Restoring old Pearl Free Floating?

Ghawk

Hello, hope you're well.

I have this Pearl Free Floating Brass 14x3.5
There's a lot of pitting to rims and shell. I was hoping to clean these up, make it look presentable again. Is this possible to do? Or should I get new rims?

Thanks

Water and aluminium foil are your friend for chrome. It will clean up any surface rust and gunk without scratching the chrome. It wont remove or flatten pitting. It will clean out the pits however.

Thanks for your reply. I used aluminium foil on the rusty rivets and thumb screws, cleaned them up really well! I'll give a go on the hoops next

wonder is it even possible to avoid chrome pitting and rust on snares completely anyway? How?
Constant cleaning and a sealed, controlled environment. You can't control the environment usually. You can wipe it off once a week, or when you play it. A little cleaning goes a long way.

wonder is it even possible to avoid chrome pitting and rust on snares completely anyway? How?
When you first get the drum apply some form of polishing car wax on the chrome. Then you just have to buff them every now and then with a microfiber cloth or blue shop towel. I use Meguiars and I've always had good luck. One thing though. When you get an alloy like the old Ludwig aluminum drums nothing seems to work. The crome and the aluminum don't don't get along.

Back