Replacement of Sabian AAX stage ride

alex19

right, i have the ride in question and if im honest, its far too washy (????) for my liking. i want a fairly pingy sound, with little overtones and quick decay. what do you guys think i should go for. i will be selling the ride in order to fund this cymbal.
id prefer to keep it sabian as ive always had them and never been disappointed by any cymbals. the sound on this one just isnt fit for the music i play.

im in a blues/jazz/funk/groove/indie/ wierdo kinda band

thank you for any advice given.

Sabian Paragon. Beautiful ping, no wash, great bell. Cuts through anything.

The Raw Bell Dry Rides are probably Sabian's best selling ride. They come in all 4 flavors (AA, AAX, HH, HHX) and are medium-heavy with an un-lathed bell.

I used to have an HH and later, an AA. While they have amazing tone, prominent ping, and a killer bell, they don't have as much wash as I like (so I ended up with a 21" AAX Stage Ride!). Sounds to me like one of these this could be what you're looking for.

I have a 21" AAX stage ride that has no wash at all. I liked the ones I heard in the store so I found one used on Ebay for $75. It doesn't sound anything like the ones I heard in the store. I even wondered it it was a mislabled Tight Ride? Which brings me to my point. Even though you can find used cymbals much cheaper on Ebay and such, I don't buy cymbals anymore if I can't go and hit it myself. That's why I went ahead and paid three times the price for a new ride at the local music store instead of getting the "same" cymbal used online. I new I was going to like what I was getting.

I have a 21" AAX stage ride that has no wash at all. I liked the ones I heard in the store so I found one used on Ebay for $75. It doesn't sound anything like the ones I heard in the store. I even wondered it it was a mislabled Tight Ride? Which brings me to my point. Even though you can find used cymbals much cheaper on Ebay and such, I don't buy cymbals anymore if I can't go and hit it myself. That's why I went ahead and paid three times the price for a new ride at the local music store instead of getting the "same" cymbal used online. I new I was going to like what I was getting.
That's an excellent point. I played on a couple 20" AAX Stage Rides at GC and they seemed really washy to me - too much so. But the 21"-ers on mycymbal.com seemed more tame, and another local store had one that was too dry. I took a gamble and bought one sight unheard online and didn't like it at first because it seemed dry. I quickly grew to like it, though, decided it was a keeper and turned down a generous offer from someone wanting to buy it.

But I still wanted a ride that could open up easy and found a new A Zildjian 22" Medium Ride that was thinner than any I'd ever heard (I used to own one that was much heavier) at a local store. I paid full price for that sucker knowing I'd probably never find another one like it.

Cymbals are kind of weird that way. Sometimes I don't mind risking it and buying online, but it is a crap shoot. You can make educated guesses, but still you don't really know until you get it.

hm interesting post lads. i will probably get it off ebay, BUT, ill see if i can view the item before purchasing so i can check the sound out. i will also check youtube for samples of the cymbals you have mentioned. cheers

Back