Rogers Holiday - Bit again!

Ransan

For the vintage drum enthusiasts:
I have been on record for saying that I own my dream kit. The kit I have is a ruby or red Ludwig Vistalite with 8 toms, 2 floors, and a kick, so 11 pieces total, not a reissue, nor does Ludwig reissue in this color. I did get a couple of custom toms in melodic sizes 6” and 8” from RCI to complete suit. I know that this color was phased out with green and yellow to be replaced by the infamous smoke, white, and black cortex finishes around ‘74 due to low sales volume, so they are very limited.

I also have been on record for saying that my dream is to have a Rogers Kit specifically in Mardi Gras finish (I brought my Pearl kit in black halo glitter as I stated that’s the closest Ill get to Mardi Gras finish). I guess I’m one that follows this ‘holy grail’ conquest for drum finish utopia.

I have flown ‘close to the sun’ as I had a near purchasing experience on a Mardi Gras kit that I still think about.
I questioned my way out of that and it bothers me to this day but I think I made the proper choice...
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/vintage-rogers-kit-questions.133244/

Am I crazy to want to sell my Luddie kit to ‘finance’ the purchase of an Eagle Badged Mardi Gras kit? -its a 4 piece with matching snare.

Will the ‘dream’ just perpetuate to let’s say an Ayotte kit in sunburst with wood hoops (I love that as well)?
5EF4FBBF-CA2C-4C76-AC89-DDE0C7B21D52.jpegD5BFAF99-32F3-41A2-A158-DC8464A0CE77.jpeg

Anyone with gear flipping experience to finally settle their score please chime in!

Also, all things equal notwithstanding pieces, what I need to know is my kit (above) just as rare and valuable?

Thanks for your input.

Am I crazy to want to sell my Luddie kit to ‘finance’ the purchase of an Eagle Badged Mardi Gras kit? -its a 4 piece with matching snare.

Yes, you might be a little crazy. If I had a nickle for every time someone on this forum said "I wish I still had that"...

It's not like you can easily replace a kit like this. Do you not play them anymore?

Yes, yes, 1000 times yes. That ludwig kit can be made into just about every configuration under the sun minus bass drum sizes or double kick. It's a rare color, and there are folks who would give their left whatever for it.

If you weren't happy with the Luddies I'd say do it. This is obviously not the case, more a grass is greener on the other side thing. I've been on the other side. The grass isnt any greener, and it still needs to be mowed.

Yes, you might be a little crazy. If I had a nickle for every time someone on this forum said "I wish I still had that"...

It's not like you can easily replace a kit like this. Do you not play them anymore?
Thanks for your input IBitePrettyHard. Yes I still play the heck out of them, to avoid overuse I will set up and tear down once a year. Since owning the kit, I will set up during the summers and stow away during winter, though they are in my house. I want to mitigate as much damage as possible while they are in my care. Also I am very aware of the replacement factor color wise, they are like glass slippers, but with melodic pitches lol.

Yes, yes, 1000 times yes. That ludwig kit can be made into just about every configuration under the sun minus bass drum sizes or double kick. It's a rare color, and there are folks who would give their left whatever for it.

If you weren't happy with the Luddies I'd say do it. This is obviously not the case, more a grass is greener on the other side thing. I've been on the other side. The grass isnt any greener, and it still needs to be mowed.
MIP thanks for your vote. I am happy with the kit, but when the bug bites, you have to figure out how to fight it. Certainly a grass is greener type thing as my heart and soul has been poured into the kit.
Only thing I can figure, it’s that I don’t know what I have nor what I want. I know the Rogers Kit will be loved like a piece of China as well.
1. Do you want it? (Very much, though I know I’d have to spend some money on minor restoration.)

2. Can you afford it? (Ludwig kit value above is factored, so yes.)

3. What are you waiting for? (I am still not sure)
Lennytoons I appreciate your vote as well see answers in parentheses. As you can conclude I have thought about the first two it’s the last that I’m hung up on.

I'd snatch up the Mardi Gras kit in a heartbeat and sell the VistaLites to finance the purchase IF condition was great and it was all truly original.

You can buy Vistalites any day of the week - they're everywhere. Rogers Mardi Gras not so much.

Only thing I worry about on any Rogers are the lugs that fail - seems a very common problem that can't be avoided. If kit had the lugs prone to failure I'd hesitate.

I think Gretsch also had a Mardi Gras sorta wrap. Didn't Bo on this forum own such a kit?

The kit I look for every week is vintage Premier Made in England bop size kit. In right color and condition I will snatch it up should I see one. There was one from guy in Ireland for sale last year almost mint and at very excellent price even with shipping. I hesitated a day and then it was gone.

For the vintage drum enthusiasts:
I have been on record for saying that I own my dream kit. The kit I have is a ruby or red Ludwig Vistalite with 8 toms, 2 floors, and a kick, so 11 pieces total, not a reissue, nor does Ludwig reissue in this color. I did get a couple of custom toms in melodic sizes 6” and 8” from RCI to complete suit. I know that this color was phased out with green and yellow to be replaced by the infamous smoke, white, and black cortex finishes around ‘74 due to low sales volume, so they are very limited.

I also have been on record for saying that my dream is to have a Rogers Kit specifically in Mardi Gras finish (I brought my Pearl kit in black halo glitter as I stated that’s the closest Ill get to Mardi Gras finish). I guess I’m one that follows this ‘holy grail’ conquest for drum finish utopia.

I have flown ‘close to the sun’ as I had a near purchasing experience on a Mardi Gras kit that I still think about.
I questioned my way out of that and it bothers me to this day but I think I made the proper choice...
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/vintage-rogers-kit-questions.133244/

Will the ‘dream’ just perpetuate to let’s say an Ayotte kit in sunburst with wood hoops (I love that as well)?
View attachment 99235View attachment 99236

Anyone with gear flipping experience to finally settle their score please chime in!

Also, all things equal notwithstanding pieces, what I need to know is my kit (above) just as rare and valuable?

Thanks for your input.
LOL I would need GPS to do a fill !!

LOL I would need GPS to do a fill !!
Just keep your feet planted and you should be dialed in lol.

On this kit, I love playing Kiss ‘Makin Love’.
The part where the 2 measures of tom run fill the space.
From 2:33-2:38 5 seconds of concert tom glory. Not one to share time in studio - Ezrin must have charged Pearl some air time for that advertisement!
That has to be the most grandiose fill in rock history!

You can anticipate my suggestion before you reach the end of this sentence: Sell the Ludwig set and get another Pearl.

Seriously, that Ludwig arsenal is nothing to part with lightly. Don't let a vague desire for change lead to a decision you'll regret. Sell it only if doing so will render the fulfillment of a clear objective, such as "There's a kit I really want more, so the Ludwigs need to hit the highway." Short of that, hold your course. A reliable friend should be treasured.

I wouldn’t let that Luddie go for a dollar less than $3K. If it doesn’t sell at that price, I’d just keep it. Up to you
Thanks Push pull stroke - Yes I am aware of that.
If Bonham kits can sell for $2,400 I should have no issue with increasing, not too motivated to part with as I’m still torn.

Yeah this kit has concert toms blah blah, but how many original Ruby kits do you see like this - (6” and 8” are from RCI)?
Try to get a Ruby reissue from Ludwig, they are not a stocked item, probably will call RCI. They do great but the reissue shells lack the opacity the originals have you can easily spot a reissue in let’s say blue or amber or even clear, those take little more scrutiny.

I have the original hi hat stand, bass pedal, snare stand, all the following of Hercules hardware - all functional:
4 clip mounts 3 with stands
2 booms stand
1 cymbal stand 1 cymbal arm (used this for stacking splash over bass drum)

Last edited:
I'd snatch up the Mardi Gras kit in a heartbeat and sell the VistaLites to finance the purchase IF condition was great and it was all truly original.

You can buy Vistalites any day of the week - they're everywhere. Rogers Mardi Gras not so much.

Only thing I worry about on any Rogers are the lugs that fail - seems a very common problem that can't be avoided. If kit had the lugs prone to failure I'd hesitate.

I think Gretsch also had a Mardi Gras sorta wrap. Didn't Bo on this forum own such a kit?

The kit I look for every week is vintage Premier Made in England bop size kit. In right color and condition I will snatch it up should I see one. There was one from guy in Ireland for sale last year almost mint and at very excellent price even with shipping. I hesitated a day and then it was gone.
Thanks Rattlin, I for some reason fell upon the Mardi Gras finish from Rogers.
To part this kit conditions need to suffice such as shells, edges, wrap, tags, etc. The kit I’m looking at does meet those conditions, also tags in very good condition that say what I’m after.
I can’t explain it except I am intrigued about drum finishes and wraps. I love the salesman, black pearls, the psych red, the moires, the sparkles, lacquers, exotic woods, all of that stuff!

That Gretsch wrap that Maxwell did/does is fine, but it’s like putting the Ford Cobra Mystic paint job on a Corvette, just no.

By the way the Premier you saw was it that Aquamarine sparkle outfit - that is stunning!
Yes I am looking for a Royal/Super Ace in that color very beautiful and my birthstone.

Mix Mardi Gras flakes in clear coat and spray your Ludwigs. :ROFLMAO:

My dream kit keeps changing. I have a couple of them, but am eyeing another. ?
Haha.
The second part is what I’m asking as well.
Will this be perpetuated?

When you got your second dream kit what is it you are after in your continuing kit conquest?

You can anticipate my suggestion before you reach the end of this sentence: Sell the Ludwig set and get another Pearl.

Seriously, that Ludwig arsenal is nothing to part with lightly. Don't let a vague desire for change lead to a decision you'll regret. Sell it only if doing so will render the fulfillment of a clear objective, such as "There's a kit I really want more, so the Ludwigs need to hit the highway." Short of that, hold your course. A reliable friend should be treasured.
C.M. I’m with ya’ on for the majority of your advice. The desire is not vague though it’s very specific lol, I may like other kits but they aren’t moving me like this specific kit does. Something about them.

Actually in your first paragraph alluding to Pearl, that is what lead me to these. Originally I wanted a 1970s Pearl Eight Brothers melodic concert tom kit (equivalent to octaplus) sort of like Peter Criss’ kit, the white moire finish would have been killer but think that was custom. First starting to research I had no idea Ludwig Octaplus was a thing though I’d seen one when I was younger.

Any particular reason aside from $$$ that you cant get the Roger's kit and still keep the Ludwig? No reason to give up one dream for another.

Any particular reason aside from $$$ that you cant get the Roger's kit and still keep the Ludwig? No reason to give up one dream for another.
Thanks MIP - Well the $$$ is exactly the issue. I’ve thought about using my other gear to sell off but not sure I have enough to finance.
If I had the two and my Sessions (I’ve oft said “that’s the closest I’ll get to owning Mardi Gras”) I’d be in puppy heaven!

I have started to save in case the ad stays wife is aware and onboard as she realizes that hope is keeping me at bay, I would grab otherwise.

Oh - I thought Gretsch had an original Mardi Gras from back in the day, not a new wrap.

Thanks Rattlin, I for some reason fell upon the Mardi Gras finish from Rogers.
To part this kit conditions need to suffice such as shells, edges, wrap, tags, etc. The kit I’m looking at does meet those conditions, also tags in very good condition that say what I’m after.
I can’t explain it except I am intrigued about drum finishes and wraps. I love the salesman, black pearls, the psych red, the moires, the sparkles, lacquers, exotic woods, all of that stuff!

That Gretsch wrap that Maxwell did/does is fine, but it’s like putting the Ford Cobra Mystic paint job on a Corvette, just no.

By the way the Premier you saw was it that Aquamarine sparkle outfit - that is stunning!
Yes I am looking for a Royal/Super Ace in that color very beautiful and my birthstone.

Oh - I thought Gretsch had an original Mardi Gras from back in the day, not a new wrap.
Lol no.
Maxwell in one of his vids, not sure which one I think the one where he’s talking bread and butter lugs.
He pulls out the 12”x8” Rogers Mardi Gras tom to say he uses that for his wrap template that he puts on the Gretsch kits - which I think is borderline asinine...

as a Rogers collector I have many contacts to other Rogers collectors and sellers

hit me up ... I can possibly help you find your dream kit

those MG kits are out there for sure you just have to open your pocket book

I owned one not long ago ... it was a pirate badge Jasper shell kit 20/12/16 circa '59/'60

I was afraid to play it because of the fragile B&B lugs so I sold it to another collector

I know quite a few guys with MG kits

as a Rogers collector I have many contacts to other Rogers collectors and sellers

hit me up ... I can possibly help you find your dream kit

those MG kits are out there for sure you just have to open your pocket book

I owned one not long ago ... it was a pirate badge Jasper shell kit 20/12/16 circa '59/'60

I was afraid to play it because of the fragile B&B lugs so I sold it to another collector

I know quite a few guys with MG kits
Thanks Tony! When you say pirate badge is that the English script logo, those were for a short time during that period correct? My actual dream Rogers kit is to have one in the showcase or Cozy configuration with the cocktail outfit.
You see is my second go around for an MG kit and I’m afraid might be my last. I’m not on FB so I can’t be part of a group. My first run in was 5 piece script, and now this one, both with the snare. The first I talked myself out of that one - but it’s pretty much like lightning strikes twice.

This particular MG is an Eagle badge is in the Starlite configuration. Has the 3 collets, not knobbys on the bass, so that tells me the snare collar should connect to the front collet in addition to tom and ride. The floor has a knobby as well. I figure I could play that a little more rather than a convo piece, as shells aren’t as fragile.

I am aware of b and bs there’s one tom that has a few cracked. So I’m aware of cranking them and they are now selling repros, do you know much about them?

That’s kinda where I’m at with my Luddies, I don’t want to play them for fear of a tom getting stuck in the clip or a seam separation during tear downs. I really only set them up and tear down once a year and I’ll have them set up for about 2-4 months. I do play them though don’t get me wrong. At this point I feel like I’m a curator that can sometimes utilize the exhibit...

Last edited:
Back