Ringo Starr... Good or bad?

James, nothing I could do or say could ever make you look thoopid. For safety's sake, I decided to leave it stand as a testament to the redundant and to forever capture the exact flavor that moment has imparted upon me, nay, the entire UNIVERSE!

I believe, back in the 60s bands made there money from record sales. Live gigs were not a money maker. Led Zep changed that, certainly in America, as Peter Grant was a very shrewd manager.
Now of course its the other way round and tours can gross millions.

Concession sales, image sales... the list is extensive. Every set of Jagger lips with a tongue licking at you is owned by the Stones Corp. I'm sure the Beatles Corp had similar arrangements. When you're that big - poster, pens, trinkets, Beatle wigs, etc... etc... makes money.

Ringo is doing fine because aside from the song royalties there were many income generators. Working class hero's and all that other rubbish... they were, are, and continue to be corporate.

James, nothing I could do or say could ever make you look thoopid. For safety's sake, I decided to leave it stand as a testament to the redundant and to forever capture the exact flavor that moment has imparted upon me, nay, the entire UNIVERSE!

Geez, Larry, you such a nice guy.

I can't even begin to imagine what Phil could possibly have done to get your dander so far up.

All the best with your forthcoming hunting expedition.

Concession sales, image sales... the list is extensive. Every set of Jagger lips with a tongue licking at you is owned by the Stones Corp. I'm sure the Beatles Corp had similar arrangements. When you're that big - poster, pens, trinkets, Beatle wigs, etc... etc... makes money.

Ringo is doing fine because aside from the song royalties there were many income generators. Working class hero's and all that other rubbish... they were, are, and continue to be corporate.

Apparently Brian Epstine was not a shrewd manager and let the Beatles image and consession rights go for a pittance, even in America. The point was that record sales made them a fortune, gigging was not financially, logistically or artistically tenable for the Beatles at that time.

My older sister saw them at Newcastle City Hall, 63 or 64 I think, and it cost her 10 shillings and sixpence to get in. They would not get rich on that. She came home with no voice from all the screaming and heard nothing above the mayhem, so they may as well have stuck pictures of them on the stage. If they had access to the sound systems and security we have now I would love to have seen them play in the 60s, they did so many gigs in Hamburg they were super tight apparently, If only you could hear them.

Ringo, al Jackson, levon helm, Clyde stubblefield, steve gadd, mick fleetwood, phil selway (radiohead), questlove, daru jones
These are song drummers, players who work with the band to compose.

Jojo Mayer, Bonham, moon, ginger, Thomas Lang.
These are (in my view) players who use the song as a vehicle.

I love the technicians, they do things that absolutely blow my mind. But I'd rather listen to the music of the song drummers.

he's good you bozos. quit worrying about how many fills and pieces you have. thats for nerds

Ringo, al Jackson, levon helm, Clyde stubblefield, steve gadd, mick fleetwood, phil selway (radiohead), questlove, daru jones
These are song drummers, players who work with the band to compose.

Jojo Mayer, Bonham, moon, ginger, Thomas Lang.
These are (in my view) players who use the song as a vehicle.

I love the technicians, they do things that absolutely blow my mind. But I'd rather listen to the music of the song drummers.

I agree, except for Bonzo. He was perfectly balanced. Best of both categories.

Here's a cool webpage that I came across...

Ringo's kits. http://www.ringosbeatlekits.com/

That was cool, thanks Paul. Really great read. Ringo's first kit looks like something you'd buy now from DW.

Ahead of your time much there Rings??

Poor Mal. I think it's crappy to treat people like subordinates. They could have at least paid him better. Cheapskates.

Thanks. Great read on Ringos' kits. Sad sad story of Mal Evans and awfully sh*tty that none of them came to his funeral.

Back