Real Book Drum Transcriptions - The attempt of an educational resource - Newest transcription: "Hittin' the Jug", drummer Art Taylor

omygosh I thought "All Of Mel" (what a great title!
was some sort of nod written for Mel Lewis I never heard of ! Lol
Be a good title for a song penned by Pete Erskine or John Riley!

Last edited:
no someone has to pen "All Of Mel" !!

Dear Community,

my "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series has a new video.

In this video I present a drum transcription of the first 44 bars of the jazz standard "Stompin' at the Savoy" from the album "Brown and Roach Incorporated". "Stompin' at the Savoy" is a jazz standard written by Benny Goodman, Andy Razaf, Edgar Sampson and Chick Webb. The album was recorded on August 2, 3, 5 and 6, 1954 at Capitol Studios in Hollywood and released later that year. It is widely regarded as one of the best albums in the history of hard bop jazz.

Max Roach had an outstanding ability to give his playing a strong and driving swing. This is particularly evident in "Stompin' at the Savoy", where his feel contributes significantly to the overall feel of the piece.

Thank you for your attention!

Dear Community,

Christmas is just around the corner and it's time to swing. 🎄 In this video, my drum transcription takes you into the world of the Christmas classic "Frosty the Snowman" from the Ella Fitzgerald album "Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas".

"Frosty the Snowman" was created by composers Steve Nelson and Walter "Jack" Rollins and first released in 1950 by Gene Autry and the Cass County Boys.

The album on which this Christmas classic was eternalized was recorded between 15 July and 5 August 1960 in Los Angeles. The songs were recorded by an orchestra conducted by Frank DeVol, with Alvin Stoller most likely playing the drums and Norman Granz overseeing production.

Alvin Stoller, born on October 6, 1925 in New York City and died in 1992, was a drummer known for his versatility and adaptability. His skills allowed him to excel in various genres such as jazz, swing and popular music. During his illustrious career, he collaborated with legends such as Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Benny Goodman and Stan Kenton.

May this video take you into the jolly spirit of the holidays! Merry Christmas and a magical time for you and your loved ones! ❄️🌟

Dear Community,

there is a new jazz transcription video from me. This time it's the first 40 bars of the jazz standard "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" in a version by Milt Jackson with bebop pioneer Kenny "Klook" Clarke on drums, the "father of modern drumming". I hope you enjoy it.

Dear Community,

in my new video of my "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series I present a drum transcription of the first 56 bars of the jazz song "Money Jungle" by Duke Ellington, which may seem rhythmically strange at first hearing, although Ellington's composition is a 12-bar blues in 4/4 time, but it does not follow the traditional rhythms and forms.

The album of the same name, which Ellington recorded together with Charles Mingus and Max Roach, is considered one of the most innovative and influential jazz releases of the 1960s.

The song "Money Jungle" is characterized by its unique blend of traditional and avant-garde music and a departure from traditional blues forms. It is full of rhythmic complexity and dissonance.

I hope you enjoy this transcription and that it helps you to better understand "Money Jungle".

Have fun listening to it!

The accompanying transcriptions are available for free download to subscribers of my site www.deinschlagzeuglehrer.de.🙏 🙏 🙏

Dear Community,

in my new video of my "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series I present a drum transcription of the first 68 bars of the song "Chega de Saudade" composed by Antônio Carlos Jobim, also known as "No More Blues", from the album "O Ritmo E O Som Da Bossa Nova" by Brazilian drummer Milton Banana, released on April 30, 1963. Milton Banana was a renowned Brazilian drummer who contributed significantly to the success of Bossa Nova. He was the man who laid down the subtle and elegant groove for some historic recordings such as João Gilberto's "Chega de Saudade" and the highly acclaimed Getz-Gilberto album.

"Chega de Saudade" is a bossa nova jazz standard written in the late 1950s by Vinicius de Moraes (lyrics) and Antonio Carlos Jobim (music). The first recording of the song was made in 1957 by the Brazilian singer Elizete Cardoso and was released on her album "Canção do Amor Demais". However, her version received little attention. João Gilberto recorded the second version in 1958 and released it as a single, which became a hit and established bossa nova as a genre.

"Chega de Saudade" was recorded by numerous artists and released as "No More Blues" with English lyrics by Jon Hendricks and "Jessie Cavanaugh" (a pseudonym of music publisher Howard S. Richmond).

Thank you very much for your attention! Please leave a like and follow my channel for free.

P.S. I must confess to my shame that I unfortunately missed a rimclick, who can find the location of the missing rimclicks? 😊

Loved your pocket and brushwork. What kind of snare are you using? Sounds great with the calftone head. (y)
Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The snare drum I'm using in the video is an old Pearl snare with a regular Evans calftone head. Unfortunately I don't know the exact snare drum model, but it should be from 1969. If anyone knows more, please let me know. It's great to hear that you like the sound of it! Thank you again for your support!

Dear community,

my "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series has a new video, this time with a relaxed, groovy and earthy swing from the undeservedly not so well known Charles Crosby.

In my video, I present a drum transcription of the first 32 bars of the Mercer Ellington composed song "Thing's Ain't What They Used To Be" from the album "Down Hom Reunion" by Young Men From Memohis, released in 1959, recorded in New York City at Olmsted Sound Studios on April 15, 1959. The drummer was Charles Crosby. Crosby's drumming style is characterized by precision, groove and a tasteful use of dynamics.

Thank you very much for your attention and your support!

Dear community,

please check out my latest video on YouTube, in which I follow in Art Blakey's footsteps and perform the first 41 bars of "Four" from the Miles Davis Quinet. The transcription follows the video.

Miles Davis original "Four" was first recorded on his album “Miles Davis Quartet” at New York's Beltone Studios, on March 15, 1954. Drummer on this session was the one and only Art Blakey. Miles Davis and Art Blakey, two titans of jazz, had a notable collaboration primarily during the early 1950s. Their collaboration was significant in shaping the direction of jazz during that era.

Thanks for tuning in! Don't forget to hit the like button and sign up for more free content.

Dear community,

please check out my latest video. I transcribed the first 40 bars of the track "Blues to Elvin” from the album “Coltrane plays the Blues”, original played by Elvin Jones. The transcription follows the video.

Watch here:

The clarity of Elvin Jones' playing on this recording deserves special mention. The slow tempo suits his playing very well. Elvin's signature of slightly emphasizing the skip note in the swing is clearly audible, and his typical comping, based on eighth-note triplets, can also be found here. All in all, “Coltrane plays the Blues” is a wonderful album by Coltrane, which is also ideal for jazz newcomers and those who want to get to know jazz. One of my drum teachers, Keith Copeland, highly recommended this album to me and I would like to do the same to everyone out there.

Thank you for tuning in! Don't forget to hit the like button and sign up for more free content.

Dear community,

please check out my latest video. I transcribed the first 40 bars of the track "Blues to Elvin” from the album “Coltrane plays the Blues”, original played by Elvin Jones. The transcription follows the video.

Watch here:

The clarity of Elvin Jones' playing on this recording deserves special mention. The slow tempo suits his playing very well. Elvin's signature of slightly emphasizing the skip note in the swing is clearly audible, and his typical comping, based on eighth-note triplets, can also be found here. All in all, “Coltrane plays the Blues” is a wonderful album by Coltrane, which is also ideal for jazz newcomers and those who want to get to know jazz. One of my drum teachers, Keith Copeland, highly recommended this album to me and I would like to do the same to everyone out there.

Thank you for tuning in! Don't forget to hit the like button and sign up for more free content.
Are you reading music as you are playing or do you have that all memorized? Either way I'm impressed.

omygosh I thought "All Of Mel" (what a great title!
was some sort of nod written for Mel Lewis I never heard of ! Lol
Be a good title for a song penned by Pete Erskine or John Riley!
My Mom use to play piano and sing “All of Me” all the time. She was a song writer and I believed she wrote it when I was little kid ROFL.

Dear Community,

I have started a YouTube series called "Real Book Drumming" on my channel, which is always expanding. The Real Book is the bible for all jazz drummers. "Real Book Drumming" is meant to be a learning tool, an aid for aspiring jazz drummers. I transcribe the drum part of the original recording and then play to the themes of the songs, the transcription follows the video for better understanding. Please check my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgM-JYYAmpXkvI3hk0Wuj3KtKNIkler1s

I hope you'll like it. I look forward to a lively exchange.

Thanks for your time!
Wow, your channel is GOLD, mother lode 👏👏👏
Would you mind if i actually transcribed into Musescore for myself?
Incredible and playing also !

Back