Sam Ash is closing 18 stores: UPDATE-Now closing all stores

Same thing that happened in Barnes and Noble vs. Amazon is now happening to Sam Ash. There will always be local music shops but there will be less of them.

And about companies leaving one state to another state, well that story is still being written as we speak with lots of twists and turns.
Goodbye Austin. Hello Nashville.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/austin-texas-tech-bust-oracle-tesla/

They fled California and headed to Texas, and thought . . . . . . . Austin?

while I’m not happy to see yet another music retailer close shop, let’s face it. Sam Ash was never a “go to” store for me. The only one that really fit that description for me was Manny’s, which Sam Ash acquired years ago. Sad that a venerable and well loved institution like Manny’s could be gobbled up by a larger corporate competitor, only to see the acquirer go belly up. And while Guitar Center’s CEO recently announced they would focus more on high end guitars, who really believes that is going to help them stay in business in the long term? I sure don’t. That place is run on a shoestring, and poorly at that, and their stores are virtually indistinguishable from Sam Ash stores. Sam Ash’s demise may help prop up Guitar Center initially, but unless they completely change up their entire approach to the business, they won’t last either. In fact, if Guitar Center were to go belly up as well, does anyone else think that we could end up seeing more Sweetwater stores in major markets? Not a lot but more than the one store they presently maintain. So, Sam Ash is gone. But not necessarily one I will miss……too much.

It's hard to for brick and mortar retailers to compete against online ones. There are many advantages, the greatest of which is no customers in your facility. Although customers are the lifeblood of any business, having them at arms length is a way better. The only downside to online is shipping, and that problem is small compared to the problems customers bring.

I worked as Walmart manager in a bad neighborhood for about 3 years. At the end of the day, the store would be "wrecked". The night shift would spend much of its resources cleaning up the mess left from the day.

Customer accidents were another huge liability. I don't remember the exact figure, but every time I filled out a customer accident report, it cost the company a crazy amount of money. I think it was $10,000.

I went in the CT location last week, it was a mess! No good deals at all, crap everywhere, everything in the stor, it was mostly empty, was used and as is. there was a trumpet with missing valve knobs as is??? the drums left were not a good deal and only 20% off of retail. there was a sale on a drum dial 56 from 59 buck..really??? i think they unloaded the stores and returned to the MFGs and other locations andjust kept the crap

Of course lol. That must be what it is.

Exactly lol. It’s all lies and illusion lol .
About 160 companies managing a trillion dollars have left the state the past couple of years .
I’m here . I HEAR it and SEE it . Many reasons. Mostly financial followed rules and regulations , crime, and corruption.

And those are mostly just the financial companies. Not to mention small , medium and large manufacturing and other businesses that have left . One just has to drive around the state and their small , medium and large alike downtown business areas to see the empty plants , buildings and storefronts .

Last edited:
I went in the CT location last week, it was a mess! No good deals at all, crap everywhere, everything in the stor, it was mostly empty, was used and as is. there was a trumpet with missing valve knobs as is??? the drums left were not a good deal and only 20% off of retail. there was a sale on a drum dial 56 from 59 buck..really??? i think they unloaded the stores and returned to the MFGs and other locations andjust kept the crap
When big chains go out of business, they often hire a company to come in and run it for the last few weeks/months, during which times they actually raise the prices on pretty much everything, even as the banners all trumpet "30% Off Everything!"

Back