Real Book Drum Transcriptions - The attempt of an educational resource - Newest transcription: "Hittin' the Jug", drummer Art Taylor

Dear Community,

my educational "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series has grown.

For this video, I have written a complete transcription of the piece "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy," composed by Austrian pianist Joe Zawinul, from the 1967 album "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live at 'The Club'" recorded by Julian "Cannonball" Adderley's quintet on October 20, 1966 at Capitol Studios in Hollywood. On drums, New York drummer Roy McCurdy.

"Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" has always been one of my favorite songs and it was one of the first pieces ever that I listened to out note for note more than 20 years ago in preparation for my music studies. It's interesting how listening patterns change over the years, because now I've heard things that I didn't notice or perceive differently back then.

I hope you enjoy it!
Timo-Germany,

I really enjoyed listening to that, it had such a cool vibe... nice and mellow on the kit! Great job drum buddy!

Last edited:
Dear Community,

my educational "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series has grown.

In this video, it is the first 42 bars of the piece "Equinox", composed by saxophonist John Coltrane, from the album "Coltrane's Sound" by the John Coltrane Quartet, released in July 1964, recorded for on October 26, 1960 at Atlantic Studios in New York City. On drums Coltrane's longtime companion Elvin Jones.

I hope you enjoy it!

Feel free to subscribe to my channel for more free drum content and drum videos.

Thanks a lot!

Dear Community,

my "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series goes into a new round, with one of the most brilliant fill-ins in jazz history.

In this video, it's the first 34 measures (excluding the eleven-bar prelude with piano and bass) of the piece "So What," composed by Miles Davis, recorded on March 02, 1959 in New York City for the Miles Davis album "Kind of Blue." On drums James "Jimmy" Cobb.Jimmy.

Cobb's drumming on "So What" is a masterful example of restrained and tasteful playing. His ability to maintain a steady, unobtrusive, yet simultaneously driving pulse throughout the track while still contributing to the overall structure and mood of the music is quite cinematic. One noticeable thing right at the beginning is that Cobb plays the first theme (AABA) in his right hand on a ride cymbal with a broom and holds a stick in his left hand. One of the most standout moments in Cobb's playing on "So What" is just before the trumpet solo. Here, Cobb plays a beautiful fill-in that serves as a transition to the trumpet solo. What is particularly impressive about this fill-in is its simplicity, musicality, and precision. The combination of the sounds of the broom and sticks in the fill-in blend beautifully with the character of the piece. Cobb doesn't try to make a big show of himself, instead he provides just the right momentum and energy to drive the music forward at that point.

I hope you enjoy it!

Hey everyone, I'm excited to share my latest drum transcription of "Question and Answer" by Pat Metheny, featuring the incredible drumming of Roy Haynes! 🥁🎶 This tune is a classic in the jazz world, and Haynes' drumming on the original recording is simply amazing.

"Question and Answer" is a classic ¾ time piece by Pat Metheny, featuring the complex and refined drumming of none other than drummer Roy Haynes. Released in 1989 as part of the album "Question and Answer", the piece has a fast-paced and energetic melody, which Roy Haynes supports perfectly with his precise and agile playing. From the first beat, Haynes' way of playing the ride cymbal, with its intricate patterns and polyrhythmic embellishments, and the stepped articulate hi-hat interjections, provides a driving beat and lays the foundation upon which the rest of the band can easily build, always being in service of the song. Overall, Roy Haynes' drumming on "Question and Answer" is a masterpiece of jazz drumming. His technical prowess, musical sensibilities and creative flair combine to create a unique performance that stands the test of time.

Whether you're a jazz drummer or just a fan of great music, I think you'll find this transcription to be a valuable resource. So head over to my channel and give it a watch! And while you're there, don't forget to subscribe for more great drum transcriptions and lessons.

Hello dear community! 🥁🎶 I'm pleased to share my latest video featuring a drum transcription and performance of the first 36 bars of "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum" by Wayne Shorter, played by the legendary Elvin Jones. Jones' drumming on the original recording is simply incredible beyond compare.

For those interested in studying Jones' playing, I highly recommend my video on my YouTube channel. In addition to the transcription, I also play the piece to give some insights into Jones' playing.

Wayne Shorter's album "Speak No Evil" is one of my all-time favorite albums, and Jones' drumming is a big reason why. His use of polyrhythms, dynamic range, and musical sensibility is truly inspiring, and I hope my transcription and performance can help others better understand his genius.

So check out my channel and while you're there, don't forget to subscribe to my channel to hear more drum transcriptions and performances.

Thank you!

Thank you very much!!! That's fantastic to hear! I'm thrilled that you're enjoying this thread so much and I'm glad to see that I've hit the mark with this particular thread.

If you have any suggestions for song that you'd like to see transcribed in the future, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Hey everyone! I'm excited to share my latest video, a performance and drum transcription of "Song for My Father" by Horace Silver, featuring the drumming of Roger Humphries.

This piece is a jazz classic with an infectious groove and a memorable melody. Roger's drumming blends elements of jazz, funk and Latin rhythms to create a unique and exciting sound. I've transcribed the first 56 bars note for note of his performance and I can't wait for you all to check it out. Follow the link to watch the video and let me know what you think in the comments! While you're there, don't forget to subscribe to my channel to hear more drum transcriptions and performances.

Thank you!

Me and Roger above ^ split a gig once
Seen him 1/2 dozen over the years
we shared a gig once/I started/ he finished/ he used my drums / and we "split the pay"/ every body in area "knows" Roger..)
and that song was played at every small jazz gig ( I was at) up until recently for decades)
````````````````````
next

Love to see that Intro.. 1st 13 seconds and then ya know few bars into the song/
I'll pay (pal $5) ya to do it

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm excited to share my latest video, a performance and drum transcription of "Song for My Father" by Horace Silver, featuring the drumming of Roger Humphries.

This piece is a jazz classic with an infectious groove and a memorable melody. Roger's drumming blends elements of jazz, funk and Latin rhythms to create a unique and exciting sound. I've transcribed the first 56 bars note for note of his performance and I can't wait for you all to check it out. Follow the link to watch the video and let me know what you think in the comments! While you're there, don't forget to subscribe to my channel to hear more drum transcriptions and performances.

Thank you!
Timo, this was one of my favorites, I enjoyed this piece very much! Awesome job!

Thank you!

Admit it - you have a copy of my set list, don’t you? 🤣

Fantastic job, I love it.

🙂

Me and Roger above ^ split a gig once
Seen him 1/2 dozen over the years
we shared a gig once/I started/ he finished/ he used my drums / and we "split the pay"/ every body in area "knows" Roger..)
and that song was played at every small jazz gig ( I was at) up until recently for decades)

Love to see $5 that Intro.. 1st 13 seconds and then ya know few bars into the song/
I'll pay (pal $5) ya to do it
V
Timo, this was one of my favorites, I enjoyed this piece very much! Awesome job!
Thank you so much!!!!
Admit it - you have a copy of my set list, don’t you? 🤣

Fantastic job, I love it.

🙂
Damn, gotcha. :) Thanks a lot!!!

Dear Community,

my educatioal "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series has grown. I transcribed the first 44 bars of „Milestones“ by Miles Davis of Philly Joe Jones drumming.

In the video, I perform my transcription of 44 bars of Philly Joe's playing, showing his use of the bass drum and swinging ride cymbal pattern.

"Milestones" is a landmark recording that marked a significant shift in jazz, with its modal approach and innovative use of harmony. It features a powerhouse lineup with Miles Davis on trumpet, John Coltrane on tenor saxophone, Red Garland on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, and, of course, Philly Joe Jones on drums.

Dear Community,

my educational "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series has grown. Please don't miss my latest YouTube video for which I have fully transcribed and perform the drumming of the legendary Sonny Greer in the first recording of "Take the 'A' Train" by Duke Ellington.

The original 1941 recording is a true classic and it's a pleasure to break down and perform such an important piece of jazz history. I must admit that my transcription is more of an interpretation in many places, because due to the recording technology of the time, we are talking about 1941, many nuances of Sonny Greer's drumming are not very well visible. However, I have tried to do justice to Greer's playing to the best of my knowledge. For example, I'm pretty sure he uses a brush pattern that was applied by many swing drummers of that era. In addition, I assume that he later switches from brushes to sticks, and then first accompanies on a half-open hi-hat, after which he switches to a ride, in my opinion, but it could also be a china or a swish cymbal, which was patented by Zildjian in 1940. Due to the quality of the recording, it is difficult to say. I hope you will still find fun in my video and can select something for you.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:
Dear Community,

my educational "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series has grown. Please don't miss my latest YouTube video for which I have fully transcribed and perform the drumming of the great Denzil Best in the famous version of "Autumn Leaves" by Erroll Garner. Denzil Bests drumming on this recording is a perfect example of how less can be more in jazz.

Denzil Best's drumming on this recording is a masterclass in subtlety and finesse. His tasteful use of brushes on the snare and cymbals, combined with his precise and understated fills, perfectly complement Garner's piano.

Thanks for watching!

Hello dear community,

my "Real Book Drumming" YouTube series is going into a new round.

In this video, it's the first 40 bars of the jazz standard "Solar" by Miles Davis, composed by Chuck Wayne, recorded on April 3, 1954 for the album "Walkin'". The drumming on this recording is by the legendary Kenny Clarke.

Kenny Clarke's brush playing on Solar is wonderful. He sets a relaxed and swinging groove from the start, playing with a light touch and lots of nuance and texture. Throughout the piece, Clarke's playing supports and drives the rest of the band, providing a steady pulse, but also leaving room for improvisation.

As one of the pioneers of bebop drumming, Clarke's contributions to jazz are immeasurable. I hope this video inspires you to take a closer look at his playing and the art of brush playing.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:
Some jazz for the weekend!

I transcribed the first 44 measures of "Stella by Starlight" as played by the great drummer Roy Haynes when he recorded this piece with saxophonist Stan Getz in 1952. "Stella by Starlight" is a beautiful jazz standard originally written by Victor Young for the movie "The Uncanny Guest." It became one of the most played pieces in jazz and has inspired many famous performers.

I tried to capture Roy Haynes playing, who is one of the most influential and innovative drummers in jazz. He has played with many legends, such as Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk and Chick Corea. He is still active and will be 97 years old this year (2023)!

I hope you enjoy my video!

Please share it with your friends and subscribe to my channel for more videos. I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Thank you for your interest!

Back