Self Indulgent Ego Massage....

SquadLeader

Gold Member
I got invited last night to play on a young, up and coming, musician's next album. I think it's the nicest thing to have ever happened to me in relation to the world of music.

The band I'm in have been helping this young lad for some time. He now plays regular support slots for us when we do paid gigs. We divvy the money up five ways rather than four to make it worth his while. And it's gotten him out and about and away from his local scene and his 'comfort zone'.

I'm made up. Initially I felt I'd decline. I just don't feel competent enough. I'm not a good drummer. Enthusiastic I'd say. But our bass player persuaded me. Reckons this young lad will 'make it'. He's in the Jake Bugg mould (but a lot better). And how amazing would it be to be the drummer on the early album of someone who does well.

Jeez...I'm 45. Just hit things in a sort of industrial manner.

Wow. Sorry. I had to share my news.

That's great news! Don't worry about being 45. I'm coming into 50 and it feels different, but better to be out playing. Almost like I got mentally old enough to deal with all the other BS that goes with playing out. Good luck on how it all works out!

You're probably a lot better than you think you are. And there's something that you must add to the chemistry of his playing that he likes. Something that a younger and supposedly 'better' player doesn't have.

Sounds like a great opportunity all around.

Wow, what an accolade! I imagine you are far from being the only drummer he knows so I can only agree with what other people are saying: he must have good reasons to choose to ask you. How fantastic!

That's some good karma right there. Not that I believe in any supernatural piece of that, but it sounds like he's appreciated how cool you guys have been to him and is wants to repay you for that. Also, you wouldn't have got the call if your playing wasn't up to scratch, so congrats all around!

In my world, the biggest compliments are when people want to play with me, especially if they want my playing to be a recorded/documented part of their project. So I reckon you're doing some things well.

In my world, the biggest compliments are when people want to play with me, especially if they want my playing to be a recorded/documented part of their project. So I reckon you're doing some things well.

This. Last night I attended an open mic, which I never have done before, and the leader kept asking for me out of the 3 drummers who were present. I took it as the best of compliments. Self ego stroke finished. :)

Back