , not even a little bit. The search goes on...Thanks everyone for the input!

Holy Mother of God, $200+ for a BENT CYMBAL? Come back in 10 years and offer the fool $20, lol. I thought it might be a good opportunity to pick up a decent sounding cymbal for dirt cheap.

It's wise that you didn't pick that up. If you would have tried to unbend it there is a good chance that it would have cracked after you started playing it.

Back